Public Update Preview - February Update

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Re: Public Update Preview - February Update

Post by aaryngend »

No more Schooners for Inca?!
a forum ghost wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2022, 21:49
Never heard of this Lake Victoria though, is a new map?
Yes, even says so in the text. The map comes with this update. It isn't present in the current live game.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

One AOE3 update = 5 AOE4 updates.

But sadly I didn't see any change to French. At least they can buff their Native builds a bit? Such as
--An age 1 shipment, send 2 native embassy travois, and allow you to Ally with Cree/Huron/another ally.
--French auto-upgrades their native units to elite when they reach age III.
--Move age 3 cheaper native units shipment to age 2, and combine with native unit combat. This shipment reduce 15% costs and give them 15% HP/attack.

Compared to Inca native builds, French native builds are nearly unplayable. Native units may be powerful in treaty/very late team games, but we should consider of 1v1 balance first.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

What exactly changed about Calmecac now ?
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

aaryngend wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2022, 09:01
It works just like US council/Hausa university tech now. Reduce the TOTAL upgrade time, not the LEFT time.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

This seems like a massive update. Many AI updates, which is awesome for the single player lovers. Sadly no multiplayer updates and still no friendlist improvements...

However, thanks devs!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

fei123456 wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2022, 10:58
aaryngend wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2022, 09:01
It works just like US council/Hausa university tech now. Reduce the TOTAL upgrade time, not the LEFT time.
It's a buff then right ?
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Netherlands Pedrownage
Crossbow
ESO: Pedro1989

Post by Pedrownage »

Great to see that devs are actively working on balance, bugs and AI, let's hope they also rework the UI (including friendlist)!
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Great to see the ongoing dev support. The unit alpha change might be good for some people, and being able to build from any angle sounds like a good quality of life change to reduce the infuriating pathing when trying to build something under pressure.

The balance changes sound interesting to me. Some good China cards, maybe there will be a few tweaks, but nothing that stands out as broken to me.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

People say flamethrower is a bad unit. When I pay China I never use them but almost half of new cards have Flamethrowers now. Wouldn't it be cool if they buff them a little? Short ranged siege units suck (Mantlets, Rams, Flamethrower, Huron Mantlet).
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

DNLgibraltar wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2022, 20:39
People say flamethrower is a bad unit. When I pay China I never use them but almost half of new cards have Flamethrowers now. Wouldn't it be cool if they buff them a little? Short ranged siege units suck (Mantlets, Rams, Flamethrower, Huron Mantlet).
it's not a bad unit tbh, it's actually pretty good
Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

flamethrowers are kinda like dopps or skull knights. A lot of the time they get kited and kinda don't do much, but if you get really good positioning and some good luck they are devastating units against infantry compositions
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

oh this isn't out yet

i just hopped on for some china practice
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

dansil92 wrote: ↑
21 Jan 2022, 21:31
flamethrowers are kinda like dopps or skull knights. A lot of the time they get kited and kinda don't do much, but if you get really good positioning and some good luck they are devastating units against infantry compositions
Which will always be a balance problem, as those units are a real threat at low levels but fall hard in effectiveness at the top of the ladder.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

When will this update be released?

As far as I know, this is the first time this is leaked so many days before release!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Post by EliteRifleman »

MCJim wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2022, 15:26

As far as I know, this is the first time this is leaked so many days before release!
Normally, on Tuesdays or Thursdays of the first week of the month.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

EliteRifleman wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2022, 15:32
MCJim wrote: ↑
22 Jan 2022, 15:26

Normally, on Tuesdays or Thursdays of the first week of the month.
I think this one might be right on the 1st of Feb since that is chinese new year and they are definitely releasing this patch to coincide with that week
Great Britain andrewgs
Musketeer

Post by andrewgs »

navajo riflemen need a speed reduction in stealth like the skirms, ideally remove the vil multiplier but I doubt they'll do that.

revolt and making falcs will be viable again with cheaper revolts.

cheaper skirms is quite a buff; I was expecting them to put the speed back to 4.5.

getting rid of the grenade throwing soldardos is nice too
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

"The changes to the Temple of Heaven are intended to address a prevalent gameplay issue in the Treaty game mode where it was possible to get well above the 99 Villager limit which contributed towards the Chinese civilization’s economy being more productive than felt fair"

idk i feel like late / treay game china units are just kinda weak / meh compared to other civs and the only thing that made china competitive in the super late game was having a stronger eco
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

"[NEW] Year of the Dragon (III): “Each Town Center will muster 1 Flamethrower and each Village will muster 1 Monitor Lizard, to your homecity spawn point.”"

lol this seems fun, idk if it will be good but having every villager spawn a monitor lizard might be a great way to shut down an enemy in your base, its almost like a CM pop. i wonder what happens if your villagers are garrisoned when the card comes in

EDIT NEVERMIND IT SAYS VILLAGE NOT VILLAGER inb4 the smarty pants
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

Fixed missing techs from Ethiopian tech trees
Fixed issues identified with Bahia, Savanna, and Unknown in the PUP
Fix for unit buttons not working properly when selecting multiple ships or buildings where one of them has garrisoned units
Fixed issue with Lake Victoria loading screen not showing the map of Africa
Balance adjustments to Ivory Coast, Lake Victoria, and Orinoco based on community feedback
Fixed Haudenosaunee War Hut's upgrade buttons being misaligned in "Battle of Queenston Heights"
Adjusted the "Granadero" Argentinian cavalry unit to have its range reduced as intended by the new balance changes
Elite Holcan Javelineer BL increases by 2 everytime a card is sent if a Trading post is build in a Native Settlement
Fixed issue with natives on Lake Victoria, adjusted some nuggets for balance based on PUP feedback
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

Brits nerf, manors cost 140 :wood: now

Dutch nerf, now food crate is 50 :food:
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

140 wood doesn't make a difference at all. As a boomy civ, Brit shouldn't age up as fast as Ottoman. -100 food start, and slightly buff longbow's anti-musket should work.
I'd prefer making longbow 16 attack and 1.5* multiplier, while crossbow has 17 base attack. Longbow base range could be set to 20-21, and Yeoman gives it 26 range and 10% HP/attack buff.
British 900 food age up is also TOO dumb. At least it should give a tower wagon (perhaps an arsenal wagon too).

As for French, they should have auto-upgrade their native units to elite when reaching fortress. This could make their native builds a bit better (at least give French something unique), while doesn't influence late game and treaty games.
Move age I team native combat to age II, giving 10% team bonus, and 15% to French itself. Set a new age I shipment, send a native embassy travois and allow you to ally with Cree and Huron (the same to Inca). In this way if you get some XP shipments you can send 3 courier and followed by this, and train 5 Cree couriers as a boomy choice; or rather build 2 more native TPs for an early timing.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon

Post by EliteRifleman »

Nerfed
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

fei123456 wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2022, 03:07
140 wood doesn't make a difference at all. As a boomy civ, Brit shouldn't age up as fast as Ottoman. -100 food start, and slightly buff longbow's anti-musket should work.
I'd prefer making longbow 16 attack and 1.5* multiplier, while crossbow has 17 base attack. Longbow base range could be set to 20-21, and Yeoman gives it 26 range and 10% HP/attack buff.
British 900 food age up is also TOO dumb. At least it should give a tower wagon (perhaps an arsenal wagon too).

As for French, they should have auto-upgrade their native units to elite when reaching fortress. This could make their native builds a bit better (at least give French something unique), while don't influence late game and treaty games.
Move age I team native combat to age II, giving 10% team bonus, and 15% to French itself. Set a new age I shipment, send a native embassy travois and allow you to ally with Cree and Huron (the same to Inca). In this way if you get some XP shipments you can send 3 courier and followed by this, and train 5 Cree couriers as a boomy choice; or rather build 2 more native TPs for an early timing.
These ideas seem very bad for balance.
Image Image Image
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

EliteRifleman wrote: ↑
25 Jan 2022, 02:31

Brits nerf, manors cost 140 :wood: now
A 100 extra wood to complete the manor boom (without vc). That's merely a tickle for brits. Still OP.