I am tired

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: I am tired

Post by callentournies »

Point is you're missing a meta which was in part defined by shitty maps. Lamenting qs as the combination both of these things is bad for that reason. And there are already a ton of threads throughout every iteration of EP and DE which say "I miss the old meta." I sympathize but at the same time it's feeling very old at this point.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Turkey abusjan
Crossbow

Post by abusjan »

It sucks that when I double click it selects all workers or soldiers. He should choose those in a certain field. Also, the game is not fair. While they make the eco garbage country even weaker by weakening its soldiers like Otto, they strengthen one of the 3 strongest civs like Spain with the logit patch. Why not balance?
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

abusjan wrote:It sucks that when I double click it selects all workers or soldiers. He should choose those in a certain field.
It would suck more if I double click and it didn't select all the same units or objects
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i miss the old meta where you could just stick your vills on berries, ship 9 xbow as the first card, and win the game in 6 minutes with l337 xbow micro
Mongolia badger_prince
Musketeer
ESO: badger_prince

Post by badger_prince »

abusjan wrote:It sucks that when I double click it selects all workers or soldiers. He should choose those in a certain field. Also, the game is not fair. While they make the eco garbage country even weaker by weakening its soldiers like Otto, they strengthen one of the 3 strongest civs like Spain with the logit patch. Why not balance?
If you hold ctrl while you doubleclick it only selects all of a certain group - like all vills on wood, or all vills on the community plaza, all pikes etc.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

abusjan wrote:It sucks that when I double click it selects all workers or soldiers. He should choose those in a certain field. Also, the game is not fair. While they make the eco garbage country even weaker by weakening its soldiers like Otto, they strengthen one of the 3 strongest civs like Spain with the logit patch. Why not balance?
This seems like an unbiased person.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

callentournies wrote:Point is you're missing a meta which was in part defined by shitty maps. Lamenting qs as the combination both of these things is bad for that reason. And there are already a ton of threads throughout every iteration of EP and DE which say "I miss the old meta." I sympathize but at the same time it's feeling very old at this point.
It makes me wonder if those 'shitty maps' were actually fun maps? Apart from the blatantly unfair spawns where one player got a straight up advantage from the spawn, I always thought the maps were pretty nice. If you picked the right ones you'd rarely get bs spawns.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

No, there were no maps where you would consistently avoid getting "bs spawns" not to mention that many were simply "bs maps". Like hispaniola, no matter the spawn you still don't have any hunt and many civs are forced to deal with berries while others can wall up and go water.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Hispaniola is pretty much the worst map in the history of the game, I think a lot of people will agree.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I like hispaniola. It's not a good semi-ff map, but it's a great water map that puts emphasis on the control of the whales.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
callentournies wrote:Point is you're missing a meta which was in part defined by shitty maps. Lamenting qs as the combination both of these things is bad for that reason. And there are already a ton of threads throughout every iteration of EP and DE which say "I miss the old meta." I sympathize but at the same time it's feeling very old at this point.
It makes me wonder if those 'shitty maps' were actually fun maps? Apart from the blatantly unfair spawns where one player got a straight up advantage from the spawn
idk, that seems pretty shitty to me.

There are several RE qs maps in the DE pool btw. They have more res which affects the meta, the point is I think people are just missing a scrappier meta which is a totally fair point to make, but I want to separate that from RE qs nostalgia which had a lot of bad stuff (shitty maps).

Unfortunately you can't seem to balance towards a scrappier meta outside of maps, because then you just make civs/game less fun to play especially for majority of player base that doesn't want mechanically intense scrap fights. The natural EP philosophy to buff weak nerf strong but keep fun, making minimal changes to each but necessary comprises, worked well imo. DE's philosophy to buff all max "fun" is, idk, the new aoe3. And I do have fun playing it ngl, but not all the time.

Unfortunately (round 2) when I read the OP I don't read this nuance, I read "I can only win games by playing aggro, I want to be able to win games again."
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

harcha wrote:No, there were no maps where you would consistently avoid getting "bs spawns" not to mention that many were simply "bs maps". Like hispaniola, no matter the spawn you still don't have any hunt and many civs are forced to deal with berries while others can wall up and go water.
Many TAD maps had pretty consistent spawns. I used to play on siberia a lot because the 2nd hunt was always at least in range of the tower. Still not super consistent.

I personally think fertile crescent is the perfect 'RE style' map that actually works. It allows for the scrappier gameplay.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

No TAD map had a consistent spawn lol, except arguably siberia
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I am all on favor of scrappy games and maps like cadcade range and fertile crescent where you have to fight for your 3rd hunt and 2nd/3rd mine but RE maps were mostly just utter garbage
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

2nd and 3rd hunt still has large variance on Siberia.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

blasdg wrote:Hispaniola is pretty much the worst map in the history of the game, I think a lot of people will agree.
Rockies is worse. Especially it’s silly older versions.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

actually I miss a more competitive game, EP is way ahead of DE in fun and competitiveness games. im not talking about RE qs
another problem is where the meta is going, a boring and no fun game
where the game is all about lammer with something (swe, port, spain logistic, TCs + CMs)

the big difference in competitive games at high lvl is micro and macro, thats the best way for competitive games
and at the moment we are like in 2008 where the majority abused something strong to create advantages
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Something similar happened to me with AOE2, I still prefer to play the original AOE2 Gold edition with Forgotten empires mod and userpatch 1.5 instead of the HD and DE versions which frankly are only full of eye candy. That does not justify in any way their balance/performance issues. I had the HD version for a while but it was just too buggy, had FPS issues and desync problems during games. AOE3 DE reminds me of just that.
No Flag hidden_blaze
Musketeer

Post by hidden_blaze »

Jotunir wrote:Something similar happened to me with AOE2, I still prefer to play the original AOE2 Gold edition with Forgotten empires mod and userpatch 1.5 instead of the HD and DE versions which frankly are only full of eye candy. That does not justify in any way their balance/performance issues. I had the HD version for a while but it was just too buggy, had FPS issues and desync problems during games. AOE3 DE reminds me of just that.
You're not seriously commending the original aoe2 balance, where 1v1 hun mirror on Arabia/1v1 viking mirror on islands was the meta for 10 years straight are you?
The newer versions of aoe2 are as far as balance is concerned miles ahead of the original game.
Also if there's so much disdain about aoe3 DE and everyone's like "we should go back to EP", why don't you just go back then?
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

hidden_blaze wrote:
Jotunir wrote:Something similar happened to me with AOE2, I still prefer to play the original AOE2 Gold edition with Forgotten empires mod and userpatch 1.5 instead of the HD and DE versions which frankly are only full of eye candy. That does not justify in any way their balance/performance issues. I had the HD version for a while but it was just too buggy, had FPS issues and desync problems during games. AOE3 DE reminds me of just that.
You're not seriously commending the original aoe2 balance, where 1v1 hun mirror on Arabia/1v1 viking mirror on islands was the meta for 10 years straight are you?
The newer versions of aoe2 are as far as balance is concerned miles ahead of the original game.
Also if there's so much disdain about aoe3 DE and everyone's like "we should go back to EP", why don't you just go back then?
Because most are playing RE.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

hidden_blaze wrote:
I am talking about AOE 2 Forgotten Empires Mod balance. As for "EP" I never abandoned it.