Sweden has just completely ruined current casual games

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Sweden has just completely ruined current casual games

Post by somp »

This civ is ridiculous. I very rarely follow scores because by intuition I know usually exactly how the situtation is like. But even if you completely rush them, take good trades, burn their torps, you are going to end up by tons of score behind. It does not make any sense. Unlike Japan, Sweden seems to be able to pop 15 caroleon+2 cannon defence at the same time as they eco like crazy.

I have probably like 7000 aoe3 games and I have never seen anything as ridiculous as this. I get that very early people were not able to perform optimal BOs, but now as they have learnt them this civ is way worse than RE iro or otto.

I cant play before they patch this. It just does not make any sense.

The worst is that you cant do normal rated games with pre-selected civs, like in EP, to not play vs Sweden. But on DE you are forced to. And its so many sweden only players. I think we should really be more noisy about this to get a patch ASAP.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: Sweden has just completely ruined current casual games

Post by Lukas_L99 »

I think pretty much everyone knows that Sweden is still broken as fuck, it just takes ages before a balance patch comes in.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah qs only is terrible on a game with poor balance. Basically forces you to lame the worst shit or to just accept you'll lose, and also makes for boring games against the same civs over and over again. Should probably just play unrated vs decent people so you get to play cool games.

Thankfully everyone is aware the civ is ridiculous, so it'll probaby be patched soon
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah qs only is terrible on a game with poor balance. Basically forces you to lame the worst shit or to just accept you'll lose, and also makes for boring games against the same civs over and over again. Should probably just play unrated vs decent people so you get to play cool games.

Thankfully everyone is aware the civ is ridiculous, so it'll probaby be patched soon
everyone is aware, everyone is complaining and everyone is playing it, classic
Image Image
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Lukas_L99 wrote:I think pretty much everyone knows that Sweden is still broken as fuck, it just takes ages before a balance patch comes in.
I just dont get it. This game has been out what...9 months? How can the balance still be so fucked up. I would not mind a slightly imba civ but this is out of this game.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

it's all a ploy to get you to purchase the USA DLC to counterciv
oranges.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

somp wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:I think pretty much everyone knows that Sweden is still broken as fuck, it just takes ages before a balance patch comes in.
I just dont get it. This game has been out what...9 months? How can the balance still be so fucked up. I would not mind a slightly imba civ but this is out of this game.
Could be for multiple reasons, too few people working on it, incompetence,...
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Yeah Sweden is completely ridiculous. There's a reason it's picked first in every single draft thus far. No worries, as soon as AoE4 is released, DE support will be discontinued and we can work on a fan patch again.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

somp wrote:
The people actively working on the game are creating new DLCs because that's what brings in the revenue and appeases the shareholders. The shareholders do not care about a functioning observer UI or about rec compatibility. I can imagine the developers would love to work on the game itself but their hands are tied.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
somp wrote:
The people actively working on the game are creating new DLCs because that's what brings in the revenue and appeases the shareholders. The shareholders do not care about a functioning observer UI or about rec compatibility. I can imagine the developers would love to work on the game itself but their hands are tied.
Of course. But if they are becoming EA v2, atleast they are going be missing my 60 bucks for aoe4...
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah qs only is terrible on a game with poor balance. Basically forces you to lame the worst shit or to just accept you'll lose, and also makes for boring games against the same civs over and over again. Should probably just play unrated vs decent people so you get to play cool games.

Please make a comeback when a new patch is out!
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

But nerfing Sweden takes like 5 lines of code
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I'm pretty sure Sweden will be nerfed soon-ish, at least when the new DLC comes.

It's not impossible it will be nerfed into oblivion.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It's obvious there is some degree of interest in keeping things unbalanced.
Image Image Image
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

I'm sure the next patch is coming in next 2 weeks, probably with tourney going on atm. They nerfed Sweden 2 times but it's still op. Just imagine how broken Sweden was on release
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

JKProwler wrote:I'm sure the next patch is coming in next 2 weeks, probably with tourney going on atm. They nerfed Sweden 2 times but it's still op. Just imagine how broken Sweden was on release
They didn't just straight up nerf them twice, they got compensation buffs too.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Garja wrote:It's obvious there is some degree of interest in keeping things unbalance.
What do you mean?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

Well OP civs/strats like this garner attention and hype. Like when R8 revolver came out in CS:GO, everybody was playing and trying to get in on the action until it was nerfed.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If a game is easier, and has a lower skill ceiling, people are more likely to play it.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

At this point u probably lose more old players than gain new ones by having shit balance
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

I think it's likely that the devs do not see aoe3 as a high level, competitive project. they are balancing the game for casual low elo players. they don't really care about high level tournament balance or what a small number of players are able to lame and optimize. I think they just look at the win rates for the majority of players, and at that level, sweden might not be so ridiculous (but even then id be surprised if its not). thats the unfortunate truth, but thats how RE was too. It's why a fan patch/EP is probably necessary if you want to play aoe3 at a high competitive level
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

The devs will probably balance, but they are sticking to a one patch (and one hotfix xD) a month schedule, so the changes don't come quickly.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I think they have a meaningful nerf in the pipeline but are just waiting for the tournament games to be played out. At least I hope that is the case. A man can dream..
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Squamiger wrote:I think it's likely that the devs do not see aoe3 as a high level, competitive project. they are balancing the game for casual low elo players. they don't really care about high level tournament balance or what a small number of players are able to lame and optimize. I think they just look at the win rates for the majority of players, and at that level, sweden might not be so ridiculous (but even then id be surprised if its not). thats the unfortunate truth, but thats how RE was too. It's why a fan patch/EP is probably necessary if you want to play aoe3 at a high competitive level
Yea this is exactly it, the game is never gonna be an esport game, so while they do give competitive balance a small bit of attention, the majority of attention is directed towards what will attract casual people to the game.
United States of America Kyo_
Crossbow
ESO: KyoKusanagi

Post by Kyo_ »

Javon wrote:Well OP civs/strats like this garner attention and hype. Like when R8 revolver came out in CS:GO, everybody was playing and trying to get in on the action until it was nerfed.
Haha yeah. The $600 pocket awp with crosshair and 1 body-shot kill from any range. Sweden isn't quite as broken, but it still is broken nonetheless