Bye for now

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: Bye for now

Post by gibson »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:The game is unplayable within its relative context. At the highest level, small bugs and details make the game competitive unplayable. That's not to say that you can't have fun playing it.
I watch people play at "the highest level" regularly and very rarely see any bugs, funny. It's more playable than casted EP tournament games, which lagged like shit 75% of the time. Pretty funny to see people at "the highest level" grinding lobby games preparing for tourneys in a game that's unplayable.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Kinda agree with gibbo, it does seem like a placebo (or rather "nocebo"?) effect. Nostalgia about the EP days sugarcoats their perception of the past and today's accumulated frustration (from many different stress sources) warps their estimation of the current situation
spoiler
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

DE's shitness amuses me so much that I like it when consumed in small amounts.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag oldskool_bro
Musketeer

Post by oldskool_bro »

sad message. now that arg_fare can finally play definitiv edition. he bought a new computer for $ 150 and it works
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I bought the game recently and in roughly 50 games, I once had a unit stuck in a tp socket and twice in a mine. Compared to what a lot of people reported, it seems to be improving in that regard.
Shift click not working or units randomly stopping halfway along their path has been more frequent unfortunately.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Just build a proper computer, laptops are a joke
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:Just build a proper computer, laptops are a joke
Yea many people's issues stem from playing on shitty hardware. The game is not good, but when you play it on a potato it goes from simply not good to downright dogshit.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Dolan wrote:Just build a proper computer, laptops are a joke
why would you build apc currently?
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Coz it's a very useful tool for both fun and work.

PS. You mean in this market? Yeah, you shouldn't, unless you have to.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

princeofkabul wrote:DE's shitness amuses me so much that I like it when consumed in small amounts.
u perv
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I always struggle a bit to understand how some people seem to only enjoy exactly one game. As if its either aoe3 or nothing at all. I just dont get it.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I always struggle a bit to understand how some people seem to only enjoy exactly one game. As if its either aoe3 or nothing at all. I just dont get it.
Because when you like something, you do it. The more you play the more you get good at it, and the more you are implicated into it.

That's the same for a lot of videogames, but irl people act the same for their hobbies.

You can compare games and sports, or music or everything : do how many different sports you want but you will have one main that you are kind of good at and usually people don't change easily.

People starting piano when they are a child will mostly play piano when they're grown and basically don't change for another instrument.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RTS, or even strategy games in general, get significantly more fun when you get good at them. So the more you play them, the more committed you naturally get. And if you're spoiled by the replayability and depth of a good strategy game, other types of games will seem boring and shallow in comparison while other games in the same genre will (justifiably) seem insurmountable. The key in switching from one strategy game to another is accepting, really accepting, that you will always suck, and finding a way to have a rewarding experience regardless.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Cleters wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:I always struggle a bit to understand how some people seem to only enjoy exactly one game. As if its either aoe3 or nothing at all. I just dont get it.
Because when you like something, you do it. The more you play the more you get good at it, and the more you are implicated into it.

That's the same for a lot of videogames, but irl people act the same for their hobbies.

You can compare games and sports, or music or everything : do how many different sports you want but you will have one main that you are kind of good at and usually people don't change easily.

People starting piano when they are a child will mostly play piano when they're grown and basically don't change for another instrument.
I mostly play football but I'd totally enjoy other sports from time to time. Actually I kinda miss PE and all the variety of sports I got to enjoy. Even know I sometimes play squash and ofc I go running from time to time.

I totally understand that you focus on one sport, or one game, or one instrument. But I dont understand how you can love aoe3 as much as kaiser once did but apperantly dont care for any other gaming experience at all. Not even in the slightest. Thats the bit I struggle to understand.

The instrument example is maybe not so accurate. Games are much more accessible than instruments, many games are even designed to be somewhat accessible. If instruments were more accessible I'd play many more instruments.
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

@RefluxSemantic

There are many reasons that someone would want to stay with one game rather than switch:

- Can be a social outlet. Especially at Kaiser's level where he has people fanboying over him.
- People have different personalities, some prefer familiarity over interchangeability.
- Time constraints. Takes time to learn new games, as we get older can only devote so much time to gaming.
- Like the exact time period, units, gameplay...etc of that specific game.

I have been playing AOE3 since 2005 and fall into the last three.
Just because you don't understand why people do what they do doesn't make it less valid.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

It's funny because the impression an outsider gets is that the game is in a worse state now than it was before, despite having a ton of high profile tournaments being hosted.

It's hard to say. I think in other ways the game is more healthy than it has ever been. Maybe the devs really need to focus on ironing out performance issues and bugs. Game seems really unpolished, which sadly seems to be the norm these days. Gaming is just not as fun unless you go after titles that have been out for a year or two already.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Buy a PC it is worth ALL the money, you can also play other games than just AOE 3 and generally do a LOT of stuff.. the fact that you have been playing on a laptop THIS good means you can become godlike with a PC.. Do not retire just yet man try to find a solid RTX card for a good price and you will be set for the next years easily.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Problem is getting a good or mid-level graphics card at anywhere close to retail is essentially impossible right now. Can't beat bots man.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Warno wrote:@RefluxSemantic

There are many reasons that someone would want to stay with one game rather than switch:

- Can be a social outlet. Especially at Kaiser's level where he has people fanboying over him.
- People have different personalities, some prefer familiarity over interchangeability.
- Time constraints. Takes time to learn new games, as we get older can only devote so much time to gaming.
- Like the exact time period, units, gameplay...etc of that specific game.

I have been playing AOE3 since 2005 and fall into the last three.
Just because you don't understand why people do what they do doesn't make it less valid.
I understand, except for some pretty significant details:
1. Many games are super accessible and fun. Learning curves of minutes or a few hours for an amazing experience.
2. Time constraints. I dont think Kaiser experiences a lot of time constraints. Especially if he doesnt play aoe3 anymore.

Ultimately I just cant imagine that someone like Kaiser wouldnt enjoy other games.
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

JKProwler wrote:Recently saw a video of Aussie Drongo beating Kaiser then now I see him resigning.

Coincidence?

Hmmm
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Watch out when he comes back with a super computer. He gonna reach final form.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Damn was Kaiser really still playing on the shitty notebook he used for ep? Dude get an actual monitor and keyboard, you will start thumping these kids even harder. I gained like 200 elo when I switched lol
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Warno wrote:@RefluxSemantic
Ultimately I just cant imagine that someone like Kaiser wouldnt enjoy other games.
Well, personally I get to play computer games only once a week giving my busy schedule. And when I play once a week, I only play Age of Empires 3 Definitive Edition because I simply love this game and cannot imagine not playing it.

However, before Aoe3 DE came out, that slot was taken up by Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition. But haven't played aoe2 for the past seven months because aoe3 is far more entertaining (A shock to many of you!).

But if I don't play aoe3 then I end up playing either aoe2, aoe1 or aom. So, yes a big fan of the Age of Empires franchise.

Tried Sim City and Command and Conquer in my teens but they're pale in comparison to aoe. So, yes I only play aoe.
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

Squamiger wrote:Damn was Kaiser really still playing on the shitty notebook he used for ep? Dude get an actual monitor and keyboard, you will start thumping these kids even harder. I gained like 200 elo when I switched lol
I have noticed that professionals urge players to play on a desktop rather than a laptop. I get it why they say it. But what's wrong with a laptop with a good 17-inch screen? That's enough to see everything clearly.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Squamiger wrote:Damn was Kaiser really still playing on the shitty notebook he used for ep? Dude get an actual monitor and keyboard, you will start thumping these kids even harder. I gained like 200 elo when I switched lol
We are talking about the person who used that same notebook in a Lan tourney setting with all desktop already ready. He is going to play with that notebook come hell or high water, probably even for aoe 4