Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by Goodspeed »

aaryngend wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
blasdg wrote:For me it would mean the upcoming Friday - which is the Friday next week because THIS Friday already happened. The one after would be in two weeks, there is no shortcut for saying this in german afaik, it would be the "Friday in 2 weeks".
Yeah that fits. It means that when you say "next Friday", the "next" is talking about the week, not the Friday.
A better way to say it would be "kommenden Freitag", meaning the next day which happens to be a Friday, no matter if it is this or next week.
If you wanna be even clearer, just say "nächste Woche Freitag". You made it clear then that you are referring to the Friday in the next week.
This is how it is in Dutch, which explains why this seems to trigger me way more than anyone else :P
@RefluxSemantic @Mr_Bramboy your takes?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: Are Ports OP? Find out this Monday 6pm GMT - Kaister vs AgeOfKiller Grudge Match

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Wait, next friday doesn't mean the closest friday, but the friday after that?
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

@Goodspeed I think the issue is arising from using different baselines. So let's divert a bit. I give you number 34 and ask you what is next and previous number. You would answer 35 and 33. So our numerical line -inf.....,0,1,2,....+inf is the baseline here. Now if I change that to multiples of 2. 2, 4 , 6 , 8.... inf what would be your answer? 36 and 32.

Similarly the baseline here is friday and not the days of the week. You are speaking in terms of friday, this friday, next friday, previous friday, and so on. So it's irrelevant where you are in week, friday of that week will be referred to as "this friday". Next week friday will be next friday and previous week friday will be previous week.

This is similar in our native languages and I believe in most languages. This confusion has its roots I believe in dumb American English actually. Next and upcoming/coming aren't exactly used or mean samething. There is a fundamental difference as to when you use them.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Retired Contributor

A better example to give is say if you are playing monopoly and you are the first person in a turn. You are about to play when someone shouts let's take a break next turn. What do you do? By your logic next turn means the turn you are about to start but more often than not the person means after completing it.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

EGCTV wrote: Note: So uninterested in this being a thread for anything other than good natured banter. If it's personal and about anything other than Portugal, Summer Saguenay and the game, then there are so many other threads to go do your thing.
next time please specify no language discussion as well
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Wait, next friday doesn't mean the closest friday, but the friday after that?
Yes, otherwise you would use aanstaande. However in my conversations the word aanstaande is hardly used, we just use volgende which would technically be wrong.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It would be "volgende week vrijdag" right? Not "volgende vrijdag"? People don't really cut "week" from that phrase here. Or maybe they do and I just haven't met them. Also, interestingly, "upcoming" (aanstaande, aankomende) is a frequently used word in this context in my xp, contrary to yours.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

EGCTV wrote: Note: So uninterested in this being a thread for anything other than good natured banter. If it's personal and about anything other than Portugal, Summer Saguenay and the game, then there are so many other threads to go do your thing.
Well, that is why I asked about the ATP stuff some posts ago.
A good way to bring the discussion back to its roots:
aaryngend wrote:Anyway, does the ATP bug only affect Spain or other civs like Ports too?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Aanstaande vrijdag or volgende week vrijdag. That's what I use.

No surprise that the younger Dutch kids on this forums don't master our language. People like Bram are the reason it's now 'correct' Dutch to say that I speak better Dutch as Bram. Or why overnieuw is an accepted words. Give it a few years and 'hun hebben' is considered correct Dutch.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Vuile zoldercommunist
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

twitch.tv/stangoesdeep will also do a cast of this if allowed :smile:

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

It always used to confuse me when sam said half eight, meaning 20.30. :hmm:
Whats ur take on this @Goodspeed?
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Victor_swe wrote:It always used to confuse me when sam said half eight, meaning 20.30. :hmm:
Whats ur take on this @Goodspeed?
Both ways are passable I'd say. Brits just seem to have a common understanding that half 8 means half an hour past 8 while in Dutch we have a common understanding that half 8 means half an hour before 8 (same in Swe I assume?). Neither is particularly counter intuitive imo. If anything, both are, because the intuitive interpretation would probably be "half of 8" which would be 4. You could make the argument that it's counter intuitive based on that, but I don't think anyone reasonable would actually think the time half 8 means 4.

Anyway it's very different from "next Sunday" not always having the meaning that you would intuitively infer (upcoming Sunday).
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

In Bavaria the time thing is hilariously confusing because some parts of germany and bavaria understand it one way while the others understand it differently.

On another note, maybe all of this jazz should be its own thread/be merged with another one?
Retired Contributor

@Goodspeed did you read
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Not "volgende vrijdag"? People don't really cut "week" from that phrase here. Or maybe they do and I just haven't met them.
I do. I just say "volgende vrijdag" because every sane person understands what that means. It doesn't matter whether it's friday, saturday or thursday the day before, "volgende vrijdag" means the same. If I have to refer to another friday, I just tell them the date and I send a calendar invitation.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

edeholland wrote:
Not "volgende vrijdag"? People don't really cut "week" from that phrase here. Or maybe they do and I just haven't met them.
I do. I just say "volgende vrijdag" because every sane person understands what that means. It doesn't matter whether it's friday, saturday or thursday the day before, "volgende vrijdag" means the same. If I have to refer to another friday, I just tell them the date and I send a calendar invitation.
But that wouldn't mean the same as "volgende week vrijdag" though right? As in, if it's wednesday and you say "volgende vrijdag" you mean the day after tomorrow, not 9 days from then? Because apparently, in other languages, it means "friday next week".
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

next+day -> this week (if not already passed ofc)
next+week+day -> next week

"next" refers to promixity, both when it comes to space or time. So something next is the first thing located in space or time after the starting point.
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I think 'volgende vrijdag' is just unclear use of the Dutch language.

In English I don't really care. If that's how they do it, it's how they do it - I feel like I shouldn't be judging a language that isn't my native language.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

next, following, subsequent. It's the same meaning. It just means the one after this one, in a given order.
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Garja wrote:next, following, subsequent. It's the same meaning. It just means the one after this one, in a given order.
that's not quite how language works though. Some combinations of words can have unique meanings in a language, even if they mean something different when interpreted literally.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

RefluxSemantic wrote:that's not quite how language works though. Some combinations of words can have unique meanings in a language, even if they mean something different when interpreted literally.
Yes, that's why you refer to a day of the next week you say "not this, but the next one", expliciting that the one from this week has to be skipped. If not specified, "next" is the first to come.
Yes, it's the same in Italian and I would bet on pretty much every language in Europe.
Image Image Image
Retired Contributor

Garja wrote:next+day -> this week (if not already passed ofc)
next+week+day -> next week

"next" refers to promixity, both when it comes to space or time. So something next is the first thing located in space or time after the starting point.
You are not wrong in your definition, however wrong in which friday it means.

Explain what would you do in this scenario?
A better example to give is say if you are playing monopoly and you are the first person in a turn. You are about to play when someone shouts let's take a break next turn. What do you do? By your logic next turn means the turn you are about to start but more often than not the person means after completing it.
Next indicates one step ahead. So when you are talking explicitly about fridays, friday is your week and at what point you are in week in irrelevant. If its thursday "this friday" is tomorrow, if its saturday "this friday" was yesterday. *It depends on the tense of the sentence. Next Friday will be the one in next week.

Friday on its own is useless. It is part of a larger set called week which gives it relevance.