new game mode - age 2/3 lock

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

new game mode - age 2/3 lock

Post by Squamiger »

Was talking to @dansil92 about this. In DE you can lock the max age as anything you want. I think it would be a fun game mode, and fun to see what new meta evolves when you cant get past age 2 or 3. I know Aiz did an age 2 only challenge like this, but it was against opponents who could do whatever they wanted.

I also think this game mode would be especially fun in FFA, where it would possibly prevent some of the things that make FFA unfun-- people just booming super hard to imperial with all the late game cards. There should be a FFA mode where you can disable walls too imo

What civs would be top in an age 2 lock meta? An age 3 lock meta?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: new game mode - age 2/3 lock

Post by fei123456 »

India, Japan, Hausa, Brit, French (age 2 skirm), Russia.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Age 3 meta would be basically the same as in classical supremacy, except for some weird new civs like Mexico. I guess Ports and Japs would be nerfed too - ports can not win some MUs without going 4.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Locking the game in age 3 seems bad. Bastion wall is the strongest unit in that age...
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Germany AndiAOE
Skirmisher
ESO: mk8by8bcity

Post by AndiAOE »

no mortars to break heavy camping too
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I really like the idea of locking the game age 3. Just sad that harcha is right with bastion walls being quite overpowered in that case. However, it would force interesting choices for all civs whose age-up process is accompanied by more than getting a crate. Locking the game in age 3 means that you only have two age-ups. That means e.g. Japan has to make careful decisions regarding wonders.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

AndiAOE wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 08:40
no mortars to break heavy camping too
It would force the usage of that card that unlocks mortar for euro civs
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 06:31
There should be a FFA mode where you can disable walls too imo
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Bastion should be removed entirely, and its effect split between two successive upgrades, one in age 3 and one in age 4. Also the wall should be low and wide rather than tall and thin.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Talking about that is there any hints about the new mode?
I hope they add interesting modes because so far the latest additions are either a hit or a miss with AOE3 (co-op should have been part of the game long ago but Empire Wars is ridiculous).

A "random deck"/ "random civs" mode or a mode without several staple cards would be fun.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: νŒ€ ν•˜μš°μŠ€

Post by n0el »

DNLgibraltar wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 14:04
I hope they add interesting modes because so far the latest additions are either a hit or a miss with AOE3 (co-op should have been part of the game long ago but Empire Wars is ridiculous).

A "random deck"/ "random civs" mode or a mode without several staple cards would be fun.
@EAGLEMUT
mad cuz bad
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

n0el wrote:
DNLgibraltar wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 14:04

@EAGLEMUT
Yeah I guess I can talk about this since it's been leaked on official discord anyway...
The new mode is called Economy Mode and it's something like a "time to macro" kind of idea. Quote from the game files:
Economy mode: Players are in a race to obtain the highest score in economy. To win this game mode focus on: building up your economy by training units and build buildings. Collect resources, progress in age and improve your technologies. You can also complete Economy Challenges to boost your score.
There are several challenges that can boost your score such as "First to gather 2,000 food."
Use of military is possible but heavily discouraged by a military pop limit and constant hp degeneration of all military units.
Of course the mode is still not finished so things may change before release.

It seems to me this mode could be quite popular even amongst the casual side of playerbase. Personally, I'm excited about it and ready to prove I'm the best boomer.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

fei123456 wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 06:52
India, Japan, Hausa, Brit, French (age 2 skirm), Russia.
I would add china to this list. age 2 factory wonder, actual siege weapon, and age 2 goons which although are not fantastic, they are very cost effective once mongolian scourge is sent. also they dont need "advanced estates" to get infinite coin age 2. 220 pop and disciples too

i actually think japan would be near bottom tier with just one wonder. cant use daymios without shogunate, permanerf units without pavillion, awful eco without shrine.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

Don't kid yourself, Japan would be excellent in any such situation. You don't need multiple wonders to get upgraded units.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

harcha wrote: ↑
15 Feb 2022, 22:14
Don't kid yourself, Japan would be excellent in any such situation. You don't need multiple wonders to get upgraded units.
idk honestly, 40 minutes of age 2 play on rice paddies and most of your shrines stuck back at home and no daimyio and limited wood access i dont think they'd be doing so hot. i could be wrong of course but it doesn't strike me as a civ that would stand up, not the way brits or india would
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

would spain with unction and aztec with age 2 jpk be pretty good?

I dont think there are many comps that can deal with jpk in age 2
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

helln00 wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2022, 01:56
would spain with unction and aztec with age 2 jpk be pretty good?

I dont think there are many comps that can deal with jpk in age 2
spain would indeed be quite capable, advanced arsenal + muskets + 2 carded hussars + unction would be highly potent. alternatively the bow pike with archaic train time would be interesting.

jpk with mace would be magnificent

dutch with logistician might be really crazy strong too
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

dansil92 wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2022, 00:56
idk honestly, 40 minutes of age 2 play on rice paddies and most of your shrines stuck back at home and no daimyio and limited wood access i dont think they'd be doing so hot. i could be wrong of course but it doesn't strike me as a civ that would stand up, not the way brits or india would
As long as you take even engagements, your infantry should come out ahead due to the superior quality. The 2x orchards should outlast any hunting from opponent (maybe with the exception of Dutch/India) so you're also ahead in that front. And age 2 units are not as good at sieging your shrines because they have lower siege than age 3 stuffs.

I guess Brits could be better still, but it's closer than in a normal game because Brits really like their falc push. I think India wouldn't be a problem as normally this MU is even, but without mahout/urumi pops it should be a bit better for Japan.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

16 Feb 2022, 07:09
16 Feb 2022, 00:56
As long as you take even engagements, your infantry should come out ahead due to the superior quality. The 2x orchards should outlast any hunting from opponent (maybe with the exception of Dutch/India) so you're also ahead in that front. And age 2 units are not as good at sieging your shrines because they have lower siege than age 3 stuffs.

I guess Brits could be better still, but it's closer than in a normal game because Brits really like their falc push. I think India wouldn't be a problem as normally this MU is even, but without mahout/urumi pops it should be a bit better for Japan.
i dont think you're quite grasping what im talking about here. im meaning like 45 minutes or more into a game where everyone only has age 2 cards, berries have long since run out, etc. france will have wilderness warfare, flint lock, paper cartridge, military drummers on their skirms (early skirms) and muskets (bayonet, flint, paper, drummer) , and double carded hussars with cuirass and pillage. brits would have arsenal and double card musk/gren/huss. nagi would feel paper thin at that point and yumi would never have more that their 100 base hp and 1 card.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

16 Feb 2022, 18:46
16 Feb 2022, 07:09
Show hidden quotes

i dont think you're quite grasping what im talking about here. im meaning like 45 minutes or more into a game where everyone only has age 2 cards, berries have long since run out, etc. france will have wilderness warfare, flint lock, paper cartridge, military drummers on their skirms (early skirms) and muskets (bayonet, flint, paper, drummer) , and double carded hussars with cuirass and pillage. brits would have arsenal and double card musk/gren/huss. nagi would feel paper thin at that point and yumi would never have more that their 100 base hp and 1 card.
You're not supposed to play TR40 with Japan, you're supposed to tech and kill the enemy. You have a good window to kill France with the advantages that Japan has before what you described comes around.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

the question was "what civ has the ultimate late age 2 potential" not "what civ in a 1v1 is best in age 2"
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

nah, the question is
What civs would be top in an age 2 lock meta? An age 3 lock meta?
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i just won an age 2 ffa as hauds, just cow boomed and sent wood chopping cards and didn't have to worry about coin at all. not having great siege is fine when theres no bastion walls, plus i get the meme explorer siege card
No Flag helln00
Howdah

Post by helln00 »

haud get triple carded infantry in age 2 so they will probably be pretty good