The Need-To-Know Guide to Countering All the Funky New DE Units

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

The Need-To-Know Guide to Countering All the Funky New DE Units

Post by Squamiger »

DE has brought a wealth of new units and with it, a whole lot of confusion. I've been meaning to research these units to make sure I know how to counter them, and I thought I would share my research with the community. Here, I've tried to describe all these new units in plain laymans terms, and give a sense of how they actually are used in games, and how to best counter them. The aim is not to get bogged down in stats, but to describe how it feels to play against the unit in game, and counter it effectively. This is a guide mainly meant to help players who feel frustrated because they lose to these new civs mostly because they lack game knowledge. Some things may be incorrect or incomplete due to my own gaps in knowledge, so I encourage feedback to make this guide as good as it can be!

Sweden:
Caroleans - A relatively weak musketeer unit. The only musket that you don't pop into melee mode in order to counter cav, since they counter cav at range. Their melee mode does counter other heavy infantry though, so you can experiment with that. Their charge ability forces them into melee mode for a brief time. Normally they have melee resist but in age 4, Svea Lifeguard makes their resistance change from melee to ranged, meaning they can hold their own against skirms. Recommend countering them with artillery in late game, otherwise skirms do just fine. They also seem vulnerable to cavalry more than other muskets.
Hakkapellits - 20% ranged resist. Their default mode is a very short ranged attack, which does 2x vs pets (! rip spain) and hand shock infantry like coyote, but not vs normal hand cav. It also has a slight area of effect. So they appear sort of like a dragoon but in fact their are not a dragoon at all and don't have a multiplier vs cav. Their melee attack is high, with 48 damage in age 3 with no multipliers. In this sense they are sort of like a meteor hammer, having the same range with their ranged attack as a meteor hammers melee. Definitely want to counter these with dragoons, dont let them get into melee for sure. ranged attack will trade well vs. muskets or heavy infantry too.

Inca
Inca has some familiar units that I think most people are used to by now: jungle bowmen, plumed spearmen, and chimu runners are all relatively straightforward, as archers, pikes, and shock infantry style cav units, like coyote runners. Inca gets confusing for a lot of players to counter once they get into the later ages though, and start spamming these units:
Bolas Warrior- It basically functions like a spammable Incan musketeer, with a short ranged attack with area damage that also snares enemy units at range (I think, unless this was removed?). 20% ranged resist. Has a slight multiplier vs. ranged cav, and a 2x multiplier against heavy cav. Does only 2/3rds base damage to all infantry units. Best way to counter is with skirmisher or artillery. They generally beat other musketeers because of their area damage, so stay out of range with skirms.
Huaraca- Long ranged unit that sort of functions like an abus gun with better siege. 30% ranged resist. Does 40 siege damage at 20 range. Has a .50 negative bonus vs all cav and villagers, but no other multipliers. So it's good vs buildings, good vs. artillery, and good vs infantry units, though I'm told skirms will trade pretty evenly. Pretty strong. Best way to counter these is with hand cavalry I think, or anything that does melee damage. They trade fairly even vs. falconets as well but good luck picking them out in an Inca mass.
Maceman - just a big shitty skull knight, no one really uses them. just counter them with skirms or artillery.

USA
All new units. Some fill familiar niches, like state militia (beefcake strelets), regulars (muskets) sharpshooters (skirms, with 40% ranged resist though!) and carbine cav (dragoons). But there are the outlaw units from the tavern that confused me for a while:
Cowboy - a dragoon style outlaw unit, with a charged ability that dramatically increases range and damage for a single shot. can be upgraded to get this charged attack more often, which is what can make these units really strong and annoying to deal with. Counter with skirms or ideally, dragoons, since you will often need to chase these guys down as people like to run you around with them.
Gunslinger - Outlaw unit that functions like a musketeer, in that it has 3x against cavalry in melee mode. Has ranged resistance. Also has a charged attack that gives the ranged attack 3x damage bonus. Counter with skirmishers / artillery.
Owlhoot - Dressed in back, looks like an outlaw rifleman. Basically a skirmisher-type unit with an area of effect ranged attack. Has ranged resistance. Weirdly also has melee mode multipliers against heavy infantry and ranged cav. The area of effect ranged attack is much shorter range so its best to not let these get close.

Hausa
Loads of new units. These are just the ones that are specific to Hausa. See the Shared African Units section for more.

Unique War Camp Units: -
Fulani archer - basic archer type unit, multipliers vs. heavy inf and ranged cav. counter with art/hand cav.
Lifidi Knights - hand cav with high hp, 15% melee resistance PLUS 30% ranged resistance, and no multipliers at all, just 25 hand damage. Weird. Counter like a normal hand cav though, with goons or heavy infantry.
Raider - Pretty much a steppe rider. Good against vills, decent siege, decent against light infantry, low hp. Counter with normal anti cav.

Unique Palace Unit:
Maigadi - Strong heavy infantry unit, with high hp and attack in both range and melee. Has about the range of a dragoon or musket. 1.5 bonus against mercenaries, so can be used as a merc counter like a spy. Otherwise no multipliers. 20% ranged resist too. Counter with artillery or skirms, bc it pretty much wrecks everything else when fully carded. This is what Hausa get in the slot where Ethiopia gets the more well-known Big Boy Mortar.

Unique Native Units - Hausa get West African native units (Yoruba, Berber, Akan) from certain age ups, as well as the British (heavy cannon) and Arabs (gatling camels, see merc section).
Berber Nomad (ally with Berbers) - settler, good at gathering natural resources.
Berber Camel Rider (ally with Berbers) - a melee dragoon, with multipliers vs. hand cavalry, and melee resistance. Counter with skirms like any other dragoon.
Yoruba Oyo Legionary (ally with Yoruba) - a musketeer unit, strong against hand cav, but slow and tanky in general. counter with skirms/art
Yoruba Eso Rider (ally with Yoruba) - Hand cav, with 50% melee resist, 50% ranged resist. High attack, low multipliers. Health decays over time so try to avoid fighting them as long as possible. Counter with goons or heavy infantry.
Akan Ankobias (ally with Akan) - basic musketeer unit but with a slight area of effect attack at range. With melee resist. Counter with skirm/art, stagger mode vs. a lot of them.

Finally, there's the griot, which is trained from the university. It's a tanky unit that can speed building construction or slow enemy attack, I believe. Very pesky. Note that in addition to all these units listed above, Hausa can also train normal mercs and many types of European cannons.

Ethiopia
Get ready because there's a whole slew of Ethiopian units as well. See the Shared African Units section for more units that Ethiopia can get.

Unique War Camp Units:
Shotel Warrior - shock infantry unit, like a coyote runner. 1.25 multiplier vs. all infantry. counter with heavy infantry or goons.
Oromo Warrior - weird cav unit. Similar to a hakkapelit / harquebusier, but with longer range. Ranged resist, high ranged and melee attacks, no multipliers. Kinda works like a dragoon? Probably also really strong as just a hand cav. Very expensive though. Counter with dragoons, dont let it hit you in melee.
Gascenya - Musketeer unit, often the core of Ethiopian armies. Counter with skirm/art.
Neftenya - basic skirm unit. counter with hand cav / art.

Unique Palace Unit:
Sebastopol Mortar - the big boy. Incredible siege damage, strong against infantry and buildings. Negative multiplier vs. other artillery and vs. arrow knights. Counter with your own artillery, or cav.

Unique Native Units - Ethiopia gets access to East African native units (Somali and Sudanese) as well as the Portuguese cannoneer, and Indian mahouts/howdahs, as well as the Arab gatling camels (see the merc section). These East African natives are some of the trippier units in the game, that people just die to bc they dont know what they are.
Sudanese Dervish - Basically a ranged melee urumi without the area of effect. Deals melee damage at range and in hand attack. Attacks faster the closer you are to it. Very annoying and weird unit to counter. Melee at range is trippy. Counter with artillery or hand cav.
Somali Darood - Kind of an Arrow Knight/Huaraca unit. I think these maybe haven't yet been tried out to their true potential yet. 25 range! High siege damage. Multipliers are against artillery and ships. 30 ranged resistance, 30 siege damage resistance. I feel like these guys would trade well against skirms and infantry in general too. Counter with hand cav definitely.
Somali Issa Warrior - Musketeer style unit, but with multipliers against cav at both range and melee. 20% melee resistance. Basically a better gascenya. Counter with skirm/art.
Portuguese Cannoneer - pretty much an abus gun. Counter with hand cav and outrange with skirms.

Finally, there's the Abun, a tanky healer.

Shared African Units - Both African civs get these units:

War Camp Units:
Javelin Riders - Both African civs get these. 10% ranged resist. Basically functions like a mounted musketeer/dragoon hybrid, with bonuses vs. hand cav, shock infantry, and artillery, but also has a melee attack with even HIGHER bonuses vs hand cav, shock infantry, and artillery. It's kinda like a mounted musketeer more than a dragoon bc of its high melee attack. I think they still can do decently in melee mode vs. skirms as well, but skirms definitely still counter this unit, along with dragoons.

Units From House - African civs can train minutemen style units from houses. Apparently there is no build limit! lol.
Levied Spearman - a pike unit, essentially, but with bad siege. health decays.
Levied Bowman - an aenna / warrior type unit, with multipliers vs heavy inf and ranged cav. health decays.

Tower Units / African Map Outlaws:
Desert Warrior - basically a musketeer unit, multipliers vs. cav in melee. good siege. Desert warriors have range resist in range and melee resist in melee mode, great attack vs cav in melee, good DPS in range with a 1.5rof and is a perfect unit to round of compositions with no heavy infantry musk in age 2 like ger/dut. Beware.
Desert Raider - hand cav with 30X ranged resist, decent attack, no multipliers, decent siege
Desert Archer - Desert archers have a clunky 22 range bow attack which has some set up issues but with a 2x multipliers vs HI its like a longbowmen and a skirm had a baby. When enemies are within 16 range (or 18) they "switch" to a short bow, double rate of fire, great setup animation and all together has a greater damage out put vs infantry and cav. Desert archers seem to be a sleeper op in late brit mirrors i think due to available pop space and gold mines.
Corsair Marksman - basically a skirmisher unit, counter with artillery or cav. I think this is only available to Hausa, through an age up alliance.

Palace Units:
Levied Gunner - A minuteman style unit. It loses hitpoints over time. 20% melee resist. In ranged mode it has a bonus against siege units. In melee it has multipliers vs. siege and hand cav. It has negative multipliers vs. villager. Counter with skirm/art

Mexico - work in progress, I’ve barely touched this civ.
Soldado - 2 pop, basic musket, melee damage bonus vs. cav. Counter with skirms or artillery. Also has a grenade attack for siege. Dragoons counter them decently bc they are 2 pop so get more value by focusing them down
Insurgente - seems kinda like a cheap rodelero? Low siege but strong vs cav in melee and fast. cheap too. Counter with skirms or artillery.
Salteador - skirm that can go stealthy in age 2 :o Counter with hand cav or artillery.
Chinaco - kind of a cross between a lancer and a melee dragoon, it has mild bonuses vs both hand cav and light infantry. it;s much less effective against heavy infantry than a lancer though. Counter with heavy infantry or goons. probably cant counter it with hussars like you can against actual lancers.

then Mexico also has their own outlaws, that are parallel to USA ones, I think, but have different charged abilities.

Desperado - musket type outlaw, counter with skirms. charged attack is a fast, high damage attack. Counter with skirms or artillery.
Cuatrero - dragoon/cowboy style outlaw, with a charged attack that slows enemies. Counter with skirms
Bandido - skirm/rifleman style outlaw, that has a dynamite attack with high siege. counter with hand cav or artillery.

also, Mexico has a revolt unit that you're bound to see a lot:
Filibustero - 3 pop outlaw musketeer with decent siege attack, anti-cav/shock-inf melee attack but is just a worse Soldado on paper, however because all settlers turn into these when the player revolts, you're typically going to see a big blob of these. Counter with skirms, artillery, anything anti-infantry basically.

New DE Mercs
Askari - Musketeer, counters cav at range, no multiplier in melee like a carolean. Counter with skirms/art.
Dahomey Amazon - a skirmisher at range, dealing ranged damage with multipliers vs heavy inf and ranged cav. Fast moving and they switch their ranged gun attack to knives when a unit is closer, and throw knives faster the closer they are. Their melee mode is strong but the speedy knife attack is stronger. 10% melee resist.
Cannoneer - basically an abus gun. Counter with hand cav
Sennar Horseman - a mameluke, pretty much. counter with dragoons
Gatling Camel - fast artillery unit with multipliers against infantry, and especially heavy infantry. Basically an organ gun with 7.25 speed (cool DE), but since it's also technically a ranged cav unit it is countered by skirms and pikes as well as culverins and hand cav. But wouldn't recommend skirms or pikes since these units also get shredded by it. 30% ranged resistance.
Kanuri Guard - tanky dragoon unit, also has multipliers in melee against cavalry, but mainly you wanna use it in ranged. countered by skirms. 40% ranged resist!
Zenata Rider - same thing pretty much, a strong dragoon type unit. ranged resist. Counter with skirms.
Zouave - kind of a musket/skirm hybrid with long range and no multipliers, but it's tagged as a skirm so its countered by hand cav and benefits from counter infantry rifling. It's called a general unit that does well vs. everything, I think in practice it kinda sucks vs. everything for its cost. counter with skirms and artillery and hand cav.
Napolean Gun - anti-infantry, anti-building, with a close range attack with a huge bonus vs infantry. Counter with hand cav or culverins.
Harquebusier - same as a swedish hakkapelit pretty much, but with much higher attack. ranged attack can be used to kite, melee attack can just wreck anything it touches 20% ranged resist. Counter with dragoons, stay out of melee!
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: The Need-To-Know Guide to Countering All the Funky New DE Units

Post by callentournies »

If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Have you tried super male vitality?
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Squamiger wrote:Hakkapellits - 20% ranged resist. Their default mode is a very short ranged attack, which does 2x vs pets (! rip spain) and hand shock infantry, which I think means pikes and halberds and things.
Hand Shock infantry are things like coyote runners, chimmus, rattan shield, tiger claws and shotel warriors. Basically cav but not cav.

Hakkapellits are best thought of as the Chinese meteor hammer without the snare

edit: same to the ethiopian Oromo warrior
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

helln00 wrote:
Squamiger wrote:Hakkapellits - 20% ranged resist. Their default mode is a very short ranged attack, which does 2x vs pets (! rip spain) and hand shock infantry, which I think means pikes and halberds and things.
Hand Shock infantry are things like coyote runners, chimmus, rattan shield, tiger claws and shotel warriors. Basically cav but not cav.

so it only counter hand shock infantry, but not cav? i was confused bc usually any unit that counters shock infantry also counters cav, but ur right, shock means coyote etc. will edit
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

Squamiger wrote:
helln00 wrote:

so it only counter hand shock infantry, but not cav? i was confused bc usually any unit that counters shock infantry also counters cav, but ur right, shock means coyote etc. will edit
Yeah its a bit confusing, thats why I think its best to think of them like Meteor hammers, they are basically heavy cav ( I think they also have the heavy cav tag, which means they are countered by goon) that has range whose role is to provide DPS from the back in a cav composition. They are soft counters to other cav rather then hard counters. Their high melee attack means that they should also be providing DPS in melee as well.

Same to the Oromo Warrior and the Harquabusier.

You want to use them like how china has the Forbidden army, with tank cav or the Black Flag army, with melee infantry in the front while they go in the back
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

Nice work! I am sure a lot of ppl appreciate it.
Just some suggestions from my side:
USA owlhoot:could maybe mention that the special attack has a much shorter range (12 i think) so its important to keep distance even with skirms. Could also mention he has a range of 18 only in the Standard attack so skirms outrange.
Akobia: could mention they do area dmg on range so avoid clumping ur troops.
Corsair marksman: not 100% sure but i think that unit is hausa only (at least trainable)
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Thank you so much @Squamiger !
It's incredibly frustrating to encounter weird unit after weird unit with DLC civs racking up so fast that you have a hard time familiarizing yourself with previous ones.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

@giveuanxiety time to read up before your grand aoe3 return
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

Great post! Thank you!
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Squamiger wrote:
helln00 wrote:

they don't counter pets or coyote, it just cancels the random 0.5x vs hand inf that hakkas have. they do base damage to every unit except pike/halb/rajput/jpk units and also urumi for reasons. they're just solid dps output, although a bit fragile. i would also mention they actually clear up muskets pretty well at range, so you almost certainly need dragoons against them
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

i like to think that the role of hakkapellits is similar to meteor hammer - they provide dps while staying behind the actual hand cav(hussar) or melee inf (carolean) which is analogous to how meteors work in china composition. they are also more expensive and fragile (little hp) like meteors. but they have the added bonus of having a high (Uhlan-like) attack when switched melee.

huaracas trade about evenly with falcs, but good luck spotting them when youre playing against inca!

@Squamiger good post, you shoulda written the patch notes
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

harcha wrote:i like to think that the role of hakkapellits is similar to meteor hammer - they provide dps while staying behind the actual hand cav(hussar) or melee inf (carolean) which is analogous to how meteors work in china composition. they are also more expensive and fragile (little hp) like meteors. but they have the added bonus of having a high (Uhlan-like) attack when switched melee.

huaracas trade about evenly with falcs, but good luck spotting them when youre playing against inca!

@Squamiger good post, you shoulda written the patch notes
thanks for the tips, i updated the post.

idk, it's not that the info here is any better than on the wiki, I just like to have everything on one page so I don't have to click through links
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

does someone know how gatling camels work? are they in fact countered by culverins, like I suspect?
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

they are. theyre just 7.25 speed organ guns/gatling guns
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

they technically take a multi from both pikes and skirms but most of the time culverins or good goons are better vs gatling camels. heavy cav sorta works too
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

Hey!
Don't you mind if I translate it into Spanish for the boys?
Rainbow Land onfiregun17
Skirmisher
ESO: onfiregun17

Post by onfiregun17 »

Squamiger wrote:does someone know how gatling camels work? are they in fact countered by culverins, like I suspect?
Yeah culverins and dragoons counter them. If that doesn't work then alt-f4 seems to be a good back up plan.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

EliteRifleman wrote:Hey!
Don't you mind if I translate it into Spanish for the boys?
Si señor
Monaco redrocket
Musketeer

Post by redrocket »

Amazing post!
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:they technically take a multi from both pikes and skirms but most of the time culverins or good goons are better vs gatling camels. heavy cav sorta works too
I think there is a weird-ish interaction when it comes to most anti-artillery units. culvs have a 0.5 multi vs cav so they only deal x2 dmg to the camels.

The only unit that doesn't have the negative multi is the hand mortars, which deals the full damage vs the camels. they melt camels with the x6 multi.

Just realising this now but Siege elephants may need a buff vs the camels since they only deal x2.5 vs artillery and also have a x0.5 vs cav, so they will deal very little damage
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

helln00 wrote:
dansil92 wrote:they technically take a multi from both pikes and skirms but most of the time culverins or good goons are better vs gatling camels. heavy cav sorta works too
I think there is a weird-ish interaction when it comes to most anti-artillery units. culvs have a 0.5 multi vs cav so they only deal x2 dmg to the camels.

The only unit that doesn't have the negative multi is the hand mortars, which deals the full damage vs the camels. they melt camels with the x6 multi
iro light cannon maybe? arrow knights?
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

dansil92 wrote:
helln00 wrote:

The only unit that doesn't have the negative multi is the hand mortars, which deals the full damage vs the camels. they melt camels with the x6 multi
iro light cannon maybe? arrow knights?
checking and light cannons doesnt have the negative cav multi.

Arrow knight does actually do full damage though I think they might suffer since they also have the infantry tag, meaning they will get melted by the camels just charging in
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

Squamiger wrote: Bolas Warrior- It basically functions like a spammable Incan musketeer, with a short ranged attack that also snares enemy units at range (I think, unless this was removed?). 20% ranged resist. Has a slight multiplier vs. ranged cav, and a 2x multiplier against heavy cav. Does only 2/3rds base damage to all infantry units. Best way to counter is with skirmisher or artillery. Not sure how muskets trade vs. these, but I think they do pretty well.
Huaraca- Long ranged unit that sort of functions like an abus gun with better siege. 30% ranged resist. Does 40 siege damage at 20 range. Has a .50 negative bonus vs all cav and villagers, but no other multipliers. So it's good vs buildings, good vs. artillery, and good vs infantry units. Pretty strong. Best way to counter these is with hand cavalry I think, or anything that does melee damage. They trade fairly even vs. falconets as well but good luck picking them out in an Inca mass.
My contribution here is that the Bola Warrior against musk, most of the time it does not come out very well, because you forgot to warn that the Bola Warrior has an effect in the area. Therefore, if you fight them with musk, it is convenient to separate them to avoid unnecessary damage.
And the huaraca, most of the time it does well against skirmishes, but it is a very bad exchange imo. The amount of guerrilla that kills does not justify the amount of huaracas that are lost.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I would go into greater detail about desert infantry and desert archers
- desert infantry have range resist in range and meelee resist in meelee mode, great attack vs cav in meelee, good DPS in range with a 1.5rof and is a perfect unit to round of compositions with no heavy infantry musk in age 2 like ger/dut
- desert archers have a clunky 22 range bow attack which has some set up issues but with a 2x multipliers vs HI its like a longbowmen and a skirm had a baby. When enemies are within 16 range (or 18) they "switch" to a short bow, double rate of fire, great setup animation and all together has a greater damage out put vs infantry and cav. Desert archers seem to be a sleeper op in late brit mirrors i think due to available pop space and gold mines.