update sucks

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: update sucks

Post by princeofcarthage »

spadel wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Unfortunately game development is a lot more complex process than what it was back in 2000. Secondly being able to push patches via internet has given devs some flexibility as they don't need to push finished product or gold product as was the case with disks. Today's games have millions of lines of code and works differently on every pc. Its possible that game ran bug free on dev pcs. Instead of devoting a month worth of time on testing every line of code and every feature its easier to assume it works and if people face bug well then you know whats exactly broken and you fix it. Much easier and time saving.
what the heck is that attitude, I hope you are not a developer. Proper testing before releasing is number one priority if you want to have high customer satisfaction. And you don't have to test every line of code when releasing an update. To detect these kind of flaws it would be enough to just play the game for an hour.
I think you should read thrar's post after mine. It does a better job at explaining things.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

princeofcarthage wrote:
spadel wrote:
Show hidden quotes
what the heck is that attitude, I hope you are not a developer. Proper testing before releasing is number one priority if you want to have high customer satisfaction. And you don't have to test every line of code when releasing an update. To detect these kind of flaws it would be enough to just play the game for an hour.
I think you should read thrar's post after mine. It does a better job at explaining things.
The update sucks @princeofcarthage .
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

I Cant play anymore cause i have a shit lag or fps low..
these fu cking dev are literally shit..

seems to joke what they or "he" does.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

look wrote:I Cant play anymore cause i have a shit lag or fps low..
these fu cking dev are literally shit..

seems to joke what they or "he" does.
you need a better setup its fucking 2k21
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
France Skwizz_Jehuty
Crossbow
ESO: Skwizz_Jehuty

Post by Skwizz_Jehuty »

the shortcut of group always bug when I begin age 2 lol
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

spadel wrote:
A modern attitude and what many developers do now. Customer satisfaction is extremely low on the priority list because almost everybody cuts corners on this now, so there’s no reason to ‘risk’ investing money into quality control, when the returns simply aren’t worth it. As a community players should make them accountable sure but people on forums make up the minority and there are always whalers and suckers who haven’t got anything better to spend their money on.

It’s true this problem started when patches became a thing but I think the level of corner cutting possible has only been ‘optimised’ recently. It’s got so bad that almost every game I want to buy I wait six months and check how many people are still complaining about game breaking bugs.

It’s not right and yeah they should probably play their own product a bit without a specific focus rather than assume it works and nothing broke but this is what almost everyone does these days.

I can only think of one major developer that doesn’t do this. There may be others, but it’s getting exceedingly rare.

I should add though that the understaffed, underpaid people who DO fix the bugs are usually extremely aware of the problems, they are just powerless to do anything about it.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Peachrocks wrote:
spadel wrote:
A modern attitude and what many developers do now. Customer satisfaction is extremely low on the priority list because almost everybody cuts corners on this now, so there’s no reason to ‘risk’ investing money into quality control, when the returns simply aren’t worth it. As a community players should make them accountable sure but people on forums make up the minority and there are always whalers and suckers who haven’t got anything better to spend their money on.

It’s true this problem started when patches became a thing but I think the level of corner cutting possible has only been ‘optimised’ recently. It’s got so bad that almost every game I want to buy I wait six months and check how many people are still complaining about game breaking bugs.

It’s not right and yeah they should probably play their own product a bit without a specific focus rather than assume it works and nothing broke but this is what almost everyone does these days.

I can only think of one major developer that doesn’t do this. There may be others, but it’s getting exceedingly rare.

I should add though that the understaffed, underpaid people who DO fix the bugs are usually extremely aware of the problems, they are just powerless to do anything about it.
I think the other model is doing the early access stuff. Subnautica and its sequel are really great games but they were basically available prior to release and you could play the buggy, shitty versions of the game and play test it for the devs. For a price too. I did pay for the Below Zero game early access just because I enjoyed the first version so much and trusted the devs to do a repeat of that; the sequel is actually good too so that's nice. However, I am not sure about this model with companies that aren't to be trusted, which I guess is most of them.

It's a sad time for game design it seems.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

@iNcog BZ released a month or two ago, by the way. I stumbled upon it and finished the game within a weekend. They did apparently change some things from beta so if you haven't played the full game you should check it out.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

Post by draztik »

I was expecting bigger bugs

very good patch
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:@iNcog BZ released a month or two ago, by the way. I stumbled upon it and finished the game within a weekend. They did apparently change some things from beta so if you haven't played the full game you should check it out.
I've been playing it. Highly enjoyable, the whole game is quality and I like the changes.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Germany animusvox
Crossbow
ESO: SirThore

Post by animusvox »

it didnt delete my c drive. 10/10 patch
Nicaragua Kingotter88
Crossbow
ESO: Kingotter

Post by Kingotter88 »

Hello!! I just threw up on my Keyboard
United States of America Seamonk
Musketeer

Post by Seamonk »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Seamonk wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Wait, are you being serious or is the joke going over my head?

If you paid for internet service and your download speed was 1/3 of what was advertised, you would call and complain right?
I would, but not if my internet speed defaulted to a 1/3 every two weeks. Unfortunately it’s not possible to switch provider in this case, and I already sold my MSFT stocks before DE was released.
Maybe it's just me but this situation seems weird. This is a forum that was created for a fan patch of a game. People spent tons of time making content and fixing the base game. Now that we have access to a dev team that can change the underlying code, an admin of said forum thinks that it's a bad idea to try to fix the game.

Is it only appropriate to try to fix things long after the possibility to fix certain things has passed? Is it really better to be stuck with shitty animations and fixed number of cards? If I remember correctly, banner armies were hard coded too.

For the record, I'm not trying to simp Microsoft. This update sucks. Trying to collect crates on the back side of the TC shouldn't be micro intensive. It's just another MS product that needed more time in the oven.

Also, if you have actual choices in internet providers, I'm insanely jealous.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Bram's point is that its ridiculous that MS doesnt do proper quality assesment for these patches. And he's right. Im happy I never bought DE, it seems like a waste of money.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Bram's point is that its ridiculous that MS doesnt do proper quality assesment for these patches. And he's right. Im happy I never bought DE, it seems like a waste of money.
For $20 (cheaper when it's on sale), it's not breaking your bank account and I felt like I got my money's worth with the hours I've spent.

Although I wish they actually set the price more closer to $40 and actually applied more budget prior to the release of the game.

The volume of sales would have been the same (due to the nostalgia and hype prior to release), people would have still brought it and would have had a much better product.

But instead microsoft went for the low risk approach
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Kingotter88 wrote:Hello!! I just threw up on my Keyboard
You should report this new bug ;)
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

The counter argument was that most of the hard work of creating a new game had been done, they had a template to work on or draw from and an experienced community who could add insight to gameplay and balanced. It is fair to say that the game as it is right now is far below expectations of what it should be.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

They also had the ability to spend dev resources on the USA civ. Didnt many people complain that those resources shouldve been invested in proper quality control?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Bram's point is that its ridiculous that MS doesnt do proper quality assesment for these patches. And he's right. Im happy I never bought DE, it seems like a waste of money.
I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but I wish aoe3:DE was the only product M$ doesn't do proper QA with.
Windows 10 is the biggest scam of them all!!! Almost every patch wave, things break and they basically let your average joe play the role of a beta tester...
M$ has skimped on QA across the board, across all products and releases. It's a company-wide desease...

I once read an interview with a M$ employee who said that back in the day, QA was taken much more seriously and proper scrutiny was applied. Nowadays it is all about releasing stuff ASAP and saving the most amount of money.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I have to admit that I quite enjoy windows 10. It's been a huge step up in terms of performance and reliability.
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Can someone tell me why they made the HP bars HUGE? it is the only thing I dislike with this update.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

Looks like they were trying to go for an aoe2 look, the only thin I don't like about it is that there is a white in between HP and depleted HP which actually seems to be more distracting than useful
Rainbow Land Afroholic
Crossbow
ESO: Afroholic

Post by Afroholic »

I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:Looks like they were trying to go for an aoe2 look, the only thin I don't like about it is that there is a white in between HP and depleted HP which actually seems to be more distracting than useful
If we want to see aoe2 look, we can play aoe2. So there is no point to launch aoe4 with aoe2 looks or update a new patch with aoe2 look to aoe3DE.I hope one day the aoe team will get it,
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

LazarosVas wrote:Can someone tell me why they made the HP bars HUGE? it is the only thing I dislike with this update.

If we take a look at how other devs do in other franchises, we can assume it's gonna be the HP bar in AOE4, so they're and testing it and making us be used to it.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Cause people complained about HP bars being too small. ez answer
Image Image Image