Public Update Preview - September Update

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Public Update Preview - September Update

Post by helln00 »

Oh this is interesting, all the British Cav cards have been made to affect all cavs. Thats not OP but if Brit ever roll Mams as Mercs it would make it the most powerful Mam in the game I think.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

aaryngend wrote:Remove the stupid extreme zooming out feature - my guts tell me that it will only lead to abuse and bugs.
iNcog wrote:Those nerfs to Africa are there but rather light.
Rather a nerf like this than gutting the civs completely, no?
Yea people don't seem to understand how nerfing stuff works. You make gradual changes til you get to a median rather than making extreme changes trying to immediately find perfect balance.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

helln00 wrote:Oh this is interesting, all the British Cav cards have been made to affect all cavs. Thats not OP but if Brit ever roll Mams as Mercs it would make it the most powerful Mam in the game I think.
Spanish mams with unction :P
Spain pain train is real
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

Rohbrot wrote:
helln00 wrote:Oh this is interesting, all the British Cav cards have been made to affect all cavs. Thats not OP but if Brit ever roll Mams as Mercs it would make it the most powerful Mam in the game I think.
That is true, though that is only higher attack and not HP right?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

helln00 wrote:
Rohbrot wrote:
That is true, though that is only higher attack and not HP right?
yeah, but cc now effects all cav. :<)
Spain pain train is real
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Done a quick test, artillery indeed seems to behave better.

Here's how far the new zoom goes:
Zoomhack report now!

Btw for all the people that cried about zoom. Just look at the aoe 2 pros none of them zoom out much.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

I don't get the hate. It's a late patch but it's a very good one in my opinion: it hits their superpower strategies hard, but it won't nerf them into being useless.

I still think they'll be great civs ( from S+ tier to A tier) but the amount of nerfs is fair. Also I respect their pov of not tweak everything (other cards and units which are needed) until they see the impact of these changes for the next patch.

This is how game balance should be done.

My only criticism is the lack of balance for other 13 other civs.
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

This is how balance should be done, if done frequently, but we are only getting patches every 6 weeks now. undershooting balance changes results in months of imbalance, and the game might not afford that. Personally, I think Africa being underpowered for a bit might actually be a good thing. As has been the case with the USA, a civ's strengths and weaknesses can be seen best when the civ is underperforming. Balance understanding aside, I think that devs should typically err to weaker balance. If africa is too weak, there are 17 playable civs. If africa remains too strong, there are only 2.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Dolphincup wrote:This is how balance should be done, if done frequently, but we are only getting patches every 6 weeks now. undershooting balance changes results in months of imbalance, and the game might not afford that. Personally, I think Africa being underpowered for a bit might actually be a good thing. As has been the case with the USA, a civ's strengths and weaknesses can be seen best when the civ is underperforming. Balance understanding aside, I think that devs should typically err to weaker balance. If africa is too weak, there are 17 playable civs. If africa remains too strong, there are only 2.
In hindsight, maybe putting new dlc civs only on lobby for the first 2 weeks might be the way to go. Not sure how that will effect sales numbers, but in a rts game that is based on qs matchmaking, priority #1 should be ensuring qs is good and incentivise players to keep clicking on qs.

I also feel that DE missed out on utilising a lot of the data that is available on this game through notification to players to keep them playing qs.

Imagine there was a notification board that keeps scrolling informing you about your stat's on various civs, maps, or players in the ladder that were the biggest movers of the week etc..

So many possibilitied
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
Dolphincup wrote:This is how balance should be done, if done frequently, but we are only getting patches every 6 weeks now. undershooting balance changes results in months of imbalance, and the game might not afford that. Personally, I think Africa being underpowered for a bit might actually be a good thing. As has been the case with the USA, a civ's strengths and weaknesses can be seen best when the civ is underperforming. Balance understanding aside, I think that devs should typically err to weaker balance. If africa is too weak, there are 17 playable civs. If africa remains too strong, there are only 2.
In hindsight, maybe putting new dlc civs only on lobby for the first 2 weeks might be the way to go. Not sure how that will effect sales numbers, but in a rts game that is based on qs matchmaking, priority #1 should be ensuring qs is good and incentivise players to keep clicking on qs.

I also feel that DE missed out on utilising a lot of the data that is available on this game through notification to players to keep them playing qs.

Imagine there was a notification board that keeps scrolling informing you about your stat's on various civs, maps, or players in the ladder that were the biggest movers of the week etc..

So many possibilitied
I think delaying them going on QS would only kinda delay the ladder problem since the experimentation that results in OP builds would just be delayed or lessened until people go to the ladder, and then people will still click on QS less when the new civs get into the ladder, and then there might be even less time to figure out patches to the new civs
France Syphax
Crossbow

Post by Syphax »

You are telling us that balance it's a complicated science.
But they are dumb things that can be easily fixed.

Like this hausa age 2 card, 10 deserts warriors for 500c
Just convert it in 500 influence, the rush will be much less OP.
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

idk about you but neither mine or the above comment was about balance, just how the civs are released on the day
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

bobabu wrote:

Zoomhack report now!

Btw for all the people that cried about zoom. Just look at the aoe 2 pros none of them zoom out much.
Because in aoe2 the zoom level is already optimal. Zooming more provides no advantage as for the most part there aren't even large scale battles like in AOE3.
Image Image Image
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Garja wrote:
bobabu wrote:

Zoomhack report now!

Because in aoe2 the zoom level is already optimal. Zooming more provides no advantage as for the most part there aren't even large scale battles like in AOE3.
Not true there are a lot of large scale battles. As an average aoe 2 game goes into the late game while an average aoe 3 game doesn't. Plus in aoe 2 there are more obstacles you can run into like castles and towers.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

helln00 wrote:
JKProwler wrote:

So many possibilitied
I think delaying them going on QS would only kinda delay the ladder problem since the experimentation that results in OP builds would just be delayed or lessened until people go to the ladder, and then people will still click on QS less when the new civs get into the ladder, and then there might be even less time to figure out patches to the new civs
I'm not saying it's gonna be perfectly balanced by the time it goes into qs. I'm just thinking that there would be a better chance to iron out some of the balances b4 it gets on the ladder qs with more people having a chance to play with the new civs
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Garja wrote:
bobabu wrote:

Zoomhack report now!

What? Have you ever played Age 2? AoE2 goes to late game with max army fighting an order of magnitude more than aoe3 games do.
mad cuz bad
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

JKProwler wrote:
helln00 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm not saying it's gonna be perfectly balanced by the time it goes into qs. I'm just thinking that there would be a better chance to iron out some of the balances b4 it gets on the ladder qs with more people having a chance to play with the new civs
Well to me its more that the ladder is probably the best place to see the balance problem play out. Ideally people should be able to do the testing already in stuff like the public beta but multiplayer games on there are rare. Lobbies are sort of too manageable for it to show balance problems besides the really egregious ones. Heck before the new civs were released I remember testing the outlaws for a bit and I remember them even being more busted then they are now. Even tested the natives as well but never really thought about them.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

I heard the upcoming patch does multi threading? Is this true?

And if anyone played the pup, do you u notice the difference?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

multithreading? on aoe3? forget about it
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

JKProwler wrote:I heard the upcoming patch does multi threading? Is this true?

And if anyone played the pup, do you u notice the difference?
There is some speculation, but the devs have not said anything about it in the notes and personally I haven't been able to identify any difference in CPU core usage on my machine.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player