Transendence Ability and Flying Crows, a breakdown

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Transendence Ability and Flying Crows, a breakdown

Post by callentournies »

If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Re: Transendence Ability and Flying Crows, a breakdown

Post by uberjz »

somewhat relevant thread: viewtopic.php?f=982&t=21824

perhaps temple of heaven is more viable than people gave it credit for?
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

callentournies wrote:
Just yesterday I was wondering who a certain deleted user with 12k posts was when I realized a certain senior Callen was missing from all recent discussions. Seems like you are still alive though.
Also, time for the semiffgang to nerf some broken stuff it seems
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

This is fine. Has basically never been abused in 15 years of the game and will not come into play in like 99,xx % of china games.

Really funny though.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Transcendence is supposed to heal your units up to 1000 total hp, not make artillery immortal. So it's not fine, it's a bug.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Isn't this just the units healing up to 1k hitpoints over a period of time? Or does it heal more than that?
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I can't find a changelog but I believe the transcendence ability was buffed to have no heal cap on DE. And it clearly isn't just 1k hp, since both heroes go from dead to 1.8k hp (full hp).
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

callentournies wrote:I can't find a changelog but I believe the transcendence ability was buffed to have no heal cap on DE. And it clearly isn't just 1k hp, since both heroes go from dead to 1.8k hp (full hp).
Good point. If it's a bug (unintended), it should be fixed of course. If it was intended, then IMO it is fair enough because the wonder essentially doesn't get used.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Yeah I also think it as buffed at some point, but healing should be a one time thing, not keeping china units immortal while fighting.

@Astaroth just because it's unused doesn't mean it should be made OP. How is that fair?
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

The heal cap was removed intentionally to buff the power, as Transcendence was considered the worst wonder power in the game by far.
However, to be honest I never even realized it can re-heal units multiple times throughout a battle. The cap was previously so low that it could not ever realistically happen I guess. Still not really sure that it's OP when I think of all the other wonder bonuses, but it looks viable now at least.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

@harcha IMO that's exactly the wrong way of talking about balance. You shouldn't just look at one isolated thing and decide if it's OP.

Instead, balance is always a question of context. If e.g. a civ has a weak overall unit roster and a weak eco, it makes sense if one of its units is "OP" because the civ itself is not OP.

The same goes for this: it basically never happens in game, the wonder is very weak overall and even if you reach this point you can still counter it np (e.g. go back and wait for the ability to run out). By removing funny little quirks like this you just make the game less diverse and overall more dull.

@EAGLEMUT exactly. This is like nowhere near OP and essentially every other wonder is still much better.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I remmember that it was changed to heal to full. What is probably happening that the heal is set to stop when the unit reaches full HP. This means that during this period it will always try to heal to full, so attacking it during the period any damage dealt will be healed off until the unit has full HP.

If you want this gone, I guess introduce a time limit to the heal but increase the heal rate so that you can reach the max HP faster. Or to counter it just w8 until the unit reaches max HP
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

helln00 wrote:If you want this gone, I guess introduce a time limit to the heal but increase the heal rate so that you can reach the max HP faster. Or to counter it just w8 until the unit reaches max HP
I believe there is already a time limit of 20 seconds, rather than being based on max hp. Maybe that time could be tweaked (lowered). Also would definitely be good to display this timer somewhere on the UI.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

20 seconds during which your high HP units basically cannot die sounds extremely stupid, regardless of how strong or weak the wonder is overall.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
helln00 wrote:If you want this gone, I guess introduce a time limit to the heal but increase the heal rate so that you can reach the max HP faster. Or to counter it just w8 until the unit reaches max HP
I believe there is already a time limit of 20 seconds, rather than being based on max hp. Maybe that time could be tweaked (lowered). Also would definitely be good to display this timer somewhere on the UI.
its 20 seconds? whoa thats much longer than what it feels like using it. I feel like there has to be some kind of a stop at max HP cause otherwise it would kinda imply that chinese units are immune from damage for 20 seconds, which I don't think happens when I use it normally.

Though I guess its still possible for units to be oneshot
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

hmm if its 20 second and doesn't stop at max hp, there are some fun shenannigans you can pull off besides the crow stuff.

Consulate gendarmes/cav and monk essentially have 20 secs of infinite tankability
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

How can you argue its the wrong way to argue about balance. The wonder never behaved like that until recently currently making your artilerry units immortal and reviving the monk(s) back up to 1800 hp. Its such an obvious bug
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

Hazza54321 wrote:How can you argue its the wrong way to argue about balance. The wonder never behaved like that until recently currently making your artilerry units immortal and reviving the monk(s) back up to 1800 hp. Its such an obvious bug
Reviving monks back to 1800 is intended, it has been like this for like a while now. The immortal artillery thing might be a bug or some weird interaction that probably should be fixed
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Astaroth wrote:@harcha IMO that's exactly the wrong way of talking about balance. You shouldn't just look at one isolated thing and decide if it's OP.

Instead, balance is always a question of context. If e.g. a civ has a weak overall unit roster and a weak eco, it makes sense if one of its units is "OP" because the civ itself is not OP.

The same goes for this: it basically never happens in game, the wonder is very weak overall and even if you reach this point you can still counter it np (e.g. go back and wait for the ability to run out). By removing funny little quirks like this you just make the game less diverse and overall more dull.

@EAGLEMUT exactly. This is like nowhere near OP and essentially every other wonder is still much better.
You should if the isolated thing is OP. Units are not supposed to be invincible, especially ones that are high damage dealers like crows. To see that this is ridiculously OP you should just refer to OP.

Is there any notification when the healing ends or that it is currently active? I think the ability should be much shorter than 20 seconds if they are going to stick with this way of design, and it shouldn't be strong enough to make a unit invincible when focused down with this much DPS.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

If we're going to nerf this wonder back to never being used again, pls give back the good age 4 rattans / old han / 119 vills in age 5
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

@Squamiger not my wish, just don't make units unkillable
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Well this is interesting, I just re-tested the ability on RE and it seems like it in fact does not repeatedly heal ever, even when the terribly low heal cap has not been reached. It is however defined the exact same way with an active time of 20 seconds. At this point I don't know what was even originally intended to happen here. Another factor is that the power was clearly last-minute swapped for a completely different effect before TAD release, so maybe the original devs left the active time there by mistake and now it somehow started working on DE :hmm:
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

in engineering we call this a hidden bug or hidden fault
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

the big vanilla lobby is always trying to bring china down
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

harcha wrote:in engineering we call this a hidden bug or hidden fault
*Hidden feature