Feedback on the UEC Tournament Rules

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Feedback on the UEC Tournament Rules

Post by Mitoe »

I'd just like to preface this post by saying I didn't really read the other thread, and am creating a new thread to hopefully avoid some of the negativity there and focus on some constructive criticism about the tournament rules.

----------

I am grateful that some people in the community are willing to dedicate their free time and money to events considering the inactivity of the majority of the ESOC team at the moment. Really, thank you for going out of your way to put together this event. Even though I lost, I really enjoyed it.

As for my feedback:

Maps

Most players will likely disagree with me, but personally I think the map pool was mostly fine. I think having diverse map pools is important. From a viewer's point of view, seeing too many maps with a lot of similarities is not very interesting. The most competitive maps give players flexibility in which kinds of strategies they can go for. Maps like Baja California and Central Plains are great examples of this.

Baja California forces you to think about both sides of the water, a high impact trading route, and food scarcity in your base that can be compensated by fish or strategic wall points near the cliffs and native posts.

Central Plains gives you a lot of resources to work with but also forces you to leave your base to contest the trade line. Map control can be difficult to acquire because the trading route and cliffs prevent you from dropping a building in the dead center, which usually means one side of the map is less controlled than the other; this way the game can continue even when one player controls a large portion of the resources.

The one thing I will say is to avoid extreme maps in the future. Niger Delta, for example, is a great map in terms of forcing players to think differently about how they approach the game. However, the number of viable playstyles is limited and exposes 2 major problems:

1) Balance is not there yet when it comes to the majority of civilizations being viable on certain map types.

Niger Delta heavily restricts the number of civilizations that can be played to ones that can make use of the pond most effectively. This results in different gameplay but also less civ diversity, which leads to unfair advantages for the players who can play those civilizations comfortably.

I think New England sits close to the line of fair or unfair in this regard because there are 2 ponds (need ships in both to control a lot of the map), they are mostly out of range of the Trading Posts, and there is just generally more space for military engagements. Niger Delta, on the other hand, crosses into imbalanced territory because mobility is so limited and the pond controls too much of the map.

Balance has improved a lot, but each map needs to be evaluated in terms of how many civilizations can be played.

2) AoE3 is too small to support full time players, so maps that require a lot of practice are going to be less fun and produce lower quality games.

Some maps are simply too different from the norm, and that means that you will end up with a lot of one-sided games because some people have time to practice them while others do not. This is not always as much fun to play or to watch because one player will usually get stomped due to lack of practice or familiarity.

Rules

The rules are mostly fine; however I think that having a civilization reset is tough when more work needs to be done to balance some civilizations or strategies. This can result in 1 strategy becoming too dominant and granting 2 wins per series. I think it would be best to restrict civilization usage a bit more in the future until the community has more confidence in civilization balance. 1 win per civ or 1 game per civ are both good ways to do this.

Seeding

My seed was not the greatest, which is fair considering my inactivity, but it would be nice if previous tournament results are partially taken into account to avoid situations where a talented player like Ungurs has to play against someone like me who’s a bit underrated on the ladder for his actual skill level so early in the tournament.

Thanks πŸ™‚
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Re: Feedback on the UEC Tournament Rules

Post by Mitoe »

I had no idea the smiley face was going to be that big, but I'm going to keep it.
China Nightingale
Crossbow

Post by Nightingale »

I'm jealous of AOE2 community that they have so many full-time professional players.
Always exciting to watch them playing diverse maps and rules ( islands, arena, nomad mode, empire war mode, etc.
while most AOE3 players only good at a few strats
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Mitoe wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 00:38
I had no idea the smiley face was going to be that big, but I'm going to keep it.
I found out when I put 144 flags in my signature and chris got mad at me.

πŸ‡³πŸ‡±
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Mitoe president !

Nice to see interesting feedback can be given politely.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Mr_Bramboy wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 07:46

πŸ‡³πŸ‡±
Just 144?
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

There is a 255 character limit. I have to be selective about which dumb quotes I add to the sig.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

harcha wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 09:46
There is a 255 character limit. I have to be selective about which dumb quotes I add to the sig.
Then add dumb posts to the signature. Why have you added some of the best posts ever made to the signature?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

Mr_Bramboy wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 07:46

πŸ‡³πŸ‡±
looking into it, given how all country(and not in case of XK) flag emojis count as two characters, it seems unlikely that you would be able to put 144 of them unless some flags involve only one char
Retired Contributor

Shinkuro praise to your balls human. Despite bram making clear you have the courage to invite a potential ban or warning. Praise
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

princeofcarthage wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 10:06
Shinkuro praise to your balls human. Despite bram making clear you have the courage to invite a potential ban or warning. Praise
I also found what the issue is with the emoji being gigantic, and forwarded to the ESOC team with proposed solutions. Let's consider it a last hurrah if anything :D
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

26 Apr 2022, 09:48
Then add dumb posts to the signature. Why have you added some of the best posts ever made to the signature?
Another dumb post. Unfortunately no space left, you've made too many.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Retired Contributor

ShinkuroYukinari wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 10:27
I also found what the issue is with the emoji being gigantic, and forwarded to the ESOC team with proposed solutions. Let's consider it a last hurrah if anything :D
Why would you do something so controversial. People LOVE Jumbo emoji's. Anyways what was the issue.
Retired Contributor

26 Apr 2022, 10:28
26 Apr 2022, 09:48
As already established, your opinions are irrelevant given your blatant lack of historical knowledge and brainwashing. If anything your opinions most of the time indicate the alternate reality.
:P
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon

ShinkuroYukinari wrote: ↑
26 Apr 2022, 10:27
Why would you do something so controversial. People LOVE Jumbo emoji's. Anyways what was the issue.
In short, generic emoji(such as flags, this doesn't include smilies) here are displayed as IMG elements, and images are obtained from an external website that has them gigantic. Here is the link to yours.

https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/svg/1f1f2-1f1fc.svg

There are various ways to solve it, like using a different link that doesnt have em gigantic, or just relying on the UNICODE(or similar) characters for emojis instead of external images.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

26 Apr 2022, 10:30
Show hidden quotes
As already established, your opinions are irrelevant given your blatant lack of historical knowledge and brainwashing. If anything your opinions most of the time indicate the alternate reality.
:P
Says the guy who (as already established) doesn't know the effects of Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. You might be reading too much Sputnik News to arrive to the conclusion that everyone except you lives in an alternate reality.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »