update sucks

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Re: update sucks

Post by princeofcarthage »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Seamonk wrote:
callentournies wrote:cannot levy mm as USA. The icon is not in the TC and pressing the icon on the left side of the screen UI does nothing. It reads, "select a building to call minutemen from." Also did not work when I reached age 2 or ensured it would not overpop.
Screenshot (181).png
edit: you can "trigger" the levy by pressing the default call mm hotkey at a TC (q) but no units arrive, despite the cooldown being activated
You should report this on the official forum.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/c/age-o ... e3de-bugs/

Just click "New Topic"
This is the wrong attitude. Why do you think QA needs to be outsourced to the customer?
Saves costs tbh
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This is the wrong attitude. Why do you think QA needs to be outsourced to the customer?
Saves costs tbh
And how is this good for the customer and the product itself?
United States of America Seamonk
Musketeer

Post by Seamonk »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Seamonk wrote:
You should report this on the official forum.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/c/age-o ... e3de-bugs/

Just click "New Topic"
Wait, are you being serious or is the joke going over my head?

If you paid for internet service and your download speed was 1/3 of what was advertised, you would call and complain right?
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Seamonk wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Show hidden quotes

If you paid for internet service and your download speed was 1/3 of what was advertised, you would call and complain right?
Every single DE patch we have had so far has either broken something else or made the game dramatically worse until the issue is fixed. Clearly the devs aren't doing the proper tests on the patch before they deliver it, they wait until we realise its a buggy piece of shit and need to make posts to get it fixed.
Retired Contributor

InsectPoison wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Saves costs tbh
Unfortunately game development is a lot more complex process than what it was back in 2000. Secondly being able to push patches via internet has given devs some flexibility as they don't need to push finished product or gold product as was the case with disks. Today's games have millions of lines of code and works differently on every pc. Its possible that game ran bug free on dev pcs. Instead of devoting a month worth of time on testing every line of code and every feature its easier to assume it works and if people face bug well then you know whats exactly broken and you fix it. Much easier and time saving.
United States of America Rednote
Crossbow

Post by Rednote »

Ahhhh! All units are constantly stuck in glitchy animations. Just quit two games and posted on the official forum. This is tragic. I was really looking forward to this patch, and we still have to deal with explorers and carts not building trade posts...
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

princeofcarthage wrote:
InsectPoison wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Unfortunately game development is a lot more complex process than what it was back in 2000. Secondly being able to push patches via internet has given devs some flexibility as they don't need to push finished product or gold product as was the case with disks. Today's games have millions of lines of code and works differently on every pc. Its possible that game ran bug free on dev pcs. Instead of devoting a month worth of time on testing every line of code and every feature its easier to assume it works and if people face bug well then you know whats exactly broken and you fix it. Much easier and time saving.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a good opinion from you
Retired Contributor

I am not here to give good opinions. I am here to tell truth.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Rednote wrote:Ahhhh! All units are constantly stuck in glitchy animations. Just quit two games and posted on the official forum. This is tragic. I was really looking forward to this patch, and we still have to deal with explorers and carts not building trade posts...
Glitchy animations?
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

he is probably talking about death animations lingering
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

Alright, since today’s update every game I’ve played has crashed a few seconds in, ranked and I ranked, 1v1 and team, idk what is going on, anyone else having this issue?
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Abrahamburgerlincon wrote:Alright, since today’s update every game I’ve played has crashed a few seconds in, ranked and I ranked, 1v1 and team, idk what is going on, anyone else having this issue?
Mods deactivated?
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

vividlyplain wrote:
Abrahamburgerlincon wrote:Alright, since today’s update every game I’ve played has crashed a few seconds in, ranked and I ranked, 1v1 and team, idk what is going on, anyone else having this issue?
Mods deactivated?
Wow, I didn’t do that, I still had the drongo UI mod on, alright thx
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Don't shoot the messenger.

Because budget (and therefore headcount) is likely fixed, the tradeoff they can make isn't between better or worse releases. It's between smaller and less frequent releases that are more polished, and the current fairly frequent but unpolished releases.
Modern software development is extremely complex, especially when you're developing software that's running in a highly configurable native environment (i.e. not in a browser or standardized console). Even more so when you need to account for 3rd-party mods.

There is no subscription fee and no other ongoing monetization model, so the development budget is coming purely from sales and whatever money the publisher (Microsoft) is willing to provide as an investment in future benefits (presumably, retaining an audience for AoE4). I don't have any inside information, but I'd be surprised if they had more than a dozen technical staff (development, infrastructure, QA) working on AoE3.
As someone who does software consulting for a living, from the outside, it does look to me like they're having some issues with their QA process, but whether that's due to insufficient budget, pressure from their publisher, misaligned priorities, insufficiently trained staff, issues in product management, or some other factor is impossible to say without an inside look.
InsectPoison wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote: Unfortunately game development is a lot more complex process than what it was back in 2000. Secondly being able to push patches via internet has given devs some flexibility as they don't need to push finished product or gold product as was the case with disks. Today's games have millions of lines of code and works differently on every pc. Its possible that game ran bug free on dev pcs. Instead of devoting a month worth of time on testing every line of code and every feature its easier to assume it works and if people face bug well then you know whats exactly broken and you fix it. Much easier and time saving.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen a good opinion from you
Colombia hellhammer99
Crossbow
ESO: hellhammer99

Post by hellhammer99 »

Nothing suprising as we in AOE 2 DE are suffering the same things with some buggy patches (Like the Lithuanian relic bonus bug that was just extreme long time ago).
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Rather than say something out of anger that might hurt some people I care about, I'll reflect and realize that the people that really care about the game must be extremely frustrated that they clearly are not being given sufficient support by their company. Sucks.
Australia ChoppeR
Crossbow
ESO: ChoppeR

Post by ChoppeR »

This update is damdogshit.

- Games wont search...kicks you back to the select game type menu...
- Unplayable bouts of lag (way worse than previously experienced)
- Icons disappearing, or being incorrect such as chopping wood icon for herding etc...

Probably a multitude of other shit

I have no mods installed
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

We need a hotfix. Shame to see the first experiment with a public beta branch to test the changes beforehand didn't result in a higher quality patch.

Did enough people give feedback?
Just checked and WOW... they actually did listen to the players submitting certain bugs. Many of them got a fix and made it into the patch notes.There aren't many topics though so I believe that not enough players gave feedback. Shucks.
China ziper
Musketeer
ESO: 井井井井井井井井井井

Post by ziper »

The truth is, the developers never test their update before release. That's why their bugs are always unbelievably silly.
I have posted many many bugs on official forum, until my critics are censored and deleted. Now i expect nothing from them.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I played a few games, not seeing anything too strange, there is a bit of lag but nothing that I havent been seeing tbh
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Can we list the actual serious issues that people are upset about?

Apparently the game crashed when using certain mods, that's annoying and shouldn't happen but there's a relatively easy workaround - uninstall the mods until they're updated.
Aside from that, is there anything else that's critical?

Myself, like @helln00 , I've played a few games and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the menus or during gameplay.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Not really laggy but feels like a consistently lower frame rate
Mouse icons don't display correctly e.g. if you're tasking a vill to a hunt behind a tree the axe icon will be the only one that ever shows (even though you successfully task the vill to the hunt). Same for any res behind buildings (just shows the normal mouse pointer).
haven't noticed anything else so far
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Seamonk wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I would, but not if my internet speed defaulted to a 1/3 every two weeks. Unfortunately it’s not possible to switch provider in this case, and I already sold my MSFT stocks before DE was released.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Not feeling a lot of the lag but the mouse pointer icon when herding bug is annoying.

The lag must be happening to only some