Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by Garja »

Any civilized country use that logic.
Image Image Image
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by blasdg »

Can confirm for Germany - much civilized so culture very classy
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

And you all find this acceptable, considering "next" literally means "upcoming"? (I assume that's the case in your languages as well)
How do you sleep at night?
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Honestly this is why i personally always just write out the date.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

@Goodspeed

I can only explain it for me (german):

The week that we are currently in is considered to be THIS week. Every day of THIS week is THIS day (e.g. this saturday which means the saturday of the week that we are currently in). "Wir treffen uns DIESEN Samstag - we meet each other THIS saturday".

The week that follows THIS week is NEXT week. By the same logic as above, saturday next week is the NEXT saturday. "Wir treffen uns NÄCHSTEN Samstag - we meet each other the NEXT saturday".

I just asked my wife and she did not have the same feeling as I had about this - she is ukrainian tho, might be completely different there :D
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Does "nächsten" normally mean "upcoming", like "next" in English?
Because then you'd surely have to agree it's counter intuitive, dare I say straight up illogical, that in this case it doesn't mean that?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Really what you're saying is "Friday this week" versus "Friday next week". So the "next" isn't about the "Friday" but about the week. And where it went wrong I think is people started cutting "week" to save time. The "next" in "next Friday" is not about the Friday but about a word that's not even in the sentence, but is implied, and inferred by native speakers.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Tbh from my experience in southern germany people understand this completely differently. Some would refer to tomorrow as "this friday", while others would say "next friday".

"Nächster" is literally the same as next. Probably share etymological roots as well. As in the adjectiv nächsters/nächstes/nächstes signifies the instance of sth that is immediately following the current instance of that thing.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:Does "nächsten" normally mean "upcoming", like "next" in English?
Yes.
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

I always just assumed that because u specificlty used next before sunday. You didnt mean The first sunday to show up. In that case you would just say sunday.
So that The next is used more as next after The one u otherwise would have ment.

Im not sure if thats how it works in swedish or if ive just ben completely retarded and never thought about what next means and just got Lucky here.

@zoom what u think?
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

scarm wrote:Tbh from my experience in southern germany people understand this completely differently. Some would refer to tomorrow as "this friday", while others would say "next friday".
Yeah I guess that's what happens when phrases mean something other than you would intuitively infer.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Goodspeed wrote:Really what you're saying is "Friday this week" versus "Friday next week". So the "next" isn't about the "Friday" but about the week. And where it went wrong I think is people started cutting "week" to save time. The "next" in "next Friday" is not about the Friday but about a word that's not even in the sentence, but is implied, and inferred by native speakers.
Testing this theory:

What about if it's currently Saturday, and I say "next Friday". Does it then mean the upcoming Friday, or the one after?
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

For me it would mean the upcoming Friday - which is the Friday next week because THIS Friday already happened. The one after would be in two weeks, there is no shortcut for saying this in german afaik, it would be the "Friday in 2 weeks".

I never really thought about it but I agree, its pretty weird and leads to great confusion sometimes :D
Thats why I ALWAYS write the date when communicating at work, "Wir treffen uns zu einer Nachbesprechung am nächsten Freitag, das ist der xx.yy.zzzz" (we meet for a debriefing the next Friday, that is the xx.yy.zzzz) rather than just saying next Friday.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Imo, don't take things too literally. When people refer to "this Friday" as the upcoming one it's because "this" refers to something close. And if it's this week, then it's "this Friday". If it's next week, then it's the next Friday.
In that sense, "the next Friday", which is not "this upcoming Friday", means "the Friday from the next week".
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

blasdg wrote:For me it would mean the upcoming Friday - which is the Friday next week because THIS Friday already happened. The one after would be in two weeks, there is no shortcut for saying this in german afaik, it would be the "Friday in 2 weeks".
Yeah that fits. It means that when you say "next Friday", the "next" is talking about the week, not the Friday.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

This sums it up pretty well!
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

FBtouchdown ports forever FBtouchdown
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Goodspeed wrote:
blasdg wrote:For me it would mean the upcoming Friday - which is the Friday next week because THIS Friday already happened. The one after would be in two weeks, there is no shortcut for saying this in german afaik, it would be the "Friday in 2 weeks".
Yeah that fits. It means that when you say "next Friday", the "next" is talking about the week, not the Friday.
A better way to say it would be "kommenden Freitag", meaning the next day which happens to be a Friday, no matter if it is this or next week.
If you wanna be even clearer, just say "nächste Woche Freitag". You made it clear then that you are referring to the Friday in the next week.

Anyway, does the ATP bug only affect Spain or other civs like Ports too?
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

This initially exciting thread took the most boring possible turn and has now ended up with one of the most pointless discussions on ESOC tbh ngl.
Sweden Aussie_Drongo
Skirmisher
ESO: Darkalbino_

Post by Aussie_Drongo »

Personally, I'm expecting Ports to lose every single game. Not because of the player who will be playing it, but because undoubtedly every match up will just be dreadfully unwinnable, especially on this map.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

This "tbh ngl" shit has to stop. Its not cool and everyone who uses it should feel bad.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

blasdg wrote:This "tbh ngl" shit has to stop. Its not cool and everyone who uses it should feel bad.
I do feel bad. I hate it myself.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Goodspeed wrote:What about if it's currently Saturday, and I say "next Friday". Does it then mean the upcoming Friday, or the one after?
Upcoming Friday because it's in next week
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i like the direction this thread is going
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:What about if it's currently Saturday, and I say "next Friday". Does it then mean the upcoming Friday, or the one after?
Upcoming Friday because it's in next week
Yeah "next" is talking about the week, not the day. Of course, that's counter intuitive considering "next" is right before "Friday" and the word "week" is not even in the sentence.