Evolution of Automatic Mechanics in Age of Empires Three

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Evolution of Automatic Mechanics in Age of Empires Three

Post by callentournies »

Lots on the lobes.

In 2015 I started playing age of empires three on pee see eee ess online, the first since a global macintosh operating system update nuked gameranger ~2011. I was a french main. On mac fp 1.2a was the fp. On eee ess online I became brit main lusting over aiz and giveuanxiety gameplay. I printed out images of buildings cut them up and taped them to keyboard keys because the british civilization was hard, is hard. It's manually driven and I was smelling clutch.

I improved / somewhat but gears got shot. I explored... alternatives.

China was the obvious answer (fuck this civ). Raphael lost ezly. It felt good letting the game win for me.

Competence by constructing villagers is false. I banked on that statement's truth value going into DE, making quadruple tee sees, never hitting vee and hitting 99 vees.

I learnt halbs. I learnt banks make coin macro for you. Make a bank making automatic macro gives xp to send speedy halb card making automatic micro. Suddenly brit and lakota were impossible MUs vs pure halbs. Shrines make coin or food or wood macro for you. Swedish torps could make all res macro at once for you. It was... my own industrial revolution! There was a loss of art at the old ways / but / who cared. There was money Elo to be made. Only honorable gamers like crabgot held fast to tradition, considered the ramifications / ridiculed.

Machines make machines that don't stop. You started this hungry for pixel points. The beast has accrued existential momentum.

It was just in jest joking about automatic slash manual macro and micro. Of course it wasn't really automatic and manual, and never would be. Couldn't be! It was old purists hyperbolzing an end of times, salty losers.

May 26, 2022. Microsoft division releases Knights of the Mediterranean, downloadable content for Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties, Definitive Edition. We were warned and now it's too late.
automaticmacro.png
automaticmicro.jpg
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Re: Evolution of Automatic Mechanics in Age of Empires Three

Post by dansil92 »

now we just need vills that autoherd and explorers that scout automatically and we'll be that much closer to being non-sentient gamers
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

dansil92 wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:06
now we just need vills that autoherd and explorers that scout automatically and we'll be that much closer to being non-sentient gamers
You can already scout automatically, and fishing boats now fish automatically too.

No Flag DragonFruit
Crossbow

Post by DragonFruit »

dansil92 wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:06
granary is almost like auto herding
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I wonder how well this card works, anyone tested it?
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

This is actually interesting. I think all these changes shows that the game has been dumbed down and it's less competitive every day that pass.
Image Image Image
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:32
From my experience, it doesn't
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

They very clearly don't care about the game being competitive at all. Maybe they never cared. Or maybe they tried to care but failed miserably because they never really got rid of bugs nor balanced properly, and now they realized their only option is focusing on pleasing casual players.
yoqpasa wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:24
You can already scout automatically, and fishing boats now fish automatically too.
I guess by scouting automatically you meant that new maphack card. What do you mean about boats? Do they auto task to fish now?
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Imagine adding such an ambitious "mechanic" when you can't even make attack move work properly
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

original automatic mechanic was best one but people hated was nice ease of access on original tad map where your starting hunt didn't herd. Now you always have to herd it on any tad map on de. Original devs knew what they were doing.
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

oh yes, how could I forget the maphack card

or the retroactive treasure doubling. or the tank. or teleport buildings. I know the units and eco on these new civs are largely nothing special, but the absolute disregard for any existing dedicated decent players is weighing on me. I've never been a top player, never will now. I can't bring myself to cue up on quicksearch with these new civs haunting the ladder.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

dansil92 wrote:
29 May 2022, 21:52

or the retroactive treasure doubling. or the tank. or teleport buildings. I know the units and eco on these new civs are largely nothing special, but the absolute disregard for any existing dedicated decent players is weighing on me. I've never been a top player, never will now. I can't bring myself to cue up on quicksearch with these new civs haunting the ladder.
That's exactly how I feel about quicksearch since TWC civs were added. God, I hate Iro so much.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

dansil92 wrote:
29 May 2022, 21:52

Cmon, it's not that bad. Compared to on-release Hausa and Ethiopia these civs are actually fairly balanced(excluding maxed out fire throwers)

Seriously, who the fuck thought giving a siege unit 22 range, letting it destroy skirms and musks with ease was a good idea?
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Yeah like I said in another thread, the dlcs are great for the casual player just looking for more content. I think they're probably good dlc

But they torpedo the game's competitive scene because the game is now a) gimmicky and b) imba.

Makes me sad but such is the way of life
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

Imagine if attack move never existed, could only fire manually. And then they added it top kek
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

On that note, back in the days there were some tryhard advocating for actually removing atk move. It's funny how things have changed since then.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I’ve always thought attack move shouldn’t be in the game and it actually makes me happy when it messes up and people cry.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

gibson wrote:
30 May 2022, 16:07
I’ve always thought attack move shouldn’t be in the game
why ?
Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

automatic micro= bad
United States of America alistairpeter
Dragoon
ESO: alistairpeter

Post by alistairpeter »

if people are always going to attack move, will sending a weak unit in front absorb it? or do they automatically move on to next target without clicking attack move again?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

gibson wrote:
30 May 2022, 16:07
I’ve always thought attack move shouldn’t be in the game and it actually makes me happy when it messes up and people cry.
I'd enjoy the game more without attack move too, but it's just too good to not be used. Of course everyone is gonna use it and of course complaining about it being buggy is totally valid.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

idk i think you kinda need attack move for melee units otherwise they would path horribly (more than they do already).
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Obstruction radius on units would just have to be made so small it was essentially removed
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

Kaiserklein wrote:
29 May 2022, 21:29
They very clearly don't care about the game being competitive at all. Maybe they never cared. Or maybe they tried to care but failed miserably because they never really got rid of bugs nor balanced properly, and now they realized their only option is focusing on pleasing casual players.
yoqpasa wrote:
29 May 2022, 17:24
I guess by scouting automatically you meant that new maphack card. What do you mean about boats? Do they auto task to fish now?
EAGLEMUT wrote:
Imagine adding such an ambitious "mechanic" when you can't even make attack move work properly
I meant this auto-scouting which has been around for a while.

They fish automatically now yeah.

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Lmao I didn't even know about that auto scouting. How much time do they invest into this sort of stupid shit instead of fixing the game...
And fishing boats lol. What next, idle vils auto tasking to the closest resource? That's the same thing after all right?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

autoscout is there since release
Kaiserklein wrote:
30 May 2022, 19:56
What next, idle vils auto tasking to the closest resource? That's the same thing after all right?
Why do you think vills go midmap?
Image Image Image