What do you think about France current state?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

What do you think about France current state?

Post by NekoBerk »

So I made this thread in the official forums https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/give- ... ack/135854 because I consider they're not competent in the current metagame and a step to make them in the right way would be bringing the 50f crate back.
The nerf in deleting 50 food from France starting crate was mostly to prevent players doing 12/10. Well, I think it is necessary in the current metagame in order to play more agressive against booming civilizations or in order to make France a little bit stronger because nowadays they feel like really average.

Basically their only favoured MU’s are against even worse civs like Aztecs and Russians.
I have this opinion of France taking in account Hazza's 1v1 Tier List from 2 months ago, Aussie Drongo's MU Graph and current tournament stadistics.

In the end of the day i'm just a 1500 elo scrub so let me read what y'all think, maybe they're a solid civ but i feel you gotta be a try-hard in order to win just like russians.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Re: What do you think about France current state?

Post by dansil92 »

france has had every win condition neutered that they had from tad. the only people who play france on quicksearch appear to be skirm-goon tryharders
Vanuatu DoctorSulla
Musketeer
ESO: DoctorSulla

Post by DoctorSulla »

In the current tourney they are one of the most picked civs but have the worst win rate of any civ so make of that what you will.

Some of this is probably people picking France as a fallback pick when they don't know what else to do but it's pretty clear they matchup poorly vs a lot of other civs at the moment.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

idk, i just always felt hopeless with france even back on EP, despite playing them so much. its one of those civs where if you're better than your opponent you win, and if you're worse you just lose, 100% of the time. who has time for that
China ziper
Musketeer
ESO: 井井井井井井井井井井

Post by ziper »

I don't think france is bad. France seems weak in tourney just because the map set are not in its favor and the tourney rule. Players like to pick france first and then their opponents pick swe/port/spain to counter. In qs france is still good.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

dansil92 wrote:france has had every win condition neutered that they had from tad. the only people who play france on quicksearch appear to be skirm-goon tryharders
skirm-goon tryharders hehe
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

It’s a beautiful country. I really like the wine, food and culture. Sometimes the people can be a little off putting, but once you get around that, it’s not too bad!
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

They should add the 50 food back so that the 12/10 can still be viable.. I mean Spain can 12/10 efficiently Ports can 10/10 efficiently but France's 12/10 is pretty much done for except if you make an amazing age I..
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

French doesn't have their unique advantages, which is needed in DE meta.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

fei123456 wrote:French doesn't have their unique advantages, which is needed in DE meta.
exactly, there's no unique flair, no clear win conditions, you basically just win by not losing
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I think the current state of France is less critical than I thought. Marine Le Pen did not get a lot of votes in the election and, instead, the center-right Républicains seem to have profited. On the other hand, Macron's La République en Marche seems to be dead with <20% of votes. So there might be some trouble ahead when presidential elections are held (next year?).
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I think it's fine, but it's definitely not as strong as it once was. Playing on no TP maps is tough. Some matchups are hard even on TP maps (Dutch, Brit, Iro). Not to mention it is not a water civ, but I think this is fine (port is not balanced, but that doesn't make non-water civs inherently F-tier).

Other than that it's still a super flexible civ with excellent late-game units/eco. I don't think France really deserves any buff.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

France is a great civ, there are just greater civs at the moment.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:France is a great civ, there are just greater civs at the moment.
Gendarmes just stand no chance against Swiss Pikeman even though they are much less expensive. I attached a photo of a Swiss Pikeman in action.
Attachments
luca-loutenbach-euro-2020.jpg
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Swiss pikes when 5 skirmishers show up:
Attachments
unknown[1].png
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Swiss pikes when 5 skirmishers show up:
If you aren't going to engage in a discussion please don't engage at all. Last warning to quit the insults.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Swiss pikes when 5 skirmishers show up:
If you aren't going to engage in a discussion please don't engage at all. Last warning to quit the insults.
A false equivalence is a fallacy. I just wanted to let you know that.
bobabu wrote:Gendarmes just stand no chance against Swiss Pikeman even though they are much less expensive. I attached a photo of a Swiss Pikeman in action.
Well, you shouldn't send cavalry against swiss pikemen in the first place. At one point I had them on my decks but @Mr_Bramboy is right, they get torn to shreds by light infantry and/or artillery.
Don't get me wrong, they can be useful in certain situations, but only when used in a combined arms approach. Swiss pikemen guarding artillery for example, or in combination with cavalry to pin the enemy down. I would rather use Jaegers or Black Riders though...
Great Britain CR_Joops
Skirmisher
ESO: CR_Joops

Post by CR_Joops »

i like france's surgeon he is the best surgeon
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I think their tourny win rate mostly comes down to being a very attractive first pick because they have no counters (in the sense that there is no Matchup where they always lose)
Not sure what top players think about their general power level
Canada klonko
Skirmisher
ESO: klonko

Post by klonko »

dansil92 wrote:
fei123456 wrote:French doesn't have their unique advantages, which is needed in DE meta.
[...] you basically just win by not losing
Really powerful quote :flowers: ! It stands true for all civs too!
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

klonko wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
[...] you basically just win by not losing
i know it sounds sarcastic but what i mean is france doesnt have any particularly bad matchups and doesn't really have clear win conditions, but the longer the game goes on, the better france gets. So like, you just have to not lose to opposing timings or whatever and eventually you'll win by outscaling
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

I like france but Cuirassiers have been overnerfed.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

dansil92 wrote:
klonko wrote:
Show hidden quotes
i know it sounds sarcastic but what i mean is france doesnt have any particularly bad matchups and doesn't really have clear win conditions, but the longer the game goes on, the better france gets. So like, you just have to not lose to opposing timings or whatever and eventually you'll win by outscaling
except when you don't win by outscaling, against civs like ports, sweden, inca, india, USA, russia or japan... and while you might outscale in the super long run vs spain, germany, dutch and brits, good luck lasting that long.

i think that's probably part of why france feels weaker these days, back in vanilla they were one of the top eco civs just because CDBs were good. Now so many other civs have tons of boom and eco options that France is forced into aggression, and France's aggressive options aren't anything super special
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Squamiger wrote:except when you don't win by outscaling, against civs like ports, sweden, inca, india, USA, russia or japan... and while you might outscale in the super long run vs spain, germany, dutch and brits, good luck lasting that long.
Eventually france does outscale india and japan, possibly inca too but not too sure. Of course these civs will shine earlier so you might not reach lategame as france in a position where you're going to outscale. But if you don't fall behind at some point, you probably will be ahead in lategame.
Also vs ger and dutch, france does fine on lots of maps. Brits and spain aren't great MUs yeah.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

@Kaiserklein maybe they do outscale India /Japan / Inca eventually, but doesn't it feel like these civs have better and faster ways of getting to the lategame than France does? Idk why multiple TC booming feels so much slower and worse for France than India, for instance?