how good is hausas eco?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Monaco redrocket
Musketeer

how good is hausas eco?

Post by redrocket »

till this day I fully don't know how good hausas eco is
can someone help me understand, how good hausas eco is.. maybe early game, mid game + late game etc

if anyone higher lvl in suprmacy,team or in treatry has played enough hausa to know this let me know, i'm curious..

also for anyone interested a tierlist to rank them

https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: how good is hausas eco?

Post by Garja »

Eco is an ambiguous word. Most of times people consider the resource income but that's only part of the eco of a civ. Also the simple res line can be misleading because some civs have to invest more than others for that (e.g. Dutch) and it can be inflated due to a civ gathering mostly food, or having access to meta resources (exports and influence) which are only partially usable.
I'd say eco should consider the res income but also shipments and other free stuff. Also the cost efficiency of units can be assimilated to the eco potential of a civ, as long as it's a MU where there is inevitable and active interaction between armies.

In that sense, Hausa eco is fairly decent in 1v1. Cattle provides a (limited) eco boost like stagecoach does, and the free influence (the one automatically generated by cattle) can sometimes be used for marginal stuff like minutemen or an university tech eventually in the game.
Regarding specific eco boom strats, Hausa don't have too many options. Standard play with standard units generally just relies on the 4v shipment, plus crates and cattle trading. Influence play (tp+university) better resemble a real eco boom but can only be used to train specific units or get specific techs. There is also the berber vill card option but, again, it has to synergize d with other stuff or it is too much of an investment.

As for lategame I don't exactly know how good the field ups actually are. They might be better than the euro ups for mills and plants, to compensate for the lack of factories, but I'm not sure. The card to get a wood trickle from fields should be worth about 7v or so (less thana factory) when everything is maxed out. Influence trickle from university and cattle can be used for artillery in lategame so that's a nice boost.

I'd say overall Hausa eco is similar to the Haude one. More or less same booming curve plus they usually reach late game with a bunch of techs that give resource boosts. Unit ups are slightly cheaper than standard 200w 200g and the unit power usually makes for better than average trades.
Image Image Image
China Nightingale
Crossbow

Post by Nightingale »

If you sell a cattle per 100 second, starting from 6:00, you could get 350 wood/gold per 100s in the last 15 minutes
350 wood/350 gold ≈ 600 vs, 600vs / 100s = 6 villagers
And plus the influence income, the livestock market provide you with 6-7 free villagers from 6:00

Just a rough estimate
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

A cattle can be roughly counted as a villager. Hausa=India.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

One cattle unit is definetely not as good as a villager. Nightingale math sounds about right, but that's only if you wait until 6min to trade a cattle unit and then wait 100 seconds every time. That's not realistic and even tho spending cattle earlier on nets other benefits (e.g. food upgrade or a TP) it's not exactly clear how good cattle is compared to villagers simply because they work in quite a different way.
I think cattle is more comparable to stagecoach and from my experience early on (between 5 and 15 minutes) for Hausa it is worth something between one and two stagecoached TPs. Eventually cattle value increases as there is less need to trade and animals have more time to fatten.
From a strategic point of view cattle is comparable to Sioux no house bonus or Otto free vills.
Image Image Image
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

Garja wrote:
08 May 2022, 14:03
One cattle unit is definetely not as good as a villager. Nightingale math sounds about right, but that's only if you wait until 6min to trade a cattle unit and then wait 100 seconds every time. That's not realistic and even tho spending cattle earlier on nets other benefits (e.g. food upgrade or a TP) it's not exactly clear how good cattle is compared to villagers simply because they work in quite a different way.
I think cattle is more comparable to stagecoach and from my experience early on (between 5 and 15 minutes) for Hausa it is worth something between one and two stagecoached TPs. Eventually cattle value increases as there is less need to trade and animals have more time to fatten.
From a strategic point of view cattle is comparable to Sioux no house bonus or Otto free vills.
A cattle has tiny influence trickle. Also, can a settler gather 500 resource in 6 minutes? Cattle doesn't offer constant resource flow, but its relative efficiency is much higher than one settler.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ask yourself: would you rather have a villager for each shipment or a cattle unit?
Image Image Image
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

Garja wrote:
08 May 2022, 20:54
Ask yourself: would you rather have a villager for each shipment or a cattle unit?
If I'm playing Hausa, cattle>villager.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I'd still rather have the India bonus with Hausa
Image Image Image
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Garja wrote:
08 May 2022, 23:13
I'd still rather have the India bonus with Hausa
then you also would have slower shipments
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ye that's true, and it goes to show that the villager bonus is better.
Image Image Image
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

Imo a fully fattened cattle with the age 3 influence tech is pretty close to a vill just for the influence trickle alone. If u just sell them for res I agree that its pretty hard to compare to a standard eco. All i can say from experience is that on a decent map i can keep up with most civs expect the really boomy ones (brit for example). That combined with still having one of the strongest armies in the game (imo ofc) usually works out pretty well for Hausa ^^