Why semi-FF? Truth is that the Commerce Age is boring

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

Re: Why semi-FF? Truth is that the Commerce Age is boring

Post by iamgaming »

Move falc to 2nd age, problem solved, happy European civs.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

scarm wrote:tbqh mega-campaigns are where its at. We need file transfer to Victoria thr...... two. Let's break the arbitrary boundaries imposed on us by the microsoft bourgeoisie and go even beyond imperial age.
Age of Empires.....In SPACE!!!
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

What's ironic is that Mitoe is probably one of the top players who stays in age2 the longest lol
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

"Men are born equal, but some of them are more equal."

Some civ semi-FF with 40+ vills, while some semi-FF with 20 vills and no steel trap, no skirm, no cannon.
Canada klonko
Skirmisher
ESO: klonko

Post by klonko »

Astaroth wrote:What's ironic is that Mitoe is probably one of the top players who stays in age2 the longest lol
Despite all the semi-ff lobbying and the fact he stays age 2 so long and he finds a way to be top 10, Mitoe best player confirmed?
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

If muskets weren't an inherently broken unit, then the game, and colonial in particular, would be much better/more interesting.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Canada MasterOfDoot
Crossbow
ESO: MasterOfDoot

Post by MasterOfDoot »

Historically, it makes sense that the forstress age has the military edge too. The ''Commerce'' or ''Colonial'' age is an era of expansion, you're building up infrastructure; market, rax, housing, church, TPs (trading post for commerce). In real life, it's when the europeans started establishing more colonies in North America. The military presence of this era is quite limited in scope and fights were mostly small skirmishes and raids with natives and european competitors. Once the colonies are firmly established and stable, we move to the ''Fortress age'' (I don't think it's an actual term, but probably based from 1750s to the industrial era) is more militarized, you build forts, more military infrastructure, defenses, etc... So ''Colonial'' age is expanding your colony, Fortress age has increased military presence.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Darwin_ wrote:If muskets weren't an inherently broken unit, then the game, and colonial in particular, would be much better/more interesting.
This, but honestly I think a lot of units are inherently broken in all eras of the game and why compositions look extremely repetitive for my eyes rather than players reacting and countering but true enough this does especially apply to Muskets of all sorts. They really missed an opportunity with muskets, making them evolve and improve with the times rather than being a ranged pike right from the get go.

On topic though, it doesn't help that numerous civs don't have units that properly counter Muskets and/or they are saddled with significant drawbacks like set up time. Still think Muskets should get a ranged attack penalty against ranged infantry (skirms/bows) but that's one of 'numerous' things I'd like done with the counter system.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Encourage Native TPs control, make native warriors worth. Make grenadiers anti-inf unit rather than a siege unit.

There are literally native skirms with twice the health a standard musketeer would have.
Great Britain EGCTV
Musketeer

Post by EGCTV »

I spend 3 months blowing my inheritance on show matches and recruiting moles all to further the semi-FF cause just for Mitoe to blow cover in an ESOC post.

Ffs dude.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think the original discussions were more nuanced and slowly devolved into this simple one liner. Idc about commerce or fortress age, but I'd argue that through the years much of the game devolved into a sort of nr10 gameplay with one big fight in fortress age that decides the game. This happened through maps and imo through a bias in the balancing process. Its more fair and balanced and maybe more skillful and interesting, but I cant help but think the game also got a bit more boring.
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

helln00 wrote:I feel like this is dividing the community, we should be working together so that all Ages can be played and not fall to the tyranny of the Ages Lobbies, be it the Commerce Lobby, Fortress Lobby, Industrial Lobby, the Imperial Lobby or the Exploration CBD pioneer rush Lobby.
You forgot the revolution lobby, that’s it I’m starting a riot
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Why doesn’t the sea have more resources? Seems like an easy fix to the semiFF meta.
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If every water map had 3x the fish and 2x the Whales semi ff would be less viable
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

to be honest age 1 doesnt make any sense. Wish AoE3 was more like SC2 where there can be action immediatelly.
Great Britain _NT_sven
Dragoon
Donator 06
Clan: NTDE

Post by _NT_sven »

InsectPoison wrote:to be honest age 1 doesnt make any sense. Wish AoE3 was more like SC2 where there can be action immediatelly.
That's not quite true. Treasures affect your build order a lot, and the order of scouting is also important. Based on that, age 1 is essentially a psychological battle between the two players, each trying to gain small advantages for oneself while frustrating the other's early plan. It might be more accurate to say that only a peaceful age 1 where each player gets some small treasures evenly is not that important.
Plum blossoms fall below the steps like whirling snow;
They cover me still though brushed off a while ago.

-Tune: "Pure Serene Music", Li Yu (937-978 AD), the Last Lord of Southern Tang Dynasty
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

age1 currently is also a mechanics test. you might think its all the same, but watch some elo 1200 micro his starting vills and you know he is already far behind a better player. You can argue that the skill ceiling is low as high level players can micro the start well everytime, but for the ~90% players, thats already a challenge where some do better then others and start to create advantages in the first minute.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

I personally also think it makes it way easier for newcomers to play the game because you don't have to be worried about a minute 1 zergling or zealot or some other meme shit. Maybe that is just me but i distinctly remember really liking that period of peace when i started playing.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

scarm wrote:I personally also think it makes it way easier for newcomers to play the game because you don't have to be worried about a minute 1 zergling or zealot or some other meme shit. Maybe that is just me but i distinctly remember really liking that period of peace when i started playing.
It's one of a number of things that separates age of empires from other RTS franchises that you get this little moment of peace early on to scout, explore, strategise.

I like it.

I think aoe2 shows a lot of people like it.

That's not to say that the pacing is inherently superior to the SC2 model but it's a defining characteristic of the series. People will prefer one over the other. There's clearly interest in both and importantly you can be successful with both hence I see no reason for age to make any changes to the formula.
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

somp wrote:aging up should be a heavy investment that can be punished if scouted well but this is not the case in many MUs. but if it gets more expensive and shit, then some colo civs get too strong and everything is balanced around semi-ff meta so its hard to change. it should be a rock-paper-scissors between aging up/pushing/not pushing but its mostly a rock-rock-rock.

this works usually better going industrial. i.e in otto mirror FI beats passive FF but aggressive FF beats FI.

musket wars are boring but skirm wars are just the same.
So not pushing should beat pushing?
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Hawk_Girl wrote:
somp wrote:aging up should be a heavy investment that can be punished if scouted well but this is not the case in many MUs. but if it gets more expensive and shit, then some colo civs get too strong and everything is balanced around semi-ff meta so its hard to change. it should be a rock-paper-scissors between aging up/pushing/not pushing but its mostly a rock-rock-rock.

this works usually better going industrial. i.e in otto mirror FI beats passive FF but aggressive FF beats FI.

Yeah. Assuming both do the same and units walk for +30 seconds across the map, basically the player defending should have more units and better enforcements with all the other benefits of the defender (los, mm, tc+outpost fire etc).

Obviously, if player X is significantly better than Y, then rock-paper-scissors wont matter at all.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

Remove the fast age up to fortress. You either stay on age2 or risk it all on a ff.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

somp wrote:
Hawk_Girl wrote:

Yeah. Assuming both do the same and units walk for +30 seconds across the map, basically the player defending should have more units and better enforcements with all the other benefits of the defender (los, mm, tc+outpost fire etc).

Obviously, if player X is significantly better than Y, then rock-paper-scissors wont matter at all.
This is complicated by the fact that the defending player lacks map control.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Jets wrote:Remove the fast age up to fortress. You either stay on age2 or risk it all on a ff.
Sounds refreshing, so the current FF civs keep FFing every game, while basically every other civ just makes musks or loses
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote:
somp wrote:
Show hidden quotes

This is complicated by the fact that the defending player lacks map control.
Not really.

I.e in brit mirror if you make a forward base and your opponent makes a home-base, you do not want to push into the base unless you think he is aging. Pushing into equally massed base is a bad idea. If the base player pushes into equally massed fb (running out of hunts), he should lose, he is the pusher.
In AOE its always complicated and any skill gap can turn around the game. But in my opinion, it should follow the rock-paper-scissors mechanism.

^ No fast age would indeed make i.e french mirror much more interesting.