Team Ranked makes no sense

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: Team Ranked makes no sense

Post by Dolan »

Team ranked matchmaking is out of whack even in the most played games. It's a trade-off between how many are close to your rank, how to compensate for adding a slightly higher rank in one team, how many had a losing/winning streak (you need to punish winning streaks to prevent too fast climbing), and not making the matching take too long.
Apply this to a game played by 1000 players and the range of available matchings vanishes once you reach any third parameter.
So they have to dial down the strictness of these params to get a matching eventually.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Dolan wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 21:43
Team ranked matchmaking is out of whack even in the most played games. It's a trade-off between how many are close to your rank, how to compensate for adding a slightly higher rank in one team, how many had a losing/winning streak (you need to punish winning streaks to prevent too fast climbing), and not making the matching take too long.
Apply this to a game played by 1000 players and the range of available matchings vanishes once you reach any third parameter.
So they have to dial down the strictness of these params to get a matching eventually.
The algorithm doesn't even try to even out the matchups in the slightest. The 3v3 i played today had myself at 1560 elo, a teammate around 1400 and another one around 1500, versing a 2k elo player and 2 premades(assuming due to clan tag), 1800 and 2000 elo respectively. How does the algorithm not separate the 2k and premades instead of dooming the game from the start :sad:

And let's not forget the absolute gem of having 2400 elo premades on my team versus newbies and sub 900 elo players that i posted in this thread.

I agree that the lack of players makes matchmaking hard, but stuff like this should not be a thing at all...
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

It's a joke that DE released without ranked lobbies for team. Is it still not in there?
gibson wrote:
02 May 2022, 20:48
It’s not that it’s designed for 1v1, it works well for team if there’s a larger player base.
There isn't and they would've known that when they were designing it
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Post by Don Nameless »

Same story every day, I hope in the famous spring update they wake up and do something about quick search or put ranked lobbies if they don't want to see the graveyard in team games
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

It's the same for aoe3 and aoe4. team games and that format is uncared for, leading to a reduced playerbase. compounding the problem further. team should be soloq only with ranked lobbies for premade teams
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

I recently made a thread on the official forums regarding this topic. If you want to give your input and help make team games great again, feel free to join in!
https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/team- ... ess/224148
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!