When will they support better spectator mod?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

When will they support better spectator mod?

Post by iamgaming »

How can whole DE developers be way less competant than sole Aiz?

Also why does only AoE3, unlike 2 and 4, not show minimap before the game starts and why should I study whether the map has TP or not?
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Re: When will they support better spectator mod?

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

RTFM(ap)
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

It's not a matter of competence, it is a matter of priorities. How much revenue do you think competitive aoe3 brings in?
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

I agree, mostly that. This isn't a matter of greed or maximizing profits either; the developers are people doing a job and need to get paid.
To be honest I'm surprised at the amount of content and regular support they're able to put out, I would have thought the revenue wouldn't be enough to cover all that. Or perhaps they're subsidized by revenue from other products or the parent company.

Another thing to keep in mind is that building something professionally is significantly more work than doing it as a fan project. The fan project just needs to work in the majority of use cases, it can be clunky, have a complicated installation process, and fail every once in a while.
From a professional product, people expect something that works out of the box, is easy to use, and robust for all the weird edge cases people will come up with. If something breaks users will expect a fix, whereas with a fan project they're more likely to be grateful for what they have and accept that it has its quirks. So building this kind of thing is not a one-time effort, it needs ongoing support and regular testing to make sure it keeps working.
No Flag iamgaming
Musketeer

Post by iamgaming »

Nowadays, players become more and more dumb as time goes on and they come to the point where they care nothing about how a content is completed or polished as long as it is tagged as BETA or whatever. De Dev can add extremely rough speculation mod as official mod(not base game) named something like “Speculation mod - beta”.