1 Year of DE: What would you like to see changed/fixed?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

1 Year of DE: What would you like to see changed/fixed?

Post by AndiAOE »

So we have come quite far with the now 1 year anniversary of DE. I thought about what is good and what still needs some fixing.
what do you think are the most annoying bugs in the game? What features would you wish for?

This is my incomplete list:
  • Replays still "slower than usual" - So the game is notable slower than the gameplay, when watched in replay
  • Game still needs to be restarted so the performance is consistent. Bad performance in "big" teamgames, especially at the "start" of the action
  • Unit AI still not good - Especially the attack move, the Melee unit AI and the canon AI (give us a permanent limber stance please, so they dont start randomly unpacking)
  • Multplayer disconnection issues still present for a notable part of the playerbase
  • Multiplayer API not here. So no advanced gamestats like in AOE 2 possible (https://aoe2.net/)
  • Multiplayer experience still not on the same lvl as old Eso. No real ranks (Milestone) BTW: ESO was ahead of its time, now all games do have a similar system like the military ranks (Ranks in CSGO / LOL / DOTA etc). A single number is not really encouraging and doesnt feel "good" to climb, while it is fun to climb the military ladder (for example). Casual ranks not useful and do not really help balancing games. Clan/ Friendlist etc barely functional. No browsing/ Deckbuilding while searching. No Chatting while Searching game etc... No looking at decks of other people pre game
  • Lobbys sometimes buggy. Sometimes it is impossible for players to join.
  • Blitz Treaty (Who did ask for empire wars ? :/)
  • Scenario Editor still not good and barely useable (broken Scripts, many options not there, looks old)
  • Scenarios tend to delete your Homecities when you play Multiplayer
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Re: 1 Year of DE: What would you like to see changed/fixed?

Post by Jerimuno »

Input delay regarding ctrl groups, same as with chat functionality
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

What this game needs in my opinion apart from what you listed:

-Online/Offline friendlist.
-Observer mode.
-Ability to re-order decks.
-Creating/Researching/Building times showed, same as cost or population.
-Showing map list of map pools.
-In lobbies, default server should be ''all regions'', not ''closest region''.
-Shift+idle vill should select a group of idle vills which are close to each other. Same as legacy. Now I have to select every single villager one by one.
-Show elo on load screen.

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Another tiny one:

- Show the game's winner in the "recorded game playback finished" screen
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

this game need to be unstall and they have to refund us till this fking game be decent
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

hope that aoe4 have some different rank to work with ELO.. and not only the fking ELO.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

removal all DE cheese
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

honestly they just need to get a semblance of balance. I like Hausa but I cant play the damn civ.. now inca is busted
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

no new civs please.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

More new civs please. We still lack Hungary, Poland, Denmark, Wallachia, Order of Malta, and a proper Prussia/Austria/Saxony/Bavaria/Free Imperial City of Ulm/Duchy of Cleves divide. Byzantium would also be a nice addition, because - technically - they fit into a timeline from the end of the reign of Augustus to the death of Unsinkable Sam.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

Just, ranked lobbies, for several reason :

-> Teamgames lost the majority of its activity, because you can't just show up randomly at any time of the day to play, you need to have 2 mates online and free to play a 3v3... and need another 3v3 team searching at the same moment. It took me less time in 2020 to find a game on nilla than now on DE.

-> I'm not a 1v1 player, but I see people raging over and over because they play broken stuff, with lobbies you could just choose playing versus it or not. 90% of the map pool is africa maps and they''re not the best.

-> Once, and we all know that, the devs will stop supporting the game, in 1 year, maybe 2 or 3 who knows. And at that moment, good luck to keep playing only in QS when maphackers, monstertruck, spawners etc... will arrive, it will literally end the game as there will be no escaping from that.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If I could change one thing I’d make the game smoothe and responsive.
Germany lenlenlena3
Musketeer
ESO: lenlenlena

Post by lenlenlena3 »

- People with slightly lower graphic card specs still can't use obscure unit alpha and see through trees, even though they said they had worked on this months ago.
- Online Status for friend list like in vanilla so you don't have to seed through 100's of names.
- Live spectating games has a timeline bug that sometimes won't allow you to watch the game for longer than 10 seconds.
- Stop hunts from going to the edge of the map, which makes it hard to herd them in correctly.
- Toggle button for villager auto attack, so that when villagers stop gathering food they go idle not half way through the map to find the hunt.
-
https://www.twitch.tv/lenlenlena

play aoe 3 like aoe 4 doesn't even exist baby
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

I'd like to see a bit of effort put into balancing civs for team games. Namely, tuning up civs that don't have insane eco booms since that's what's kind of dominated team games in all of DE's time, probably via some new or rebuffed TEAM shipments.
No Flag SamFisher101
Crossbow

Post by SamFisher101 »

This might be a bit off the usual track, but I would like some improvements to the alert system. Currently, I feel that one of the biggest issues that new players might face is the requirement of high situational awareness of a lot of portions of the map. For instance, it is easy to miss raids in your base if you are currently engaged in a fight in the middle of the map or under the enemy TC. If they could incorporate distinct sounds for different types of engagements, it would help a lot w/ situational awareness.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Cleters wrote:Just, ranked lobbies, for several reason :

-> Teamgames lost the majority of its activity, because you can't just show up randomly at any time of the day to play, you need to have 2 mates online and free to play a 3v3... and need another 3v3 team searching at the same moment. It took me less time in 2020 to find a game on nilla than now on DE.

-> I'm not a 1v1 player, but I see people raging over and over because they play broken stuff, with lobbies you could just choose playing versus it or not. 90% of the map pool is africa maps and they''re not the best.

-> Once, and we all know that, the devs will stop supporting the game, in 1 year, maybe 2 or 3 who knows. And at that moment, good luck to keep playing only in QS when maphackers, monstertruck, spawners etc... will arrive, it will literally end the game as there will be no escaping from that.
hard disagree at least for now, quicksearch is such a luxury compared to lobbies. even if it takes a long time, its infinitely better than what lobbies used to be like on RE/EP. Do you remember? "are you there bro? hello? 11 11 11 31 31 31" *you have been removed from the lobby by the host*, repeat that for a half hour before you actually get a game.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

yea please just balance the game is the main thing. just literally hire someone who plays the game at a high level. im sorry, the devs do lots of things great, but they just dont appear to understand what is balanced and what is way out of line for competitive multiplayer. we've seen this with every new civ that was released, where it appears like the devs just dramatically underestimate how strong certain things are in competitive games. At this point it feels almost guaranteed that whatever the new civ is, it will be broken and stupid OP for a month or so at least. for me personally it would be more fun if the new civs were underpowered on release, so it could actually be a challenge or a puzzle to figure out viable strats, and it would encourage people to explore all aspects of the civ. I still have fun trying to workshop quirky builds for aztec FFs and stuff like that. I still haven't really touched hausa or ethiopia yet because they still just feel so one-dimensionally OP, it feels unfun to play.

unless of course they make new civs OP on purpose to create hype or something, in which case, please stop doing that, its stupid
No Flag Cleters
Skirmisher
ESO: Cleters

Post by Cleters »

Squamiger wrote:

hard disagree at least for now, quicksearch is such a luxury compared to lobbies. even if it takes a long time, its infinitely better than what lobbies used to be like on RE/EP. Do you remember? "are you there bro? hello? 11 11 11 31 31 31" *you have been removed from the lobby by the host*, repeat that for a half hour before you actually get a game.

What do you think about the last part ?

+ QS is better for 1v1 only, teams and treaty are just fkd by that system.
Could you even imagine playing tad, but only in qs ?

I really don't understand people blaming all the problems on balance, that game was never ever once balanced and it never blocked people from playing it, nor it blocked the people complaining here.
Great Britain andrewgs
Musketeer

Post by andrewgs »

2020 isn't a good comparison because more people were playing due to pandemic lockdowns. I think there are more people playing now than pre pandemic, and it takes a similar amount of time to find a DE QS game to TAD lobby at peak times. QS games are rarely balanced so the games are just terrible in comparison to lobby games.

You can only play so many games where you're matched with a teammate building mills in age 1 before you realise it's a waste of time and stop playing, reducing the player base. This is bad now and will become worse with AOE4.

It's more than just ranked lobbies though; the game browser is awful.
It's difficult to find games that aren't noob games. There's no way to sort by rank. Noone understands the casual rank system, and AFAIK it doesn't tell you if a player is good or not. You have to hover over a name for 5 seconds to check their rated rank. Half the time it doesn't load a rank and just shows loading if they haven't played rated. You can't check decks to get an idea of their ability.

Ranked lobbies would at least make it so you can work out if someone is good.
Squamiger wrote: hard disagree at least for now, quicksearch is such a luxury compared to lobbies. even if it takes a long time, its infinitely better than what lobbies used to be like on RE/EP. Do you remember? "are you there bro? hello? 11 11 11 31 31 31" *you have been removed from the lobby by the host*, repeat that for a half hour before you actually get a game.
That's bad hosting, people being reluctant to kick. The upside to lobby games is you can queue a game and go semi-AFK, to the toilet or whatever, without a game starting. It's more time efficient when there's 5 people waiting on a 6th.
France speedflyer
Dragoon
ESO: speedflyer

Post by speedflyer »

we could fine decent team games in a decent time on RE without being lame by shitters playing japan/inca/hausa , or inca/hausa/germany and argentina revolt , team games are just disgusting as fuck since DE came out. And no matter if you want it or not , 1v1 is just less played then team game. So they should definitely brings back team lobby.
I hope Zoi and his team of faithful minions can stop demonizing people
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well ranked lobbies will never happen since it lowers the integrity of the ranking system. From a dev perspective it doesn’t make sense to add it.
Brazil Youssef
Skirmisher
ESO: Youssef2709

Post by Youssef »

would like to see a attack move prioritizing units instead walls and buildings
idk how it works but all units should have an attack move range, and when u click to attack move ur unit search the closest enemy in attack move range, including the melee units.
imo units should prioritize enemy who is attacking, enemy, and then buildings. It would make a less frustrating and annoying game.
United States of America Dolphincup
Musketeer
ESO: Dolphincup

Post by Dolphincup »

Squamiger wrote:yea please just balance the game is the main thing. just literally hire someone who plays the game at a high level. im sorry, the devs do lots of things great, but they just dont appear to understand what is balanced and what is way out of line for competitive multiplayer. we've seen this with every new civ that was released, where it appears like the devs just dramatically underestimate how strong certain things are in competitive games. At this point it feels almost guaranteed that whatever the new civ is, it will be broken and stupid OP for a month or so at least. for me personally it would be more fun if the new civs were underpowered on release, so it could actually be a challenge or a puzzle to figure out viable strats, and it would encourage people to explore all aspects of the civ. I still have fun trying to workshop quirky builds for aztec FFs and stuff like that. I still haven't really touched hausa or ethiopia yet because they still just feel so one-dimensionally OP, it feels unfun to play.

unless of course they make new civs OP on purpose to create hype or something, in which case, please stop doing that, its stupid
IMO many of their ideas are good ones (although some are seemingly random), they just need to be filtered by a high level player or two. Feels like there's 1 or 2 too few people on the balance team.

I'm guessing that 90%+ of people who play aoe3 play single player only tho and probably only 5 of the remaining 10% actually play competitively so it's hard to imagine that they'd hire more people for this. best we can hope for is that they start communicating with top players directly about balance and that those top-level players assist them out of the kindness of their hearts.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Dolphincup wrote:
Squamiger wrote:yea please just balance the game is the main thing. just literally hire someone who plays the game at a high level. im sorry, the devs do lots of things great, but they just dont appear to understand what is balanced and what is way out of line for competitive multiplayer. we've seen this with every new civ that was released, where it appears like the devs just dramatically underestimate how strong certain things are in competitive games. At this point it feels almost guaranteed that whatever the new civ is, it will be broken and stupid OP for a month or so at least. for me personally it would be more fun if the new civs were underpowered on release, so it could actually be a challenge or a puzzle to figure out viable strats, and it would encourage people to explore all aspects of the civ. I still have fun trying to workshop quirky builds for aztec FFs and stuff like that. I still haven't really touched hausa or ethiopia yet because they still just feel so one-dimensionally OP, it feels unfun to play.

IMO many of their ideas are good ones (although some are seemingly random), they just need to be filtered by a high level player or two. Feels like there's 1 or 2 too few people on the balance team.

I'm guessing that 90%+ of people who play aoe3 play single player only tho and probably only 5 of the remaining 10% actually play competitively so it's hard to imagine that they'd hire more people for this. best we can hope for is that they start communicating with top players directly about balance and that those top-level players assist them out of the kindness of their hearts.
I wonder about this claim that "most people who play aoe3 play the single player". I think its probably true in terms of absolute numbers, in that yes, out of everyone who has bought the game ever, the majority of people have only played single player. But I wonder what the percentage is for people who actually stick around and play the game for the long-term? Theres only so much single player content. I imagine lots of people bought the game when it launched and played the campaign and historical battles and skirmishes for a few weeks, and then got bored of it. But out of the people who are still playing the game now, I bet a lot bigger percentage are people playing multiplayer. I guess it doesn't matter financially to the devs though, since they make all their money on the initial purchase.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I'm gonna drop few things that I think DE devs did deliberately wrong:
- adding new maps straight up to the quicksearch pool (as well as too many maps in the pool in the first place)
- forcing heavy ranged units (e.g. musketeer) in front when in the same group with other ranged infantry
- changing Inca from its somewhat ok balance point
- changing the build/find hotkey dynamic in the hotkeys so that now building takes priority

Those are the first things that come to mind. I will add more probably.
Image Image Image