If you woke as a AOE3 DEV tomorrow, whats the first you would change in this game?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Germany lenlenlena3
Musketeer
ESO: lenlenlena

If you woke as a AOE3 DEV tomorrow, whats the first you would change in this game?

Post by lenlenlena3 »

If you woke up tomorrow as a aoe 3 developer what would be the first thing you change in this game?

I'm deleting elephants and giraffes from the game no offence @Aizamk
https://www.twitch.tv/lenlenlena

play aoe 3 like aoe 4 doesn't even exist baby
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Re: If you woke as a AOE3 DEV tomorrow, whats the first you would change in this game?

Post by JKProwler »

Fix ranked team games
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Re: If you woke as a AOE3 DEV tomorrow, whats the first you would change in this game?

Post by aaryngend »

lenlenlena3 wrote:If you woke up tomorrow as a aoe 3 developer what would be the first thing you change in this game?
I would try to get to bed asap so I wake up as myself again. Being a dev for this game sounds like a hellhole.

If there was one thing I would change then it is the 1 name per account rule (maybe give a free namechange token once a year). Also make names unique.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

The first thing I would do is probably check out whatever internal communication tool they use and start bumping shit from years earlier tbh
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
China ziper
Musketeer
ESO: 井井井井井井井井井井

Post by ziper »

Write the history compendium for new DE contents
India hastina
Crossbow
ESO: hastina

Post by hastina »

I'd balance the game with some care and caution.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Install EP on aoe3 de with legacy graphics
:nwc:
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

Online friendlist or legacy ranks as casual rank

Mexico Plutonic
Crossbow

Post by Plutonic »

I know this requires more than one dev but... Give it AoE2 treatment and build the game from scratch, with that take full control of pathing, hunts being dumb but also build from the very beginning with a better spectator/replay system so that new people can get resources and high levey replays way easier
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Plutonic wrote:I know this requires more than one dev but... Give it AoE2 treatment and build the game from scratch
This never happened with AoE2 :hmm:
It's still built on the Genie engine from 1997, although it has been enhanced a lot over the years of course.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Australia DunBanner
Crossbow

Post by DunBanner »

Redo the voicework for both Hauds and Lakota. Understand the reasons behind change, but their execution is woeful.

Rework the Havok physics system again as they're a downgrade in DE from legacy. Come to think of it now, both the destruction effects and building model ruins are modelled too closely after IV's approach.
Denmark jonasnee
Crossbow
ESO: jose96

Post by jonasnee »

im changing the faction choices they come up with.

but if it has to be mechanic/gameplay related?

id add a multiplier against infantry on grenadiers and lower their anti building dmg a little bit.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Acknowledge directives from my superiors and start development on new civilizations.
Mexico Plutonic
Crossbow

Post by Plutonic »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Plutonic wrote:I know this requires more than one dev but... Give it AoE2 treatment and build the game from scratch
This never happened with AoE2 :hmm:
It's still built on the Genie engine from 1997, although it has been enhanced a lot over the years of course.
... Yeah you're right, I could swear I saw an interview where one of the devs talked about how they had to make everything right, from the way units moved on terrain to the way they attacked... That too was probably referring to assets I guess.
Then If I woke up as a dev I would just donate half my paycheck to Aiz for about 5 months then just quit.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Probably straight up remove about 25% of the features of new civilizations. Basically everything that is clearly too much in terms of complexity or power or gimmickery.
Essentially a step back. I don't think just fixing those things is possible and/or worth the time.
Image Image Image
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Acknowledge directives from my superiors and start development on new civilizations.
Exactly. One does not simply refuse orders from the semi-ff gang.
Mexico Plutonic
Crossbow

Post by Plutonic »

jesus3 wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Acknowledge directives from my superiors and start development on new civilizations.
Exactly. One does not simply refuse orders from the semi-ff gang.
No veteran pike nerf coming then? :(
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Making the online multiplayer look more like ESO.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

I would start reviewing past changes and start updating/balancing old civilizations side to side to new civs with the very same category/ units.

I e:
If priests suck and I acknowledged that by making Padres, I have to compensate it by improving Legacy Healers a bit too.

If I'm gonna buff USA Outlaws I'd better think of a way to make outlaws more desirable by all the civilizations along with that too.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Challenger_Marco wrote:Install EP on aoe3 de with legacy graphics
i bet someone could make this mod
DNLgibraltar wrote:I would start reviewing past changes and start updating/balancing old civilizations side to side to new civs with the very same category/ units.

I e:
If priests suck and I acknowledged that by making Padres, I have to compensate it by improving Legacy Healers a bit too.

If I'm gonna buff USA Outlaws I'd better think of a way to make outlaws more desirable by all the civilizations along with that too.
yeah otto could really use some 4.75 strelets that buff each other in the area.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

harcha wrote:
DNLgibraltar wrote:I would start reviewing past changes and start updating/balancing old civilizations side to side to new civs with the very same category/ units.

I e:

yeah otto could really use some 4.75 strelets that buff each other in the area.

I really didn't get the irony.

I said the deficiency over some mechanics and units are constantly addressed solely through new civs. An this is not ok. I've never said I would copy: I said I would update and balance current issues too when making a new civ with a patch for these issues. I.e:

Healers- I'd use the Fan Patch tweak of +10% heal rate every age past Commerce Age (10HP/s, 11HP/s, 12HP/s, 13HP/s)

Outlaws- I'd also balance the Asian Outlaws instead of just the ones available for USA.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Just print screen my comment:
Italians are gonna have units who will throw nades from hot air balloons and cards based on The DaVinci Code.
Garja wrote:Probably straight up remove about 25% of the features of new civilizations. Basically everything that is clearly too much in terms of complexity or power or gimmickery.
Essentially a step back. I don't think just fixing those things is possible and/or worth the time.
I don't understand why Saltadores needed that invisibility power + free movement + automatic stealth WITHIN A COMBAT CARD!! :unsure:
Smh
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

I'd try get some good dubs in with the [DEV] clan tag
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

just change your steam name to [DEV] Dabn @tabben