3 things that you wish...

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

3 things that you wish...

Post by JKProwler »

I've seen so many complaints here about the state of the game and it's hard to specify what they are cause of the over generalisation and how different they are from what I see on reddit and official forums.

So I thought I create a thread where people can specify there top 3 things they wish was fixed or added (be reasonable) to aoe3 DE that would make the experience better.

My top 3 are:
> ranked team games are done in the lobby where maps are set to competitive maps automatically if ranked and allow to set minimum elo to avoid kicking players. Also allow to sort on lobby by minimum elo.

> friends list to show status of ur friends and the list is always visible on the right hand side instead of hidden. I feel very isolated in DE compared to legacy.

> have an actual working observer mode (that you can find live games 100% of the time and doesn't abruptly stop) with more functionality...like being able to see games in the past 2 hours, better sort functionality (I.e. elo) etc..
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Re: 3 things that you wish...

Post by Squamiger »

1. live games
2. remove japan sweden inca india spain otto and usa
3. give skull knights an even bigger area of effect damage, so they can swing around in a circle and just spin every unit in the fight into a giant tornado of death and xp donation
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Squamiger wrote: 2. remove japan sweden inca india spain otto and usa
Lets be reasonable, add japan and dutch to that list
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

Squamiger wrote:1. live games
2. remove japan sweden inca india spain otto and usa
3. give skull knights an even bigger area of effect damage, so they can swing around in a circle and just spin every unit in the fight into a giant tornado of death and xp donation
Yeah that’s pretty much everything I wish for too
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

1. Optimize the game so no frames dropped and try to incorporate a settings preset to make the game look on the level of the original game.
2. Friends list that show online status.
3. Casting UI that shows upgrades, villager comparison, etc. Basically at least the functionalities the casting UI had that was used in EP/RE tournaments.

If I could add the fourth it would be to allow torps to gather from other torps. This way the torps would generate torp wagons.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Riches
Power
Glory

Yeah, I just want to find the One Piece honestly
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

I wish people would stop complaining so much, like everyone is always putting on rose tinted glasses looking at the past. But honestly in my opnion DE right now is so much better than RE was. The map pool is way better, civ balance is better (there, I said it), strats are more diverse, no more lag (this is sooooo important to me), graphics are way better etc. Like yea there are problems and there is always something to complain about, but I personally think if you were to have a honest look at re compared to de you should conclude that de is just better. Kinda dislike the amount of negativity i'm reading all the time, if you truly dislike it that much just move on and go do something else with your time imo. Also the other 2 wishes i'll use on girls and money I suppose, kinda boring but fuck it
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

I agree @don_artie, I just wrote something similar in the Kaiser thread. Still my wishes are something I believe could be improved upon, not hating on the game.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

its true, i think half the time people complain about DE, it's more that they are just bored or tired of aoe3 in general. It's a lot to expect a game designed in 2005 to entertain you all the time, forever. even emergent gameplay RTS multiplayer can eventually just get kinda stale and thats ok, it doesnt mean the game is bad. when I see people proposing really dramatic changes i feel like what is actually going on is that that person just wants to play a different game

and hey, thats not so bad either, some people who just got tired of aoe3 and wanted to play a different game put their money where their mouth is and made Wars of Liberty, and that people's name is @Daedralus
Great Britain CR_Joops
Skirmisher
ESO: CR_Joops

Post by CR_Joops »

Yeah the game is bad but it's not that bad. If it was *that* bad there wouldn't be a conversation about it, just nobody would play it.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

I logged in to legacy the other day. I didn't realise how laggy it was. And everything was too zoomed in. Also the pathing wasn't that much better and there were also shift click bugs in some situations.

But I do agree the release has left such a bitter taste after some hype prior to release.

Also I do miss the chat and banter the legacy team lobbies and seeing friends online.

Have a few friends who tried DE and went back to legacy (or barely play anmore) mainly because of the 2 reasons above. They really need to add back these QoL that was there already. Used to play so much team games but now I just do 1v1 qs because team games don't give me the same feeling in DE especially cause I'm not on discord and don't use steam friend features
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

1) For Kaiserklein to return.
2) For diarouga to return.
3) For the game to run correctly in general and in particular with the (trash) specs of my computer.

4) I want urumi-sepoy-ceasefire to come back too.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

1. Delete Japan (surprise)
2. Less content redundancy (surprise...)
3. Make the AI better/more varied in its tactics.

Why are there cicadas chirping?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Id like to have a machine learning AI that you can set to any reasonable level. I think ultimately this will be a thing in video games. You will get to play AIs with distinct personalities with an adjustable difficulty from total noob to better than humans. You can actually pick whatever challenge you want and have fun games at that level. Thats my dream. I dont want to look for 10 minutes for a game against some generally angry guy thats either way better or way worse. Just give me some garantueed casual fun against AI.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Agree with Don. The game is better than Legacy just casting wise it's bad. So -

1. An actual OBS Ui. Aiz's one atm is 100 percent better than without, but compared to his excellent EP one it's bad and it shouldn't be expected that community members make one in a world where tournaments make or break your game. This is truly the worst thing about DE's launch, they've kind of gone down the route of expecting the community to fix/host stuff, which is also the case in AOE2.

2. Live games and a replay system that doesn't slow down.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

1.) Lecastete stoping to lose to Jerimuno
2.) Lecastete stoping to lose to Jerimuno
3.) Lecastete stoping to lose to Jerimuno

@Guigs
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

Riotcoke wrote:Agree with Don. The game is better than Legacy just casting wise it's bad. So -

1. An actual OBS Ui. Aiz's one atm is 100 percent better than without, but compared to his excellent EP one it's bad and it shouldn't be expected that community members make one in a world where tournaments make or break your game. This is truly the worst thing about DE's launch, they've kind of gone down the route of expecting the community to fix/host stuff, which is also the case in AOE2.

2. Live games and a replay system that doesn't slow down.
are they even tracking it? TBH i was kinda shocked, that when i reported at fast replay speed particles didnt move away (7 months after release) that they werent even tracking it. I realised that bug at the second day, but didnt bother to write a report (https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/parti ... ast/129780).
A shame they just didnt use aizams spectator UI. That would ve been dope.

3 things:
1) No restarts after every game
2) No fucking fuck fuck censoring in this shitty piece of crap game (it s a joke, relax) - This wont ever change though
3) Decent mod support, no deleting of Homecities when trying to play scenarios. Also a functioning and 2021 style scenario editor would ve been something i expected from a definitive edition.
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

1) ObsUI. Similar in form and function and extensive like aoe2 ObsUI. Should work for live games.
2) Revamped ingame UI (main menu, global chat window/ friends list/ queue window, replace minimalist UI design with 19th century graphic elements)
3) MS sponsored event with trailers, casters, live games, player cams, player interviews etc.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

1) Kingu numba wan elo
2) Kingu wer dominiert die Leiter seit 100 Jahren
@KINGofOsmane
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

don_artie wrote:I wish people would stop complaining so much, like everyone is always putting on rose tinted glasses looking at the past. But honestly in my opnion DE right now is so much better than RE was. The map pool is way better, civ balance is better (there, I said it), strats are more diverse, no more lag (this is sooooo important to me), graphics are way better etc. Like yea there are problems and there is always something to complain about, but I personally think if you were to have a honest look at re compared to de you should conclude that de is just better. Kinda dislike the amount of negativity i'm reading all the time, if you truly dislike it that much just move on and go do something else with your time imo. Also the other 2 wishes i'll use on girls and money I suppose, kinda boring but fuck it
Why are you comparing DE to RE? Of course RE was trash, when we're calling the game bad we're comparing it to EP. Where the map pool was probably as good if not better, civ balance was better (and less broken mechanics overall), strats were more diverse (yes, inca bow pike every game, sweden carolean spam every game, port water every game, iro water start every game... that's not variety). True there was lag, but there wasn't a billion bugs. Graphics okay, but that doesn't matter for competitive play.
Better matchmaking system, better players, an actual obs UI (and ability to talk to players during their tourney game, which is so important for tournies), an actual ladder with match history. Gonna have to mention less bugs (and better pathing / unit control) a second time, just because it's the worst thing about DE. Ah and you wouldn't get tuck tuck tuck'd there.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Kaiserklein wrote:
don_artie wrote:I wish people would stop complaining so much, like everyone is always putting on rose tinted glasses looking at the past. But honestly in my opnion DE right now is so much better than RE was. The map pool is way better, civ balance is better (there, I said it), strats are more diverse, no more lag (this is sooooo important to me), graphics are way better etc. Like yea there are problems and there is always something to complain about, but I personally think if you were to have a honest look at re compared to de you should conclude that de is just better. Kinda dislike the amount of negativity i'm reading all the time, if you truly dislike it that much just move on and go do something else with your time imo. Also the other 2 wishes i'll use on girls and money I suppose, kinda boring but fuck it
Why are you comparing DE to RE? Of course RE was trash, when we're calling the game bad we're comparing it to EP. Where the map pool was probably as good if not better, civ balance was better (and less broken mechanics overall), strats were more diverse (yes, inca bow pike every game, sweden carolean spam every game, port water every game, iro water start every game... that's not variety). True there was lag, but there wasn't a billion bugs. Graphics okay, but that doesn't matter for competitive play.
Better matchmaking system, better players, an actual obs UI (and ability to talk to players during their tourney game, which is so important for tournies), an actual ladder with match history. Gonna have to mention less bugs (and better pathing / unit control) a second time, just because it's the worst thing about DE. Ah and you wouldn't get tuck tuck tuck'd there.
Almost all of this is objectively wrong.
mad cuz bad
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

For a lower level player, DE is *way* better than pre-DE. I was never good enough to play regularly on EP unless I wanted to lose every game, so I was basically stuck with playing RE. Finding matches sucked (new matchmaking is fantastic), and get to play with players at my level on good maps. Graphics are significantly improved, and now that they've fixed the "units-stuck-in-things" bug, there aren't really any bugs that I'm noticing. I have never had the game crash during a game (only once when I was aggressively tabbing in and out and sitting in the lobby). I get good framerates and stability because I'm not trying to play a 2020 game on a 2005 PC, like it seems many people around here are.

My wishes would be:

1) fix recorded games and spectator UI - add backward compatibility, full speed playback, aizUI style spectator stuff
2) give us API so we can make a ladder please
3) remove the broken friends, clan, chatroom features, etc. from the game... I've got steam and discord. Please make a game, don't make shitty versions of software that already exists.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

^^ I agree with pretty much everything u are saying except for your last point.

Friends and clan function should NOT be removed but improved upon.

Adding people on steam unless u know there profile ID is too cumbersome. And having to tab out or shift tab every time u need see if friend is chatting is bad experience compared to legacy. Also steam u can have so many friends that dont even play aoe3 on there.

Don't need to have the greatest friends or clan functionality, but at least get it to the level of legacy which should not be hard to do.

With friend feature they are halfway there...now just give us online status of friends and always keep it visible.

The chat room feature should be removed tho. Most useless thing on the game atm.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

JKProwler wrote:^^ I agree with pretty much everything u are saying except for your last point.

Friends and clan function should NOT be removed but improved upon.

Adding people on steam unless u know there profile ID is too cumbersome. And having to tab out or shift tab every time u need see if friend is chatting is bad experience compared to legacy. Also steam u can have so many friends that dont even play aoe3 on there.

Don't need to have the greatest friends or clan functionality, but at least get it to the level of legacy which should not be hard to do.

With friend feature they are halfway there...now just give us online status of friends and always keep it visible.

The chat room feature should be removed tho. Most useless thing on the game atm.
This plus a match history (through the API or them adding it themselves) and online profiles on the official website. Same as SC2, but even better with more stats.

Legacy had agecomm stats which weren't great but better than nothing. Right now we only have the leaderboards with the stats like winrate, wins/losses + elo.

Let us also disable the stupid profanity filter. Completely fine names or messages getting censored is ridiculous.

My last wish is for aoe4 rather than aoe3, I wish for it to come out later. Around christmas or even shortly after new year! Let aoe2 and aoe3 live a bit longer until their child spawns, stealing the spotlight :pop:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

n0el wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:
Almost all of this is objectively wrong.
Enlighten me then
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..