Current civ tier list

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Current civ tier list

Post by Garja »

That tier list is garbage.

S tier:
Brits, Inca, China

A tier:
Spain, India, Japan, Dutch, Ports, Iro (?), Germans (?) French (?)

B tier:
All other civs
Image Image Image
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

I mean, apart from the c tier with Ports, Ethiopia and Hausa that is a absolute meme, I was negatively surprised on how reasonable the tier list look like.
Like, there is not even a S+ tier with only Germany on... Are you feeling alright there @turnuva?

Also, I must say I am surprised on how literally everyone on the thread is placing Swedes on B tier on lower. What happened that this civ was so broken a couple of months ago, now they are on the weak side apparently? :hmm:
Hong Kong sirius123
Crossbow

Post by sirius123 »

I don't know but why USA feel so strong right now? I used to win effortlessly against them but I do not win single game against USA currently :cry:

I feel Gatling gun kill everything and USA age 2 is surprising good right now.

Maybe 2 falc push should be good but I was playing German so I haven't try making any falc yet. I should try it next time.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

In my experience fighting the USA is an artillery battle in age 3: you need to get culvs out in most games.
Think cowboys are pretty busted, but they aren't used in every game thankfully.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Brit is just the same, very solid, can face basically all civs (yet still most dictate the game vs them).
China is also the same as it has always been but now with cheaper villages. Of course underratred, of course with great winrate, now people finally realized that their age2 play isn't even bad (actually above average if you consider some euro civs don't even have a real 3 unit combo in age2).
Inca are just a strong civ. Now they have to send 2 war huts instead of 600w first (they get wood ups in return tho). Even with 2 less houses they can have more eco than before because of 5v card and 4v BB (both optional tho, it's probably better to not aim for that early on). They basically have the same res income of Dutch but with a better age 2, especially now that ranged ups are moved back one age. Just when you think their eco is maxed in the second age2 you have stuff like 4 fattened lamas to give a food boost. Trade it for gold (if 700g already used) and they can age fast at any point. Alternatively stay in age2 with the kallanca shipment (finally 500w cost). Feels like a super backed up civ in every regard, I don't see how they can lose if a player decides to master them. I guess they ar somewhat slow early on (first 10 unit batch out at 6minute with standard eco build) but the point is, can any civ explot it if then eco and units just win anyway (like Japan)?

Spain is supposedly very strong but it's basically the same old Spain with couple new unit upgrades. I don't think logistician makes the civ much better in the end (you could basically do the same aggressive builds with age2 cards instead, unless I am missing some all in- cut vill in age1- type of strat with logistician which may still be nothing special).
USA might still be ok even with militia nerfed but it was never super strong?. It is just a resourceful civ with all the infinite stuf they get from trickles and the factory, plus lot of cards to twist the game, wagon spam mechanic, the industrial free vill strat, etc.
Ports are just the same, they benefit for an unjustified 5% food buff and are the most euro skirm/goon civ ever. All you have to do is trade with skirm/goon till eco autowins. Vs civs that have strong timings you make use of CM and aim for the same. Not crazy strong but definetely A tier and I'd say better than Fre/Ger.
Speaking of Ger, they were so nerfed that now they are quite average, Idk why some people still consider them top civ. Iro (with doc nerfed) and French are also kinda average but still solid. Dutch seems more powerful, unless I'm missing some specific strats vs them from the other semi FF civs.
Japan is still quite solid even tho the 100f crate nerf is huge and the civ finds itself in bad spot early on without age1 food treasures.
Aztecs are probably about competitive now. They got buffed repeatedly so it must be the case. But on the other hand they still suffer from the same problem of being a gnarly civ to play, with the units getting outmicroed all the time and their eco not being super strong from the get go nor very resilient (they have no autogathering mechanic like Inca). They just have to hit the right timings, grind the game probably risking some moves (e.g. trading army for eco damage and then catch up from there). All of this makes them not appealing unless you like that playstyle and want to commit on mastering the civ.
India once again is the underrated civ while it's basically a super solid civ with units/eco that are eventually borderline OP.
Idk well about Swedes honestly, the civ might be A tier still.
I tried hausa, their start has been overnerfed? (first vill in queue at 12 secs lol) They seem quite garbage aside from the units.
Russia probably about the same as before, now slightly better I guess. Otto idk, the TC spam strat seems good and it probably is with proper play (spending all resources with proper unit combo and not just troll turtle hoping opponent misplays) but aside from that they should be quite shite just because both jans and abus got overnerfed. Sioux idk, after vill nerf etc. they are back again at being a mediocre semi FF civ?

Of course all of this is just my opinion based on what I used to know about civ balance and updated from what I see through patch notes. There are basically no good players active (or atleast I don't see them playing) so it's just hard to make a power rank.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Germany always been S tier, noobs
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

this is my opinion, take it for what it is. 90% of my games is just japan laming
Attachments
my-image (1).png
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Hausa is somehow like RE China now. Their start is quite slow, but their late game unit combo is still insane.
I don't understand how you put lakota in tier 2, and huusa in tier 3.
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

Garja wrote: Ports are just the same, they benefit for an unjustified 5% food buff and are the most euro skirm/goon civ ever. All you have to do is trade with skirm/goon till eco autowins. Vs civs that have strong timings you make use of CM and aim for the same. Not crazy strong but definetely A tier and I'd say better than Fre/Ger.
I had a deep laughter after reading this ngl, not the first time you are misinterpreting ports, in the august update they got effected by 7 remarkable nerfs without actual reasoning/data behind but only based on the manipulation/effect of a few players on Forgotten Empires balance discord, everyone involved there knows that.

Some of them even bragged about how they achieved the nerfs but it's another topic anyway. Ports are clearly on a bottom tier right now like they were in the legacy times.

There is not much options you have against Inca/India/Spain/Germany/china and so on, the cassa/goon composition simply doesn't work against civs especially like china/spain/Inca, and with the CM nerf ports don't even have a legit answer against falconets now as Organ guns are not comparable to falconets, 800 resources worth shipment in age3 basicly meanwhile other europe civs have a better version of it. of course we aren't talking about maps with 5 TP or Indonesia, other than that they are close to ethiopia/hausa in terms of how bad performing they have.

Just a reminder.. You were also calling how EP ports were "So strong" aswell.. So I'm not suprised with your bias towards it. ;)

Cringe Map Maker wrote:let me know when microsoft publishes some of your maps
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Just lol. Ports have been buffed more than basically any other civ but Aztecs and you're still crying when they're better than most civs and easy to play at the same time.

Also nice that you post some unrated game of 2019 when I had zero business with the game already (since years eh) while you were all active and shit. You won because I played bad in those games not because Ports can't beat Iros.

I did miss the CM nerf. What was that exactly?
Image Image Image
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

Garja wrote:Just lol. Ports have been buffed more than basically any other civ but Aztecs and you're still crying when they're better than most civs and easy to play at the same time.

Also nice that you post some unrated game of 2019 when I had zero business with the game already (since years eh) while you were all active and shit. You won because I played bad in those games not because Ports can't beat Iros.

I did miss the CM nerf. What was that exactly?
Are you sure that we are playing the same game Garja?

Let's have a look at what is added and removed and from ports compared to legacy

Buffs

- Infrantry cards moved from age4 to age2 and age3
- TC gives 50+ xp upon construction
- 5% food buff
- 1+ attack to cassadors
- Organs unpack better

Nerfs

- Dragoon ranged resistance decreased to 20% (from 30%)
- CM has been nerfed
- 100 food removed from starting crates
- Schooners nerf
- “Hire Egyptian Mamelukes” shipment decreased to 4 Mamelukes (from 5)
- “Genitours” shipment effect to +4 Dragoon range (from +6)
- Whale oil shipment nerf
- Monitor nerf

In fact, these "general" changes effect ports more than any other civ, they were already bottom tier civ and you can't imagine how significant nerfs these are, compared to that 5% buff or other late mid game scaling cards which doesn't have an impact for early game at all, apart from that, these buffs aren't that significant to create a difference at all. It's not hard to notice that current ports aren't in a better position than legacy ports which was also bottom tier.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

And now you have 3 hunts in base which is the biggest buff ports could ever get...
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

having 3 hunts in the base is sure good for turtle civs noone denies that, but it doesn't help you to beat against much stronger composition of other civs, even veteran pikes are performing somewhat well against cassadors. Economy of ports are not the issue we are discussing here, it's just that they lack way huge tempo right now for not having actual good unit composition tempo or lacking a decent artillery shipment which you also agreed with.. it also puts them behind against other semi-ff civs.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yes we know pikes > cassadores already
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

half of those nerfs are shared with other euro civs lmao and schooners is not even a nerf
Kaiserklein wrote:Yes we know pikes > cassadores already
ye cassador need more melee attack...

... also more fish in the water
Image Image Image
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

Can't justify the nerfs? ---> Alright let's troll the thread ! legit strat haha
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

big brain ports main takes on the world
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

harcha wrote:this is my opinion, take it for what it is. 90% of my games is just japan laming
Really ethiopia? I feel like i have the hardest times against them with their mortar and their 5 "Mam equivalent" influence shipment. Also basically unraidable
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

most port changes all pretty much universal, you can't call them port nerfs. It's just adjusting the game
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

AndiAOE wrote:
harcha wrote:this is my opinion, take it for what it is. 90% of my games is just japan laming
Really ethiopia? I feel like i have the hardest times against them with their mortar and their 5 "Mam equivalent" influence shipment. Also basically unraidable
the start was nerfed, one less cow at the start, the gascenya with 2 less range makes the unit much more balanced and the mortar has a mediocre mobility (which makes sense in view of the damage it does) and the oromo card has a cost now

But i think the civ still has potential it's just that no one is playing it right now, maybe i'll play it a bit because the design of these civs is not that bad tbh
Image Image
No Flag turnuva
Crossbow

Post by turnuva »

All those universal nerfs somewhat effect ports more meanwhile other civs get less effected or not effected at all. I could argue CM nerf is irrelevant for france but very significant for ports, Goon RR nerf might be okay for Spain/France/Brit but ports always relied on having strong goons because cassadors have around 50% lesser hp than regular skirms and so on. That kind of conclusion is just not a legit justification to make a civ unplayable.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

princeofkabul wrote:most port changes all pretty much universal, you can't call them port nerfs. It's just adjusting the game
sure but they hit port the hardest, u could give port xp crate like usa has to compensate for tc xp nerf. besides water maps port is clearly trash tier now
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

turnuva wrote: cassadors have around 50% lesser hp than regular skirms
I will explain the design of this unit to you: the unit has 4.50 speed with less hp than a classic skirm but more range resist, which means that the unit fights very well against other skirms (even better since 4.50 speed and more rr), the unit is very mobile which is not the case with other skirms, the unit mainly costs food and 35 gold i believe (which is cheaper than a classic skirm btw and just as strong) and of course the unit has the design to die easily vs melee cav and the falc since it has a very good mobility and a lower cost than the other skirm and ofc less HP ( make sense right ), and if you lose cassador against pike you just suck tbh
Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Kartoffel Joe wrote:
princeofkabul wrote:most port changes all pretty much universal, you can't call them port nerfs. It's just adjusting the game
sure but they hit port the hardest, u could give port xp crate like usa has to compensate for tc xp nerf. besides water maps port is clearly trash tier now
The TC xp is a buff.

How is port trash tier on water maps lol?
Image Image Image
Australia PatrickLFC
Musketeer

Post by PatrickLFC »

kevinitalien wrote:
AndiAOE wrote:
the start was nerfed, one less cow at the start, the gascenya with 2 less range makes the unit much more balanced and the mortar has a mediocre mobility (which makes sense in view of the damage it does) and the oromo card has a cost now

But i think the civ still has potential it's just that no one is playing it right now, maybe i'll play it a bit because the design of these civs is not that bad tbh
This is part of the problem with every new DE civ. The top players (not all, but the ones who try to use/learn the new civs) either abuse it completely when it's OP or ignore it completely when it's seen as anything less than OP. So then we have this cycle like with Inca and Sweden when the civs just get random buffs and become insane, and when they're brought back into line top players drop them again and everyone calls them C-tier or unplayable or whatever when they're actually probably just balanced. We're probably two patches away from another big Sweden buff because everyone seems to have decided that the fact you have to choose two of max torp booming, double/triple rax caroleans and ageing instead of doing all three simultaneously means the civ is now bottom tier?