Why were Grenadiers so nerfed in DE?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Why were Grenadiers so nerfed in DE?

Post by DNLgibraltar »

I do remember that they used to swipe only when I went Brits with all those stacked cards. Were Grenadiers so powerful or so meta that called for such tweaks? I really don't remember it but I was never grinding ladder or being a top player.
They went to extremely situational to the forgotten feature making company to Comancheros. Turning things actively bad in normal gameplay + locking their viability as "okay" behind shipments is a very good way to make them undesirable (coff coff, minor natives, outlaws). Can someone explain the pov? Or am I plain wrong? I'm totally in favor of keeping things balanced, but, for me, it looks like an overkill.

Grenadier and Consulate Young Guard tweaked as follows:
Now have perfect accuracy
Cavalry, Shock Infantry, and Villager multipliers reduced to 0.3x (from 0.5x)
Ranged resistance reduced to 40% (from 50%)
Siege attack rate of fire increased to 4 (from 3)

Cards
British Improved Grenades (II) card now grants 45% siege damage (down from 87%);
British Improved Grenades moved to the Industrial Age (from Commerce)

Tagging
Arsonist and Chakram “heavy infantry” unit-tag removed
Engineering School and TEAM Engineering School no longer tag Grenadiers so that they cannot be trained instantly when combined with infantry improvements such as the Fencing School card

Incendiary Grenades
improvement moved to Age 2 so it can be researched at early arsenals enabled by the Logistician;

now instead improves units tagged as ‘AbstractGrenadier’; also affects the Peruvian Guard’s Grenade attack
siege damage improvement reduced to +0.15x against buildings (from 0.3x);

Added a new Grenade Launcher card(Enables Grenadiers to be trained and equips them with a hand mortar which quickly propels explosives and increases their range).The effect is as follows:
Available to all European civilizations in the Fortress Age
Enables Grenadiers to be trained at the Artillery Foundry (if not already available)
Equips Grenadiers with a Firearm (hand mortar), which enables them to shoot much quicker; can kite; overall rate of fire is unchanged
Increases Grenadier range by +2
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Re: Why were Grenadiers so nerfed in DE?

Post by helln00 »

iirc they were too op in the DE beta before release that they were nerf, I don't know how because I was never in the beta but thats the story I hear from people in the forum.

On release they had a lot of upside tbh, they don't miss anymore, they have much better base animation. I guess units with splash is just one of those things that will just be on the balance of extreme op and complete garbage.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

the overreactive gren nerf set a precedent that was never again followed in DE balance, kinda weird man.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah they made a garbage unit even worse for no apparent reason, it's called DE logic
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It's because of the grenade launcher card. It used to give the AA upgrade for 4area + multiplier vs buildings. Brit grens specifically could be OP. I still think they got unecessarily overnerfed but ye that's pretty much the logic.
Image Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

1. make grens viable to a moderate extent by following EP9 grens of no hi tag, still slow expensive and relatively niche.

2. Make a card that turns them into falconets

3. obviously the unit is the problem not the card, so nerf the unit into oblivion
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

for reference

Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I was like 6 months late to DE. So are grens now worse than on EP? or even RE?
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

grens could really just be a euro version of chinese flamethrowers. the unit is basically meant to function the same-- relatively short range, counters infantry and buildings, dies to cav, hard to position well and easily kited but once it gets on top of you, it can be devastating.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Because in the beta people were complaining that like age 3 grens were dying to age 4 cav.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

would be cool to see it made into a flamethrower basically. raise the cost, hp, and damage, make it so you can only get 3-5 at a time in most fights
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

aligator92 wrote:I was like 6 months late to DE. So are grens now worse than on EP? or even RE?
As you can see in the spoiler they reduced Grens' power by ~20% and then gave them a card that makes them 10%-20% better, depending on your style, cards, match ups etc.

Overall a nerf.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Compared to EP, overall a boost.
Image Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

theyre 40% weaker vs cav, 40rr instead of 50rr, their siege rof was nerfed 4.0 instead of 3.0 AND heavy infantry. in what insane world do you live in where thats a buff
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

they were HI even on EP and TAD.
On DE they got the grenade launcher, plus some boosts I dont recall (cost?). They did got nerfed back later tho, but they should still be better than the old unit which was really meh.
Image Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Garja wrote:they were HI even on EP and TAD.
On DE they got the grenade launcher, plus some boosts I dont recall (cost?). They did got nerfed back later tho, but they should still be better than the old unit which was really meh.
ep 8 & 9 they were not heavy infantry, which was what finally made them actually fit into the counter system. now they're bad against infantry, all cavalry, and artillery. their ranged hp is nerfed, their melee damage (not kidding) got nerfed, they are again heavy infantry despite being bad vs cav, they have increased penalties against cavalry, they have lower effective siege dps, they have not received any buff to damage, to speed, to base hp.

edit: and Incendiary grenades got nerfed, and brit grens got nerfed, how can i forget
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Because people over reacted and acted like grens were the most broken unit in the game with the age 3 card and cried and cried.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

gibson wrote:Because people over reacted and acted like grens were the most broken unit in the game with the age 3 card and cried and cried.
the power of the Semi-ff lobby