which DE civ feels the most "aoe3" to you?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.

which civ feels the most "aoe3"

inca
27%
swede
38%
usa
33%
hausa
No votes
ethiopia
2%

Total votes: 88

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

which DE civ feels the most "aoe3" to you?

Post by Squamiger »

Not necessarily the most balanced, but the civ that feels like it fits in best with the classic aoe3 civs, in terms of design?

to me Inca feels most naturally an aoe3 civ. Kancha houses are basically just weaker banks for food, and the units are pretty much aztec units.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Re: which DE civ feels the most "aoe3" to you?

Post by Hazza54321 »

i would say usa if they fixed state militia and instant towers. Inca is trying to be too much like aoe2, sweden is spamming one unit for the most part, hausa and ethiopia feel like mods
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Inca and USA for sure, Usa might be quite unique in temrs of card shipments but their units are pretty much euro civ equivalent.

Inca also fits right in with the other native civs like Lakota and Haude, only thing that is not that much "AOE" is their fort which garissons military.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Hazza54321 wrote:i would say usa if they fixed state militia and instant towers. Inca is trying to be too much like aoe2, sweden is spamming one unit for the most part, hausa and ethiopia feel like mods
i find the african civs to feel much more aoe2 than inca, with their individual farm plots and palaces everywhere
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

Squamiger wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:i would say usa if they fixed state militia and instant towers. Inca is trying to be too much like aoe2, sweden is spamming one unit for the most part, hausa and ethiopia feel like mods
i find the african civs to feel much more aoe2 than inca, with their individual farm plots and palaces everywhere
idk what about a building base civ that has large food gathering houses so they need to venture out of base less and have a house wall. Or cav that dont get snared, or buildable forts that can garrison units.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

oh also africa civs have no starting crates, which feels aoe2. yea i see the aspects of inca that are aoe2 as well, but i feel like they don't actually play out that way in game as much. inca still needs map control and the forts just dont seem super relevant most of the time
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

Personally, I'd order it Sweden -> USA -> Inca -> Africa

Sweden has weird eco-stuff going on, but at least their units are pretty normal (carolean balance aside). They pretty much go musk falc after a greedy semi-ff, and sometimes make some mercs. that's pretty aoe3.
USA has their age-up thing that adds cards to the deck, but that's a manipulation of an aoe3-exclusive mechanic, and it just factors into build-order like normal. and again, nothing terribly strange unit-wise.
Pretty much everything hazza said about Inca. esp. non-snare-able chimus.
Africa units are just all over the place. none of them feel 'aoe3' at all. I don't mind the design of the civs behind the units, and their base-building mechanics are fun, but the units are just all over the place.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

USA has a big emphasis on cards and age ups and plays like nilla civs for the most part
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Sweden tbh. I mean it's just a euro civ with torps. Need a better skirm option tbf. But it could be fixed

Inca has stealth buildings and unsnarable coyotes. Not aoe3
Usa gets different cards depending on age up. Weird
No comment on african civs
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

yeah maybe sweds actually
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Having a unit that can't be snared is just anti-AOE3 and shouldn't be a part of the game. If they removed that and made it so that the Fortress isn't as broken as it is (military units should NOT be able to garrison in this game) then Inca would be in line with other Native civs.

I agree with everything said in this thread regarding Sweden.

USA is interesting in some ways but has broken aspects to it that don't make it fun to play against.

African civs break AOE3 design in a few different ways, the devs went too far. Having all unit types available as soon as you build a barracks is wrong. China does this but Banner armies mean there's a limit to your flexibility. I don't mind the livestock mechanic, think it's good. The units are just whack though. The mortar shouldn't be in the game, straight up. Abuns shouldn't be able to fight healing units. etc. I do think African civs are well designed but there's a few busted things with them.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yea lol garrisoning units is also not aoe3. Sme for converting units. The list is long
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

ye well swede is the obvious option, I was thinking out of the remaining ones
Image Image Image
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I feel like the african civs feel very china like when playing them especially hausa, there is something about using a gigantic mass of army composed of unit mish mass and the extreme tank cav that just feels at home. Raiders are just steppe rider and javs are uber keshiks. tbh I think if you slow down the train time of the african units it would probably be somewhat balanced

Ethiopia feels a bit like japan, your army comp is usually 1-2 units, almost always musk and u push with artillery in the back

edit:maybe another way to say it is that the African civs feel very TAD, US and swede feel release aoe
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

USA is a relative standard AOE3 civ.
Sweden is not imo. It is a boomy civ but it's quite different from Brit/Japan etc, as they don't really have a build that's not based on heavy boom. You can't imagine a civ's first 5 shipments are all eco shipments (3v, 4 torp, 700 wood, mining boost, blueberry).
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

Yeah us is closest. They’ve still got iffy things but they are closest to the base design.

House factory and one/two unit spam is not or at least should not be aoe3. Still annoyed about Inca, normally like being them in other games but they are so wrong to play with and against.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

who's the one guy who voted for ethiopia show yourself
No Flag Narida
Musketeer
ESO: Narida

Post by Narida »

Kaiserklein wrote:Sweden tbh. I mean it's just a euro civ with torps. Need a better skirm option tbf. But it could be fixed

Inca has stealth buildings and unsnarable coyotes. Not aoe3
Usa gets different cards depending on age up. Weird
No comment on african civs
Yeah the whole mercs/jaegers thing just doesnt rly work because you cant rly macro for mercs. The card that makes jaegers cost wood doenst help at all. Maybe Sweden needs something like a better advanced market card that lets them sell their food at more favourable rates.
Or bring back the caros that run in melle and nerf torps further. Would bring them closer to the original idea of an aggressive civ based around caroleans.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

i think, in my convoluted opinion, that inca *wants* to be an aoe3 civ so hard but also was designed in a room of people that couldn't say "no" to any ideas.

Swedes is whatever. just an overtuned japan clone in a European disguise. completely uninteresting, although hakkapelits could have been way more influential if they didnt overtune caroleans so hard.

USA is just a European civ with like, 50 extra gimmicks. nothing particularly against aoe3 design, and plays harder into the design with the special cards, which i think seals it as the most aoe3 civ civ.

Africans. lol. yeah. I love a lot of the design that went into them but HOLY HANNAH the units are so overtuned it's not even funny. a musketeer thats faster, longer ranged, harder hitting, insane melee, and double cardable, and the shorter ranged rof gimmick, for literally just -15 hp is something else man. idk its just a joke. also really sick and tired of 20rr 4.5speed musks. it needs to stop. Ignoring that, the civs are interesting. livestock markets is a neat high apm mechanic you can utilize with good management (albiet too strong on livestock maps), the influence mechanic is fantastic, its hard to specifically obtain in huge quantities but gives good power spikes, its just really well done. Neftenya are great skirms but well priced for their performance, all sorts of great things, but idk, its not exactly the most "base aoe3 civ" design for both of them
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Interesting how the poll is pretty split between inca Swede and usa