Collecting Treasures With Villagers Worth it?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Collecting Treasures With Villagers Worth it?

Post by AndiAOE »

Is it worth it to use villagers to get treasures? The question popped up yesterday during the ESOC stream of Yukitty vs April (September?). So i did some calculations and stuff and thought i might share it ;). BTW: Where are the recordings? Why not on youtube?

TLDR: Valuewise you get more ressources, but your vill will be low hp. Depends on treasure etc.

If someone know the ROF for asian guardians let me know, i honestly dont know the exact number.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Collecting Treasures With Villagers Worth it?

Post by Mitoe »

Most guardians have an ROF of 1 or 1.5, but some don’t have an ROF at all, in which case their ROF defaults to the duration of their attack animation.

This is why there are some guardians like Tigers where if you walk away from them you actually end up cancelling part of their attack animation, and then they start the next animation immediately, drastically increasing their DPS.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of vills killing treasure guardians in the future !
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

interesting analysis. cool how there are still things like this to think about in this 15+ year old game
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

was it a misclick tho
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Mitoe wrote:Most guardians have an ROF of 1 or 1.5, but some don’t have an ROF at all, in which case their ROF defaults to the duration of their attack animation.

This is why there are some guardians like Tigers where if you walk away from them you actually end up cancelling part of their attack animation, and then they start the next animation immediately, drastically increasing their DPS.
What

I always thought tigers had faster ROF than explorers so I was trying to walk back between every melee to improve the DPS ratio. I guess I've been doing it backwards the whole time?

Guess I better do some actual testing. If it turns out I've been spending a bunch of micro to maximize the damage to my explorer 🤦
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

musketeer925 wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Most guardians have an ROF of 1 or 1.5, but some don’t have an ROF at all, in which case their ROF defaults to the duration of their attack animation.

What

I always thought tigers had faster ROF than explorers so I was trying to walk back between every melee to improve the DPS ratio. I guess I've been doing it backwards the whole time?

Guess I better do some actual testing. If it turns out I've been spending a bunch of micro to maximize the damage to my explorer 🤦
If you walk while it is snared then I think you probably do actually lower its DPS because while it is snared it is too slow to hit you again after you cancel the first animation. In depends on the angle you walk though, some angles it will get 2-3 hits almost instantly.

Definitely never walk away from a tiger without snaring it though, you lose so many hitpoints so fast
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Tigers, leopards, lions etc has 1.0 ROF, but if you try to escape from them, they become rampage and their attack speed will increase drastically. 2 hits or even 3 hits in one second? I'm not sure.
You can still try to kite them with your melee explorer (as you can snare them), but you'll lose mass HP if you mistake.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Mitoe wrote:
Definitely never walk away from a tiger without snaring it though, you lose so many hitpoints so fast
It's quite realistic when you think about it
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

fei123456 wrote:Tigers, leopards, lions etc has 1.0 ROF, but if you try to escape from them, they become rampage and their attack speed will increase drastically. 2 hits or even 3 hits in one second? I'm not sure.
You can still try to kite them with your melee explorer (as you can snare them), but you'll lose mass HP if you mistake.
Sometimes the treasures in Manchuria (and other maps) are too near to a cliff as well as a TP slot, that if you decide to take a sharpshot on one lion and build a TP, your explorer may never escape the lion's radius and you lose him to the other lion for free.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Realife_Brahmin wrote:Sometimes the treasures in Manchuria (and other maps) are too near to a cliff as well as a TP slot, that if you decide to take a sharpshot on one lion and build a TP, your explorer may never escape the lion's radius and you lose him to the other lion for free.
consequences
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

The main reason I never did this is because there is usually a good time with my explorer to grab it. In that case its just 40 food of profit.

If you are going to do that you should pop all the tc vils in take a shot and ungarrison them. It provides a burst of damage at the expense of 1 tick of food each. Each tc shot with 6 vils would be 60 damage so you could in theory garrison the tc and shoot twice to kill that treasure without ungarrisoning. I suspect that would actually be more food efficient and cost zero hp.

Again this requires that your explorer never has an opportunity to grab that treasure at a relevant time. (Either in age 1 to get up a vil sooner, or anytime in transition if the 40 food isnt critical to your age 1 strategy). Additionally, because the food needed to sneak up 1 villager sooner is typically tight, losing most of the food profit from the treasure means that getting it in age 1 doesn't even do anything for you unless you use your explorer.