Ethiopians

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Ethiopians

Post by EliteRifleman »

A while ago, the developers shared the following image of the next dlc, like the previous one, I deduce that it is the homecity of Ethiopia

On the other hand, according to the comments of the developers, we will receive more news soon, but these are the only 2 civilizations that will come in the next DLC.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Ethiopians

Post by Garja »

The sad part is no matter how good will the new civ design be, the overall meta is meh with a significant number of civs having autogathering resources and promoting passive play.
Image Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Garja wrote:The sad part is no matter how good will the new civ design be, the overall meta is meh with a significant number of civs having autogathering resources and promoting passive play.
i think the devs have probably heard the reaction against passive autogathering houses. i doubt these two new civs will have those things. i was pessimistic about USA when it was announced but overall I think the civ is pretty well done
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Still don't know how ethiopia fits in the AoE time frame. Would rather see italians.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Lukas_L99 wrote:Still don't know how ethiopia fits in the AoE time frame. Would rather see italians.
the big castle in this image is Gondar, which was built in the 17th century, which is smack dab in the aoe3 timeframe. Ethiopians were an important regional power which interacted with the Portuguese in the 16th century, the Ottomans from the 17th-18th centuries, and finally defeated the Italians in the late 19th century. seems fitting to me. Nothing wrong with Italians too though
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Squamiger wrote:
Lukas_L99 wrote:Still don't know how ethiopia fits in the AoE time frame. Would rather see italians.
the big castle in this image is Gondar, which was built in the 17th century, which is smack dab in the aoe3 timeframe. Ethiopians were an important regional power which interacted with the Portuguese in the 16th century, the Ottomans from the 17th-18th centuries, and finally defeated the Italians in the late 19th century. seems fitting to me. Nothing wrong with Italians too though
As far as I know Portugal just sent a few missionaries to eithiopia which was isolated pretty much for many years. Other than that there was not much interaction until the British expedition to abyssinia in 1867, which is like late imperial age in aoe3.

I'd really rather see italians.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

@Lukas_L99 well, Ethiopia is just a very unique case. It was isolated for an extremely long time, and you could make the same argument that it doesnt fit into aoe2 because it didnt interact much with other kingdoms as well. But the fact remains that it is one of the oldest and most stable nations to have ever existed, basically lasting from the early centuries AD into the 20th century. And then, you could make the same argument about Japan-- it was also isolated from the world for several centuries during the aoe3 time period, should it not be in aoe3? And to that, the answer is yes, please remove Japan from this game, dear god
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Squamiger wrote:@Lukas_L99 well, Ethiopia is just a very unique case. It was isolated for an extremely long time, and you could make the same argument that it doesnt fit into aoe2 because it didnt interact much with other kingdoms as well. But the fact remains that it is one of the oldest and most stable nations to have ever existed, basically lasting from the early centuries AD into the 20th century. And then, you could make the same argument about Japan-- it was also isolated from the world for several centuries during the aoe3 time period, should it not be in aoe3? And to that, the answer is yes, please remove Japan from this game, dear god
Japan had many interactions with China and European powers, had a colony (Korea), so it fits much better imo.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

@Lukas_L99 you could say the same about Ethiopia-- interactions with Ottomans, Sudanese, Berbers, Egyptians, and Somalis. Colonized/occupied southern Oromo-speaking parts of modern Ethiopia, and controlled / was controlled by Islamic Somali sultanates. Ethiopians weren't just sitting on their hands for 500 years, I think it's just that the history of this region is much less well known in popular understanding. Which is why it's kinda cool that its getting focused on in aoe3. People might learn something

i mean surely ethiopians had more interactions with the aoe3 time period than aztecs or inca, who basically only encountered the spanish and then were basically subjugated and lost political autonomy
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

1626457134 (1).png
1626457134.png

lame house coming soon~
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

i dont know. in the historical battles it was simply called hut. judt a reskin like the indian house or so.

they had cool units though ;)
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Can you imagine if Garja was a playable character in the Campaign. I'd definite play that!
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

People need to stop bitching about how the "meta" might chance.. we are getting new content guys, 2 new civs however broken they might be are just very exciting.

Especially if they have a surprise in store and they put up a new campaign with this expansion as they did with previous ones.. singleplayer in AOE 3 is AMAZING.
China ziper
Musketeer
ESO: 井井井井井井井井井井

Post by ziper »

I like the choice of new civs. Hausa (or other west africa ethnic groups) and ethiopia fit in the aoe3 time frame. They had equipped firearms before 17 century, traded with arab and europe, and had great cavalry. Other famous african civs like congo and zulu are less suitable imo.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01

Post by Lukas_L99 »

LazarosVas wrote:People need to stop bitching about how the "meta" might chance.. we are getting new content guys, 2 new civs however broken they might be are just very exciting.
Yes it's exciting, but it's not exciting when you're looking how the 3 new civs all favour super passive and greedy play.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Zutazuta wrote:
Can you imagine if Garja was a playable character in the Campaign. I'd definite play that!
Someone could make a scenario about Garja.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

well it didn't help that essentially every viable rush was nerfed prior to these new civs. if swedes or inca was on default tad they would get rofl stomped by those old rushes... but thats another discussion. i for one am optimistic about the African civs
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

LazarosVas wrote:People need to stop bitching about how the "meta" might chance.. we are getting new content guys, 2 new civs however broken they might be are just very exciting.

Especially if they have a surprise in store and they put up a new campaign with this expansion as they did with previous ones.. singleplayer in AOE 3 is AMAZING.
New maps or new game modes could be better. Or even improvements like a diplomatic system on FFA which EP used to have (I don't really know if it is on DE tho')
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
United States of America Abrahamburgerlincon
Crossbow

Post by Abrahamburgerlincon »

Miyawaki Sakura wrote:
1626457134 (1).png
1626457134.png

lame house coming soon~
Oh dear god NO
not a Rick roll, promise :hehe:
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

dansil92 wrote:well it didn't help that essentially every viable rush was nerfed prior to these new civs. if swedes or inca was on default tad they would get rofl stomped by those old rushes... but thats another discussion. i for one am optimistic about the African civs
Not sure Swede would have had an issue with leather cannon behind 3k HP walls, but I could be wrong.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

onfiregun17 wrote:
dansil92 wrote:well it didn't help that essentially every viable rush was nerfed prior to these new civs. if swedes or inca was on default tad they would get rofl stomped by those old rushes... but thats another discussion. i for one am optimistic about the African civs
Not sure Swede would have had an issue with leather cannon behind 3k HP walls, but I could be wrong.
its been a while since you've had 16 jans in your base at 4:15 hasn't it?
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

It's funny how sweden was supposed to be a rush civ.

I am hoping all african civs are OP rush civs super-lakota-aztec lame, just for a change. :P
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

iron_turtle wrote:
It's funny how sweden was supposed to be a rush civ.

I am hoping all african civs are OP rush civs super-lakota-aztec lame, just for a change. :P
i was actually thinking this today, that I'm hoping for some very aggressive design in the african civs for early siege pressure, raiding units, etc.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

yurashic wrote:
Zutazuta wrote:
Someone could make a scenario about Garja.
Picture this:

[Cut scene]
You, a suave, beautiful man from the Mediterranean. Every time a female villager spawns the scene shifts to you taking her out for dinner over a bottle of the finest Italian wine; spaghetti? check! pizza? ditto. Night falls and she invites you into her house. 100 wood for these accommodations? Not bad. And let's face it, the house isn't the only thing getting your wood tonight. You sneak out in the middle of the night to start scouting. You run into a feisty bunch of Swedes constructing torps on your gold mine. You challenge them to a micro battle and win with ease. You're Garja after all; don't they know that absent lag you're unbeatable? The scene cuts: mission objective received. Win over the hearts of 100 Italian female villagers. You smirk to yourself as you check the difficulty setting. Extreme difficulty? You laugh. You're the big G. Let's get down to business.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Still a better fit then US which already had a mechanic that worked to have it in the game. Maybe make it less stupid if you want it used beyond asinine nonsense.

The only reason I'm semi against Ethiopia is that they were already in aoe2 and aren't 'major' enough to be justified for two appearances. Give someone else a go yeah? East Africa has quite a few other choices.