Cooperation, is it worth it?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Cooperation, is it worth it?

Post by EliteRifleman »

Cooperation is a big button technology available in the trival market, it costs 600 :food: and 600 :wood: and is available from the age of Commerce.
It passively provides 0.1 exp / s for each villager created, similar to how Asian villagers generate :export: (besides, it reduces the costs of support shipments by 10% and they arrive 33% faster). My question is, is it worth making this improvement as soon as possible?
I did some math, took some data from the AoE wiki, so I don't know how true they are.
Whereas a TP provides 72 exp / min (without any kind of improvement) , a church provides 42 exp / min (0.7 exp / sec) , the mosque provides 48 exp / min (0.8 exp / sec) and villager gives us 6 exp / min (0.1 exp / sec).

If we do the math, to have an equivalent to a TP, we would theoretically need 12 villagers.

To have the equivalent of a church, we need 7 villagers, and for a mosque, we need only 8 villagers.

If we consider that we must invest 600 of wood in this, which, in theory we could use them to build 3 TPs, which are equivalent to 216 exp / min, we need 36 villagers to have benefits.

The last thing I calculate is how much exp we will get with 99 villagers, we will get 594 exp / min (9.9 exp / sec), which is equivalent to having 8.25 TPs.

Do you think this is worth it? Or is it preferable to invest those resources in something else?

Do not take into account that each support shipment we send, we will save 100 :coin: , but that is another matter.

Edit: The technology works for any villager, not just those who are working in the tribal market

PS: If I make a mistake with the maths, please let me know.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: Cooperation, is it worth it?

Post by callentournies »

could b, sometimes
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Indonesia arivus
Musketeer

Post by arivus »

I think this one worth when you already have 40 villager regardless of age. 40 villager means 4xp/s, and if the total cost is 1200, then 1200/4 = 300s or 5 minutes. Only after that time passed will you get paid off. Lower than 40villager just mean longer time for it to pay off.

Edit: wait, didn't realize that the trickle only work when the villager gathering on that building. Not sound much worth it on silver or copper mine map ?
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

never cooperate, always antagonize for maximum attention
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

arivus wrote:I think this one worth when you already have 40 villager regardless of age. 40 villager means 4xp/s, and if the total cost is 1200, then 1200/4 = 300s or 5 minutes. Only after that time passed will you get paid off. Lower than 40villager just mean longer time for it to pay off.

Edit: wait, didn't realize that the trickle only work when the villager gathering on that building. Not sound much worth it on silver or copper mine map ?

No, that is an error of the description, the drip works for any villager regardless of what they are doing.
Indonesia arivus
Musketeer

Post by arivus »

EliteRifleman wrote:No, that is an error of the description, the drip works for any villager regardless of what they are doing.
The description scared me a bit for an expensive tech
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

If you’ve got Akan natives and a Swedish/Finnish or some other ally who can provide more/infinite gold mines maybe. Under realistic circumstances, no.

At that point you might as well use Aztecs with Aztec mining for ridiculous gather rates.

Edit: Oh so it does work for everything? Need to test this more then.
United States of America Sensei
Skirmisher

Post by Sensei »

The reason that that BB tech is so useful is you can build 5 tomas, ship 6 and then use the BB to get 5 more. So you get 16 toma very early on.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Sensei wrote:The reason that that BB tech is so useful is you can build 5 tomas, ship 6 and then use the BB to get 5 more. So you get 16 toma very early on.
there's no way that would be more impactful than just spending 600w 600f worth of villager seconds on tomahawks, or just aging
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Is this unlocked in age 1?
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

callentournies wrote:Is this unlocked in age 1?

From the second age you can make the improvement in the tribal market.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I generally think it’s not worth it. @kaister uses it sometimes, but to me it just seems too expensive for what it gives you most of the time.

That said, it has its niche. It can be ok on non-TP; a bit slow, but often better than nothing with those civs. It’s also more worthwhile if you are going to FF or especially FI, as the higher value of your shipments means your investment will pay off faster. I doubt it’s ever worth it if you stay in Commerce.

If you are going to get it you should get it somewhat early on. Probably in the first 8 minutes usually. Since shipments get more expensive and xp becomes less valuable the longer the game goes, the BB paradoxically takes longer to pay off the longer you wait (unless you are age 4 maybe), despite having a greater number of villagers to trickle.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

What is the formula that gives the cost per shipment, in terms of shipments?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

chris1089 wrote:What is the formula that gives the cost per shipment, in terms of shipments?
E = mc2
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

chris1089 wrote:What is the formula that gives the cost per shipment, in terms of shipments?
I can’t look it up right now, but I believe the rule is that every shipment is ~15% more expensive than the last, with the initial shipment starting at 330 (Spain starts at 300, Germany at 360). The cost maxes at 2500xp per shipment for all civs—which IIRC happens somewhere between 12-16 shipments into the game.

Don’t quote me on the exact numbers, though.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

So xp cost = 330*(1.15^s) where s represents the nth shipment of the shipment for n<= ~14, 2500 for n > ~14.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

How does it compare to the other two xp sources? the market big button and villagers on the plaza?
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

chris1089 wrote:So xp cost = 330*(1.15^s) where s represents the nth shipment of the shipment for n<= ~14, 2500 for n > ~14.
From a rough calculation, I think 15 shipments is the cut-off where xp will always be 2500
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

It’s worth noting that the vill must be working a resource to get the trickle. This means builders, idles and the community plaza do not get anything.

May be worth it for an FI with Lakota if you get old ways which helps a lot of good techs and a few support cards since their time and cost is reduced. Haudenosaunee might be okay as at the very least infinite 1500 res is good but their support cards are mostly awful and no stat boosts.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor

Post by chris1089 »

Based off of Mitoe's data above:

330*(1.15^n) = 2500
n*log(1.15) = log(2500/330)
n = log(2500/330)/log(1.15)
n = 14.5 shipments

So for most civilisations, you max out on your 15th shipment. All shipments after your 14th shipment cost 2500 xp.
Substituting 300 for 330 gives that for Spain it's all shipments after your 15th shipment.
Substituting 360 for 330 gives that for Germany it's all shipments after your 13th shipment.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

chris1089 wrote:Based off of Mitoe's data above:

330*(1.15^n) = 2500
n*log(1.15) = log(2500/330)
n = log(2500/330)/log(1.15)
n = 14.5 shipments

So for most civilisations, you max out on your 15th shipment. All shipments after your 14th shipment cost 2500 xp.
Substituting 300 for 330 gives that for Spain it's all shipments after your 15th shipment.
Substituting 360 for 330 gives that for Germany it's all shipments after your 13th shipment.
Tabla.png
Source: https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Experience
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

EliteRifleman wrote:
Tabla.png
Source: https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Experience
Interestingly, this means that (for generic civ) you can make the linear approximation that the k-th shipment costs k*100 Xp, for k = 5, ..., 9

shimpent no, approx cost:
5, 500
6, 600
7, 700
8, 800
9, 900