I don't understand the thought process on Huaracas

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Monaco redrocket
Musketeer

I don't understand the thought process on Huaracas

Post by redrocket »

I don't understand how Huaracas are suppose to kill artillery in the late game they have 20 range dude.
Imagine killing bombards and heavy cannons with a mass of skirmishers shooting at you with 20 range worse abusguns.
I know people hate inca but if you can remain neutral and mature and just think about it in terms of balance for the game, you can maybe understand that this doesn't make sense

This civ design generally seems all over the place, it's like every game you have to do some gimmick stuff to win.

Like I think they should make huaracas actually do they're job vs cannons instead of being this weird op age 3 timing unit.

And don't say chimu are what inca needs vs artillery because even Aztec have arrow knights because melee cav is not effective to kill artillery 99% of the game.
Like sure arrow knights and fotress would be overpowered but this fotress bargain seems trash in the late game.
realistically, how would I ever kill 40 range mortars or siege elephants, hand mortars? Heavy artillery that outrange the fotress.
Like 20 range dude???? A mortar has 40 range.

The huaracas will be walking towards a artillery while already get outranged and taking volley from the artillery itself and every other unit that surrounds it and they have slower rate of fire with a setup and animation, they will legit die before they touch the artillery.

But yeah great I have a fotress which can garisson units inside of it, i'd legit rather have huaracas that can counter cannons than a fotress to be honest.
Argentina EliteRifleman
Dragoon
ESO: EliteRifleman
Clan: SpNz

Re: I don't understand the thought process on Huaracas

Post by EliteRifleman »

They need armor vs. siege, and maybe, in industrial, a little more range. The unit is poorly designed tbh. It should be an AK and it is an abus gun.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

redrocket wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:38
This civ design generally seems all over the place, it's like every game you have to do some gimmick stuff to win.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

They're more useful vs HI and even skirms.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Isnt their range in industrial more than 20?
Anyway I think you can still play around that weakness, afetrall all other Inca units are usually better than the counterpart. It seems more of a problem in treaty, but treaty is dumb so...

That said they could totally make it like arrow knights, people would also stop bitching about the unit.
Image Image Image
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

i think the unit is a failure in design, truly. they dont even take half damage from arty like arrow knights secretly do. Huaraca are wayyy too strong vs infantry. Arrow knights kinda work because they're more culv focused. They also use a bow instead of yeeting a rock so long range siege looks far less cheesy. I think huaraca should have been more of a grenadier style unit and inca should just get (uncardable) light cannons age 4
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Just copy paste an arrow knights stats and everyone is happy
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Let Incas train light cannons from plaza in age IV. There's no need to train mace men: they're trainable units instead of skull knights.

I would set Huaraca as a ballista-type unit (AOE2): they throw stone straight forward, dealing damage to all enemies in the route. There're many AOE-damage units in AOE3, but there's no ballista.

Aztec arrow knight isn't a successful design either: you can't counter them with cannons. With falconets/culverins he who micro better will win the battle, but there's nothing to do against arrow knights. They just deny the option of cannons, forcing you to spam skirms.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

literally everything else that moves kinda soft counters arrow knights. even grenadiers beat arrow knights
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

tee bee aych I think every civ getting mortars in age 4 would solve a lot of problems, lock it behind a tech or something if it's too problematic for some
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Do inca not get 4 light cannons once in age 4 btw? As a fort bb?
Monaco redrocket
Musketeer

Post by redrocket »

Inca have one time 4 light cannons at fotress BB for 1500coin in age 4, maybe can play around that but doesn't seem like reasonable solution, 4 light range cannons for an entire game.
Maybe make huaracas less of this op skirmisher unit and give huaracas worse arrow knight stats and disallow them to go into the fotress.
Or let them train capture culverins that cannot be upgraded to culverin royale, something along those lines.
I'm not saying give inca the easiest time to counter artillery but give them at least something
Huaracas get extra range from their upgrade tech in age 4, it's +2 extra range which I personally think is very pathetic because with 4 movement speed and 3.50 rate they are just painful vs artillery.
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

I think what you wanna do is combine huaracas with stealth chimus perhaps?
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

huaraca go boom boom hehehe

pretty sure that's the thought process
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

redrocket wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 22:38
But yeah great I have a fotress which can garisson units inside of it, i'd legit rather have huaracas that can counter cannons than a fotress to be honest.
Lol, no you would not. The garrison mechanic is absolutely busted.
Besides I think inca can deal with cannons just fine by just smashing their obnoxious mass of dumb units in.

But anyway, yes, huaracas aren't meant to be that dumb unit we have now, but should rather be some kind of arrow knight.
Inca won't ever be balanced nor well designed, so might as well delete this piece of shit of a civ already, only way to fix it.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..