DE update 38254

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America Seamonk
Musketeer

Re: DE update 38254

Post by Seamonk »

Syphax wrote:There is still this annoying bug, when u add new units to a group.
Units doesn't move to meet the group when u are in battle.
This unfortunately is intended. When you command units to attack a unit and that unit dies, you units will stop rallying to that point.

So what you probably did:
have a batch of units attacking enemy -> spawn a new batch of units -> add new units to the attacking units' control group -> right click the enemy units

Your units that were fighting will kill the right clicked enemy. The new units (that are only moving because of an attack command) will not rally to the unit group. This is because their "attack" command is no longer valid.

I think this was intended to keep ranged units from walking to where enemies died, but what you encountered is a byproduct.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Seamonk wrote:
This unfortunately is intended. When you command units to attack a unit and that unit dies, you units will stop rallying to that point.

have a batch of units attacking enemy -> spawn a new batch of units -> add new units to the attacking units' control group -> right click the enemy units

Your units that were fighting will kill the right clicked enemy. The new units (that are only moving because of an attack command) will not rally to the unit group. This is because their "attack" command is no longer valid.

I think this was intended to keep ranged units from walking to where enemies died, but what you encountered is a byproduct.
They said this was fixed in the last patch though. It was intentional before, yes, but now it should be changed so that it doesn't do that anymore.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Slovenia Javon
Musketeer

Post by Javon »

speedflyer wrote:https://clips.twitch.tv/GoodRespectfulP ... aHb1nIy0gM

Good patch so far , sometimes we are not allowed to go age 2 , i think we gonna win more and more playrs with those insane update ! So far i've played 1 game , and i had a bug , and i watched 1 aizamk game with a bug !!
I think that this happens because transparent UI mod hasn't been updated yet, always disable mods for a while after update and restart game after installing mods.
United States of America Seamonk
Musketeer

Post by Seamonk »

iNcog wrote:
Seamonk wrote:

They said this was fixed in the last patch though. It was intentional before, yes, but now it should be changed so that it doesn't do that anymore.
So this is what the previous patch notes say:
Fixed an issue where units would move to a defeated enemy unit’s location, even if they saw it die before they would be able to attack it.
I could have it backwards, and they fixed it. But this seems to support what I was saying.
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Just when I got a month and a half experience with Haude they get some slight nerfs :(

Good balance changes overall, we will just have to wait and see how these affect the performance of the S tier civs..
United States of America DamagedBananaBread
Crossbow
ESO: KingWillIV

Post by DamagedBananaBread »

Peachrocks wrote:
dansil92 wrote:aztec has 4 anticav units, and 3 rather mediocre scaling units alongside them, some unit needs to be reimagined as a not-anticav unit

in other news, these african farms can be (almost) free amd still generate build xp, this is fine
Yeah, they only get 7 units and 4 of them are anti cav? Like really? Granted Jaguars are technically anti heavy infantry too, but they certainly do not function in the role of countering muskets. Still I've seen a lot of solid ideas here that will never eventuate into anything... at least not until the devs stop pretending to give a damn. Though that maybe a bit harsh, the new civs are a bit better developed then I thought they'd be, but then again, that's the only way they can make money so sceptical mode engage.
Gretchen wrote:My poor poor Sweetheart Japan
Be happy I don't get my way and make your civ radiable outside of boring shrines destruction.
Lol, you must have a really low elo. Japan is just as raidable as any other civ who herds properly. I've played against a few very good (top 100) Japan players who I am stay able to get a few vills off of. You just can't find 20 vills really far away from the TC like you can against your typical low elo competiton.
RefluxSemantic wrote:If your not willing to pay a normal price for a game, are you really a gamer or just someone that likes to complain about things?
you're*
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

LazarosVas wrote:Just when I got a month and a half experience with Haude they get some slight nerfs :(

Good balance changes overall, we will just have to wait and see how these affect the performance of the S tier civs..
i'll have to test it but I'm not sure how much the dock nerf is actually going to impact the dock start. the way things were pre-patch, it felt like I was always slightly idle queuing up my second fishing boat anyways, since you need wood for a house first. I wonder if this change might slow down the first fishing boat, but overall not affect the total number you can make before you can age. we'll see

also, I'm cautiously optimistic about trading rr on musket riders for cheaper and faster training tomahawks. might be a net buff overall.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Squamiger wrote:
LazarosVas wrote:Just when I got a month and a half experience with Haude they get some slight nerfs :(

i'll have to test it but I'm not sure how much the dock nerf is actually going to impact the dock start. the way things were pre-patch, it felt like I was always slightly idle queuing up my second fishing boat anyways, since you need wood for a house first. I wonder if this change might slow down the first fishing boat, but overall not affect the total number you can make before you can age. we'll see

also, I'm cautiously optimistic about trading rr on musket riders for cheaper and faster training tomahawks. might be a net buff overall.
I think the MR nerf is more impactfull than toma buff, toma is still a trash unit to train even with -5w/-2s.

But good change overall, i just feel so sad for aztek, i don't like this civ but they deserve better.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

i actually think aztec are pretty good right now even with 9/8 mace, the coy buff matters more than youd imagine
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

javelin cav are too stronk, especially with ez caracole in age 2. this will be a problem in lots of matchups, guaranteed.

edit: heck these things are powercreeped erks for cheaper, age 2,have an armour card and 4x vs cav, all at the penalty of being slightly less rr, but more hp and less damage from skirms tho. oh boy ethiopia here we go, we got the new caroleans
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

DamagedBananaBread wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:
dansil92 wrote:aztec has 4 anticav units, and 3 rather mediocre scaling units alongside them, some unit needs to be reimagined as a not-anticav unit

in other news, these african farms can be (almost) free amd still generate build xp, this is fine
Yeah, they only get 7 units and 4 of them are anti cav? Like really? Granted Jaguars are technically anti heavy infantry too, but they certainly do not function in the role of countering muskets. Still I've seen a lot of solid ideas here that will never eventuate into anything... at least not until the devs stop pretending to give a damn. Though that maybe a bit harsh, the new civs are a bit better developed then I thought they'd be, but then again, that's the only way they can make money so sceptical mode engage.
Gretchen wrote:My poor poor Sweetheart Japan
Be happy I don't get my way and make your civ radiable outside of boring shrines destruction.
Lol, you must have a really low elo. Japan is just as raidable as any other civ who herds properly. I've played against a few very good (top 100) Japan players who I am stay able to get a few vills off of. You just can't find 20 vills really far away from the TC like you can against your typical low elo competiton.
That's kinda my point. Japan doesn't have to herd properly, it has a much easier time balancing it's economy, it doesn't have to worry about being outscaled late and it has to worry significantly less about things outside the box because its units are so good anyway. Most notably, Ashi muskets have to worry a lot less about being caught by some usually useless melee unit because of 4.5 speed crutch. All these things are massive crutches for weaker players. Is it balanced? Of course. Well outside of team but that's a whole other can of worms and it's not like that functions anyway in dysfunctional edition.

I don't even play ranked because of how much I hate playing vs. Japan and when I was playing around 1/3 of my games were against this fake civ and it just killed it for me. I don't really play to win either, I just try to have fun and Japan prevents that. I don't care if I win or lose but even if I beat Japan I feel nothing but frustration.

Besides ELO is more about mastering the same thing over and over rather then actually mastering the game. It's a bunch of numbers that hold next to no meaning for me. The lack of knowledge certain high ranking players have about certain units and mechanics annoys me to no end simply because the game rewards mastery of a tiny portion whereas I prefer using the whole thing to my detriment and AoE3 is not alone in this 'issue'.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

duckzilla wrote:Just downloaded the update and bought the expansion: crashed to desktop after 3 minutes when building a deck with Hausa. Really?

edit: just happened again. Both times it crashed when I clicked on one specific card.

edit: third crash -> the card is Fulani Archer Combat. Whatever you do, stay away from that one.
Guess I will try to play a game with Russia now.
Just launched the game. Fulani Archer Combat is an age 5 card. It's not visible if you sort shipments by age, only if you sort them by building. That's probably why it crashes the game lol.
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

Squamiger wrote:since i haven't seen a thread on it yet:

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/aoe3de-update-38254/

what do people think about the changes to the current civs? Swedes get nerfed, but also get dominions back in age 2. Japan shrines and yabus nerfed. Ports nerfed, monitor dmg to artillery nerfed, CM nerfed slightly. Haud gets buffed tomahawks but a nerfed dock start and nerfed Musket Riders. Russia buffed, in a way that probably just makes their rush stronger. Spain logistician nerfed. No nerfs to Dutch, which seems like it will be the sneak S tier civ now
I dont think russias rush is stronger now. And I also dont think that Russia has been buffed. With 500f start they will age up late. Maybe going 17 Vill age up is an option now.
United States of America DamagedBananaBread
Crossbow
ESO: KingWillIV

Post by DamagedBananaBread »

Peachrocks wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That's kinda my point. Japan doesn't have to herd properly, it has a much easier time balancing it's economy, it doesn't have to worry about being outscaled late and it has to worry significantly less about things outside the box because its units are so good anyway. Most notably, Ashi muskets have to worry a lot less about being caught by some usually useless melee unit because of 4.5 speed crutch. All these things are massive crutches for weaker players. Is it balanced? Of course. Well outside of team but that's a whole other can of worms and it's not like that functions anyway in dysfunctional edition.

I don't even play ranked because of how much I hate playing vs. Japan and when I was playing around 1/3 of my games were against this fake civ and it just killed it for me. I don't really play to win either, I just try to have fun and Japan prevents that. I don't care if I win or lose but even if I beat Japan I feel nothing but frustration.

Besides ELO is more about mastering the same thing over and over rather then actually mastering the game. It's a bunch of numbers that hold next to no meaning for me. The lack of knowledge certain high ranking players have about certain units and mechanics annoys me to no end simply because the game rewards mastery of a tiny portion whereas I prefer using the whole thing to my detriment and AoE3 is not alone in this 'issue'.
Yeah figured; learning to herd really isn't that difficult, and besides, you gather food way more slowly because you can only gather berries. It's maybe a a lazy thing for weak players, but not really much of a crutch...if you herd they have no advantage over you. Just take the 5 seconds to learn to herd.

But Japan always ruins your fun? That's not Japan, that's just you. Learn to be more positive.
RefluxSemantic wrote:If your not willing to pay a normal price for a game, are you really a gamer or just someone that likes to complain about things?
you're*
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Richard you're such a whiny fucking shill for bot Russia it's insane. They gain 30f back from faster training vills and 30f from cheaper vills in age 1. There are a plenty of maps with food tres and/or livestock.

And the point of the buff specifically isn't to buff their rush, but to address weaknesses incurred in the mid game without killing the rush.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

callentournies wrote:Richard you're such a whiny fucking shill for bot Russia it's insane.
I think it s a good change, but it doesnt buff their rush like squamiger said. I proposed 17 Vill age up. I dont quite understand your post now tbh. It doesnt make any sense what you say because it is not related to what I said. You didnt read my post.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

richard wrote:
callentournies wrote:Richard you're such a whiny fucking shill for bot Russia it's insane.
I think it s a good change, but it doesnt buff their rush like squamiger said. I proposed 17 Vill age up. I dont quite understand your post now tbh. It doesnt make any sense what you say because it is not related to what I said. You didnt read my post.
Well you said that the rush isn’t buffed and Russia isn’t buffed, the second of which is just wrong.
mad cuz bad
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

Peachrocks wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Yeah figured; learning to herd really isn't that difficult, and besides, you gather food way more slowly because you can only gather berries. It's maybe a a lazy thing for weak players, but not really much of a crutch...if you herd they have no advantage over you. Just take the 5 seconds to learn to herd.

But Japan always ruins your fun? That's not Japan, that's just you. Learn to be more positive.
I shouldn’t argue with you because you seem to be completely incapable of understanding my perspective but I’ve come to expect no better from some people.

I’m sorry I don’t find much positive about playing against a civ that warps the games rules to such a degree with its 101 stupid gimmicks and basically forces opponents to dance to its tune in a way no other civ does because of how it scales militarily and economically, fail to win before a certain point and you just lose unless the opponent really screws up.

Even some of the best players loathe the design and consider it annoying. This isn’t just a me problem. Japan easily wins the most annoying civ poll last I checked, though it might not hurt to run it again. Sweden may have overtaken it lately but they were hit hard.

I’ll admit it effects me more then most though. Quite honestly I hate the way I think and I hate the way I get try enjoyment out of this game because it’s so contrary to almost everyone else. Wish I could be a build order drone who doesn’t get bored doing 2 to 4 builds 99% of games.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i feel like this must buff russia's rush because it lets you maintain villager production more easily in early age 2, when you might need to idle the tc to get batches out?

the surefire way to solely buff russia's fortress without buffing age 2 at all, imo, would be to just make strelets or muskets or cossacks shadowtech to veteran
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

The key part of a rush is the timing, I would first calculate this factor before making any changes
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

continuing my ethiopian journey:

for the love of all that is holy, they are so broken on pampas sierras its not even funny. speedy hero and llamas make for a like, obcene amount of resources available to you.

yup, javelin cav is broken and way too pop effective, and neftanya are also stupidly pop effective also, but a bit expensive.

i dont understand this exponsive heavy cav unit, probs just use shotel unless i see a viable reason to use them later on

stevastopol go boom

hand cannoneers go boom

jesuit influence seems really really strong, probably better than the awkward 2v and a fancy hat guy
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I wouldn't say either civ is broken. Only the units seem on the strong side of the spectrum. Both civs don't have a real way of booming. The only economic asset is respectively the mountain monastery and the free cattle with each shipment. Influence is a scarce resource like exports are, so not exactly something on which you can base a whole strat.
They're just very different from everything the game was originally. They're relatively similar to TAD civs. I guess the sole fact of having more options is an advantage in itself. In that sense both African and Asian civs are "broken" compared to the rest.

One thing I specifically don't like in DE is the prospector mine mechanic. It's a big bonus and it's almost overlooked. I'd just remove it.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

idk ethiopia seems pretty good.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

you can train fancy hat guys from the monastary and drop a couple cows at the market with that income you just spew out resources like japan or swede idk man this feels really strong, even if the eco is like, needing to be babysat with lots of clicks and stuff, with the hat guys and church-torps you shouldnt ever touch a tree if you're not massing wood units

i know livestock is usually bad but 200 or 300c being 800w a minute later is insane you literally just macro for a cow every minute or so, and it seems so very strong in terms of return, no vill seconds on gathering it either

edit: yup ok you can spew out resources its just really micro intensive, with goon raids age 2 as well. high apm is extremely rewarding for ethiopia
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Does anyone know what the notes for the refugee cards for china means? before this it will save the unit when you send the cards while over the vil limit and send it when you dip below. what happens now?