Malta Civ Discussion

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America Zeus
Crossbow

Malta Civ Discussion

Post by Zeus »

I understand the civ is still being explored but some of the things to point out are as follows:

1. Sentinels- one of Malta unique units. Biggest downside is that they are worth 2 pop. Where as soldado are worth 2 pop and don't have the bonus of increase stats near buildings and yet they are much stronger Stat wise. Ashigarus are worth 1 pop and they are stronger than sentinels. (IMO, they shouldn't be worth the 2 pop).

2.Tongue cards are way to costly for supremacy games, they don't benefit from Malta civ bonus and cost more than the original counterpart they represent, and are weaker as well. No upgrades whatsoever for the units you receive except that they shadow tech.

3. Fire throwers cost 2 pop. Start with a few extra hp than crossbows but DONT benefit from Malta civ bonus which is the 2% buff with every card. Even though they feel like a "Malta unit"..

Overall, Malta feels on the weaker side due to pop heavy units and tongue cards being too overpriced, seen as well how some "Pros" disagree with the cost of them, especially the German one in age 1 (500 wood)
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Re: Malta Civ Discussion

Post by fei123456 »

1. Most tongue cards are not available in 1v1 games. Spanish 8 lancers may be the only useful one.
2. I feel that Malta crossbow is a cost-effective unit, but crossbow+pike isn't a good combo in age 3, even with upgrades. Hussar and dragoon is quite weak either.
3. Commandary is too expensive. Sometimes you want to switch into cavalry, and you have to pay 350 resource and 100 years to build a "stable". Hussar takes 220 resource and doesn't share HP buff.
4. Malta mercenary shipments are stronger than imagined.

I found some 1400+ players do TP boom with sentinels. With building aura it's not easy to break their TP defense, and they have extra income from TPs.
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

the civ is strangely designed for me, it's the first time when i play a civ i don't know what to send when i hit age 3 because your best shipment is 12 crossbow ..., you have the 8 musk but it's not incredible either, the fixed guns sucks and in addition it's a shipment worth 700 resource age 3 so there's clearly better to send, you don't have a 1000c shipment so you can't even train falcs or you can't train fire throwers and besides it's not so strong because 16 ranges and gets one shot before they can shoot, also there's plenty of good cards age 4 so everything suggests that this civ can have a decent FI but again you don't have 1000c so how can you FI ? you don't have a 2 falc shipment so you can't even do a kind of timing musk cannon age 3, after that we can say we're playing age 2 but you have a stable that costs 250w 100c with huss that costs 130f 90c (they are stronger than normal huss yes but it's hard to do decent timing with a stable that costs that much) so what we can do timing musk crossbow meanwhile youre opponent can just defend with full crossbow or just wait to hit age 3 and send 2 falc or whatever, you don't have fast age either ( it's the new fashion of the devs every new civ no longer has a fast age because of the stupid story "semi ff blabla" so you have to send a card to have a fast age... ) so in the case of malta you don't have a timing age 2 with cav or so at 9 min but it's too late lol and you don't have a fast age so again no tempo, i feel like the civ is just empty when i hit age 3 i just don't know what to do since i have no tempo i have nothing and i have seen several times because the civ is not explored but there is nothing to explore lol, i mean the only viable strategy that i found it's rush double rax xbow pike with the shipment 8 bow 8 pike and their card to improve them but i mean it sucks lol or you boom tc age 3 but it sucks too anyways lol

it may be me who plays the civ badly (most likely) but personally the civ gives me the impression that its not finished or idk, this civ is sincerly bad for me
Image Image
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I feel like malta feels like is designed to be played incrementally for lack of a better word with no vil card in age 2 but +30% gather rate card and all of their units have some kind of card that makes them really strong, but only after a certain mass has been reached (the bolt card for xbow, the rockets for the fires) so like you are supposed to just be constantly fighting, gaining map control to take advantage of that 30% bonus and just slowly build up your mass until you get the shipment that maps you op

Like if they have a forward with the hospitals, that is a position that is hard to break cause their units heal up.

Basically they need map control

it sorta reminds me of how that style of russia that is the slow strangle hold on the opponent with a strong FB that is supposed to just contain the opponent until you get boyars and the cav card and just push in

That is malta, except they want you to do that in age 3

the bolt card makes xbow a force on their own (also not counting 3 upgrade cards and all the other extra HP) - its 18 range in age 3 and also gives them a lot of siege power