Top 10 reasons why DE is absolutely shit game

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Top 10 reasons why DE is absolutely shit game

Post by somp »

1) Terrible balance and AFK in base new civs. Devs are completely clueless.

2) Shit ton of bugs. Listing them all would take all day

3) Matchmaking style: No possibility to fix match ups ranked. Connect this with number 1) and it is just not enjoyable. Sweden and Japs all day long if you want to play ranked.

4) Unable to reconnect even if you lose connection literally for 1 second. This is a nightmare for players who are forced to use WIFI due to living arrangements. I guess the technology is not ready for this.

5) The name system: You have no idea who you are facing and people can keep changing their name all the time. This is not very fun when you have no idea at all what level of opponent you're facing.

6) No ****** say ****** cencor ***** awesome ******

7) Menus are shit. Friend system is bad. You can't even do anything while you que in QS. Not even build decks.

8) OBS possibilities suck. Tournaments have to be casted from records which is not the same. You don't want to watch football either as a replay even if you don't know the results.

9) Destroyed edition also killed the team games which used to be a very popular thing in EP.

10) Badly, in rushed, designed poor money pocketing DLCs. Intentionally done "bore to death" free "objectives".
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: Top 10 reasons why DE is absolutely shit game

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah agree with basically everything. Somehow though lots of people actually think this is better than EP

I'd also add the fact there is no match history whatsoever
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

k m8
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

they could do much more than they did, I still think it's better than the old game, but like in the past the game is still forgotten by whoever controls it.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

I agree with most of the points here listed and I highly doubt it will get better with time. It's a pity, some of us knew this would happen since the same had already occurred with Age of Mythology.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Most of those are non issues, issues with your setup, being a whiny bitch. The real issues are 1) pathing. I think at this point it will never be fixed and this is a huge issue. 2) balance. Balance was not great last patch, and while a lot of issues are addressed in this upcoming patch, the addition of 2 new civs is obviously going to make balance pretty shit, probably for another 3 months at least.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

gibson wrote:Most of those are non issues, issues with your setup, being a whiny bitch. The real issues are 1) pathing. I think at this point it will never be fixed. 2) balance. Balance was not great last patch, and while a lot of issues are addressed in this upcoming patch, the addition of 2 new civs is obviously going to make balance pretty shit, probably for another 3 months at least.
"Badly, in rushed, designed poor money pocketing DLCs"
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

For competitive play, DE is much worse than EP. For the vast majority of the players - and the target audience - DE is miles better than legacy.

It will be the same for AoE4 - there is a reason why there has not been a released gameplay trailer one month before release. You can either be consumed in your disdain or accept the reality and move on.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Jotunir wrote:
gibson wrote:Most of those are non issues, issues with your setup, being a whiny bitch. The real issues are 1) pathing. I think at this point it will never be fixed. 2) balance. Balance was not great last patch, and while a lot of issues are addressed in this upcoming patch, the addition of 2 new civs is obviously going to make balance pretty shit, probably for another 3 months at least.
"Badly, in rushed, designed poor money pocketing DLCs"
Thats just wrong. The dlc civs have been one of the best parts of de. They arenā€™t badly designed or seem rushed. Do they need some tweaking to be properly balanced? Ofc, but that was expected.
France Syphax
Crossbow

Post by Syphax »

Yeah we will see tomorrow, this game will probably be worst.

Sadly DE literally killed AOE3
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Syphax wrote:

We already know, you can literally go play on it now with the pup beta. Balance is a lot better, but as mentioned with the African civs that will likely fuck it all up. Iā€™m not sure how it killed aoe3 when the game averages a lot more players than legacy did.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

gibson wrote:
Syphax wrote:

We already know, you can literally go play on it now with the pup beta. Iā€™m not sure how it killed aoe3 when the game averages a lot more players than legacy did.
Mr_Bramboy wrote:For competitive play, DE is much worse than EP. For the vast majority of the players - and the target audience - DE is miles better than legacy.
I would rather have a quality game than a popular one. @gibson an appeal to the majority is not a good argument.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

tbh I quite agree with all the points quoted from somppu, but it's my competitive player that speaks
If I look at the perspective of a casual rts player or who has been playing aoe3 for a while but has never looked at the competitive side this game is amazing and even more tomorrow
Image Image
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Bombard brawl, funny avatars, and epic new MOBA DLC. If you don't like AoE3: Tower Defense MOBA Edition may I suggest chess?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young childā€™s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

surely you mean go
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Atleast it doesnt delete ur files anymore
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Seriously this game is just a big meme
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

kevinitalien wrote:tbh I quite agree with all the points quoted from somppu, but it's my competitive player that speaks
If I look at the perspective of a casual rts player or who has been playing aoe3 for a while but has never looked at the competitive side this game is amazing and even more tomorrow
Well for myself, i did become a casual Player on DE due to all the problems. I used to tryhard in like 80 percent of legacy games but i dont see the point on DE tbh. Now i just host my 1v1 unrated lobbies all the time.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

Victor_swe wrote:Atleast it doesnt delete ur files anymore
small steps
Great Britain CR_Joops
Skirmisher
ESO: CR_Joops

Post by CR_Joops »

The game is okay. Balance isn't the best but I still find a decent selection of civs on QS.
France Syphax
Crossbow

Post by Syphax »

guys did you tried to contact microsoft staff to tell them how the game is broken?
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

somp wrote:1) Terrible balance and AFK in base new civs. Devs are completely clueless.

2) Shit ton of bugs. Listing them all would take all day

3) Matchmaking style: No possibility to fix match ups ranked. Connect this with number 1) and it is just not enjoyable. Sweden and Japs all day long if you want to play ranked.

4) Unable to reconnect even if you lose connection literally for 1 second. This is a nightmare for players who are forced to use WIFI due to living arrangements. I guess the technology is not ready for this.

5) The name system: You have no idea who you are facing and people can keep changing their name all the time. This is not very fun when you have no idea at all what level of opponent you're facing.

6) No ****** say ****** cencor ***** awesome ******

7) Menus are shit. Friend system is bad. You can't even do anything while you que in QS. Not even build decks.

8) OBS possibilities suck. Tournaments have to be casted from records which is not the same. You don't want to watch football either as a replay even if you don't know the results.

9) Destroyed edition also killed the team games which used to be a very popular thing in EP.

10) Badly, in rushed, designed poor money pocketing DLCs. Intentionally done "bore to death" free "objectives".
1. idk if its terrible balance. it's worse than EP but better than RE, which is to be expected for a game that is balanced around mid-tier and casual players. at my level around 1400 elo, it feels fine basically. also, the patch tomorrow should fix some of the glaring balance issues with swedes.

2. at least there's support and bugs are constantly being fixed, unlike legacy.

3. it's really not swe and japan all the time, at least not when i play

4. i did used to have shitty wifi and that did suck. now my wifi is better and while every so often I get a lag spike, i can usually just reconnect. i don't think i've dropped a game in months. it's definitely worse than EP if you have shitty wifi, but infinitely better if you dont.

5. yes this is dumb

6. also dumb, should be able to turn off filter.

7. true, but thats what discord is for. ingame messaging is never going to be better than discord so why bother expending labor on it. except yes, it would be nice to be able to build decks while queueing.

8. the looktom v. callen match was just casted live. it seemed to work fine. tbh I think the reason why tournies aren't live is mostly because of unwillingness by the players and casters, because scheduling across timezones is hard. idk why that wasn't a problem on EP but it is now.

9. no one is preventing you from playing premade team games in DE, who cares about ELO really

10. better than nothing? USA civ seems like a lot of thought went into it. but yes, the challenges are mind numbing

i think the DE hate probably boils down to people with shitty wifi vs. people with decent wifi. I hated DE when I had shitty wifi. It was unplayable. It felt like AoE3 was robbed from me. Now I have good wifi, and DE feels so much smoother and nicer than legacy and I could never go back. So I feel you, if you have shit wifi. Idk what the solution to that is really. Unfortunate, but it's sort of a "needs of the many" issue. Most people have wifi that can run it, so they optimized the game to be smooth and nice with good wifi. If we went back to peer to peer it would help people with shit wifi a lot, but it would also present no real benefit to most people, and would probably inconvenience more people in general, as a net
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

Half of the complains here are about the qs system and the direct consequences of the end of ranked lobbies.

When DE launched, there was a lot of debates about it and if I remind well, almost everyone here said no for ranked lobbies again.
Problem is, what we gonna do when devs will stop follow the game if cheaters start to play in ranked for exemple.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The issue is ranked lobbys ruins the integrity of the ranking system. The current system is okayish, but the top 5% or so is pretty confused and out of order.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

The current system is not ok at all for teamgames.
Which is not the competitiv part of the game, but used to be the most played...

+ if only once a dude come with a truck cheat everyday when the game will be on itself the system will just broke the game forever.