Is Dhaka a competitive map?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

Is Dhaka a competitive map?

Yes, it's same as New England
18%
No, just no.
29%
I'll wait Garja's opinion
53%

Total votes: 73

Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Re: Is Dhaka a competitive map?

Post by sebnan12 »

Who made the map?
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

n0el wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:@Mitoe and whats wrong in that? out of 50 maps if one map is somewhat unique its completely fair. Sounds like you are just pissed cuz none of your strong civ is playable on it.
China is strong on Dhaka and that is one of Mitoe's strongest civs.
I am aware but in first post he didnt mention china as viable and in EPL post he said only bit of china so I am assuming he doesn't consider it viable enough or not that great compared to other civs.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

if you move the flag to the middle of the pond you wont have ships despawning. Treasures are random as per any other map with the best treasure maybe 80w by 2 tigers? there are lots of 50coin tiger treasures, its rare to see treasures have as big an affect on dhaka as compared to other maps like florida where there are some monster treasures with the extra flexibility given by the market. and the ship firing speed, well thats an issue with the game itself which affected every map with water
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I used to think japan was quite good on dhaka with good ships, port cons and flaming arrow having an obscene multi vs ships, plus all the berries for the midgame. what changed?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

dansil92 wrote:I used to think japan was quite good on dhaka with good ships, port cons and flaming arrow having an obscene multi vs ships, plus all the berries for the midgame. what changed?
flaming arrows are OP vs ships but japan is not really a civ that contests ATP, doesn't do too great vs rushes on small maps and doesn't have a frigate shipment. that being said i'm not sure where it stands on dhaka, but definitely not weak
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:if you move the flag to the middle of the pond you wont have ships despawning.
if the opponent has ships there already, then you can still get despOWNED
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Kaiserklein wrote:Well it is not competitive though. Games being decided by how many of your warships will spawn in the pond, how fast they'll decide to shoot, or how many great treasures spawn on your side, isn't what I'd call competitive
To be fair, ROF with warships isn't random on DE anymore
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well then it's just gonna be your ships not shooting because the opponent's vel is dancing around, or some stupid bug due to these warships formations. The whole water fighting is buggy af anyway
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Kaiserklein wrote:Well it is not competitive though. Games being decided by how many of your warships will spawn in the pond, how fast they'll decide to shoot, or how many great treasures spawn on your side, isn't what I'd call competitive
That’s a question I wouldn’t mind asking players in general. What does a map in your (and others) opinion need or cannot have in general to be competitive?

I’d honestly like to see how many maps remain after some lists and for once no, this isn’t me complaining about content redundancy. I kinda dislike quite a few maps because of how badly they limit options and nonsense like ships in a pond. I don’t consider New England competitive to be honest and neither is this.

Do agree also that I’d love a significant water rework, like hard core even adding new ships and an actual counter system and boats that yknow fire when something can be fired at even while moving rather then needing to turn stay perfectly still then shoot, but hey game barely works and I still experience numerous bugs with things.
Retired Contributor

kevinitalien wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:@Mitoe and whats wrong in that? out of 50 maps if one map is somewhat unique its completely fair. Sounds like you are just pissed cuz none of your strong civ is playable on it.
5712 bullshit post, congrats
Thanks
Retired Contributor

Kaiserklein wrote:
callentournies wrote:stfu
Do you lack any originality that you need to copy someone else?
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:
callentournies wrote:stfu
stfu dumb cunt
Retired Contributor

Hazza54321 wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
stfu dumb cunt
@Kaiserklein should learn from hazza tbh
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Kaiserklein wrote:Well then it's just gonna be your ships not shooting because the opponent's vel is dancing around, or some stupid bug due to these warships formations. The whole water fighting is buggy af anyway
don't forget the classic not being able to select your own ships by clicking or not being able to click on the opponents ships. but yeah as long as the first shot time depends on ships turning speed it's still a bit random.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I just spawned it 8 or 10 times and at least half the time there was a big treasure imbalance with 1 side having at least +2 "good" treasures
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

RNG is good
mad cuz bad
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

Treasures aren't even the biggest issue. the right spawn always gets an extra TP pass compared to the left side. The elephants/in base berries don't spawn for one player every 3rd game, tree lines are super weird, with 6 whales the whale spawns are too important to be this inconsistent (can have 2 whales right by docks for 1 player and then 4 in the middle of the sea)
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

It's a really cool map, have enjoyed watching games on it, very unique.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

stating the obvious here, if a player spawns on dhaka (and for any other map) and does not get all their starting resources, for example 1 of their starting items like the berries, elephant, trees didnt spawn then the players can call for a re without needing permission from other player. The variety of whale spawn locations on all water maps is frustrating
Retired Contributor

n0el wrote:RNG is good
Without RNG game would be boring honestly
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:if you move the flag to the middle of the pond you wont have ships despawning.
Not true, your opponent's ships can prevent yours from spawning, if they just randomly get close to your flag when your shipment comes in. In a small pond where you have warships and possibly even docks, it's pretty likely that some of your ships don't spawn at all, and that's just bad luck.
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Treasures are random as per any other map with the best treasure maybe 80w by 2 tigers? there are lots of 50coin tiger treasures, its rare to see treasures have as big an affect on dhaka as compared to other maps like florida where there are some monster treasures with the extra flexibility given by the market.
No, on many maps the treasures spawn in a position where both players can somewhat contest them. On dhaka you get only tier 1 treasures on middle / top, while tier 2 treasures spawn only on each side. So one player might get 100f 80w on his side (or even 5 pop which is pretty good early on) while the other might get only trash on his side.
Florida has so many good treasures that ironically it ends up being sort of fair most of the time. You're almost always gonna find something good.
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:and the ship firing speed, well thats an issue with the game itself which affected every map with water
It's a much bigger problem here, because pond control is a huge part of winning on dhaka. If your opponent's frigate randomly beats yours and he builds a dock to repair it, he's just so far ahead. On a regular water map, you'll probably be able to pull back your frigate before it dies, or even if it does die, you won't lose all your mapcontrol and half the TP line to that frigate. But yes of course water is fucked overall.
Seeing the state of the game, at the very least we could avoid having maps that emphasize bugs and imbalances in tourneys. It's not like we can rely on the devs to fix the game
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Switzerland ChewSick
Dragoon
ESO: chusik

Post by ChewSick »

Kaiserklein wrote: If your opponent's frigate randomly beats yours and he builds a dock to repair it, he's just so far ahead.
I know this might be off topic, but i think 2 falc vs 2 falc is sometimes also extremely random (when falcs just dont shoot even if in range, etc.). And that might also just immediately lead to a lost game.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Not true, your opponent's ships can prevent yours from spawning, if they just randomly get close to your flag when your shipment comes in. In a small pond where you have warships and possibly even docks, it's pretty likely that some of your ships don't spawn at all, and that's just bad luck.
i recently did this on a ladder game - saw disciple going to NE pond and back, sent my own frig and put it on the middle of pond. His Fuchuan didn't spawn. (afaik if it's a 1 unit shipment like fuchuan, then you get your spent shipment reimbursed, but if it's a multiple unit shipment then that doesn't work even if all units don't spawn)
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

ChewSick wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote: If your opponent's frigate randomly beats yours and he builds a dock to repair it, he's just so far ahead.
I know this might be off topic, but i think 2 falc vs 2 falc is sometimes also extremely random (when falcs just dont shoot even if in range, etc.). And that might also just immediately lead to a lost game.
Completely agree with this. To the point where I would like to see falcs have 201 HP or 99 instead of 100 damage or a 0.9 multiplier vs artillery just so this stops ruining otherwise even games.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well in like 95% of cases on legacy, when falcs "bugged" it was because the player mismicroed them. I know the way they pack is very awkward and looks buggy, but it's actually predictable. They'll pack even if the target is barely out of range, if you also have your own units in front (because the game calculates the distance the falc has to walk, and that distance is long because of your units blocking). So usually you could just not have your units right on top of your falcs and/or move your falcs very slightly forward before actually trying to shoot.
So that's not really "random" behaviour, just very awkward. Unlike warships which bring randomness for a variety of reasons mentioned above. Also you can't really prevent falc wars anyway, while you can just not have pond maps in the pool, easy fix.

Now on DE I must say that artillery got much buggier so yeah sometimes your falcs just miss their target even though it was barely moving, shoot blanks, or start packing for no reason. So yeah that's a problem, among many others on this game.
Anyway the whole cannon behaviour should be revamped. It's fine for them to unpack and shoot if you right click a target obviously, but not fine to randomly go 360 when you don't want them to. Just make that toggle manual and be done with it
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

I’ve wanted the ability to manually toggle Falcs since vanilla. Like trebs in aoe2 are manual, though granted they can’t move at all in fire mode.

Still I find funny that the same company who didn’t want aoe2 samurai to have a bow mode because they were concerned people in a panic would attack a ram and look back to see him uselessly shooting is the same one who made artillery the silly way it is in aoe3.