Bye

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Bye

Post by Garja »

That's exactly because the competitive players are gone while most are casual players which enjoy the new meta.
I'm not even advocating for legacy being that good, just DE changes lead to a very chaotici and non competitive game.
Image Image Image
No Flag mirmydon
Musketeer

Post by mirmydon »

Goodspeed wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 11:18
I don't recall kaiser cheating
That's i m saying xD u so confident
I do
Droptricking at least twice
Once on great lakes ger vs iro
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

"overhauled and refreshed new game"

There's your problem. People here have been playing and loving a different game; One that came out in 2005
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

mirmydon wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 17:50
Goodspeed wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 11:18
I don't recall kaiser cheating
That's i m saying xD u so confident
I do
Droptricking at least twice
Once on great lakes ger vs iro
Not recalling if something is true or not isn't "confident" fyi
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

MaxMagous wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 17:32
Kind of insane how the circlejerking narrative of legacy outlasting and outperforming DE still goes on to this day. You guys are literally 10 people as compared to the thousands who enjoy the overhauled and refreshed new game that we were gifted out of nowhere. That isn't even an opinion at this point, it's just absurd to advocate it, it's bizarre
"I enjoy old thing I'm familiar with more than new thing I'm unfamiliar with" is an opinion, I would argue an extremely common one
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

And the fact that this “new game” has the lowest skill ceiling of all time where it doesnt reward the better player. The sheer amount of nonsense and bullshit added is unarguable. Exactly the reason why shitters like this new aoe is its so much easier beating much better players whilst doing fuck all
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 18:20
MaxMagous wrote:
Kind of insane how the circlejerking narrative of legacy outlasting and outperforming DE still goes on to this day. You guys are literally 10 people as compared to the thousands who enjoy the overhauled and refreshed new game that we were gifted out of nowhere. That isn't even an opinion at this point, it's just absurd to advocate it, it's bizarre
"I enjoy old thing I'm familiar with more than new thing I'm unfamiliar with" is an opinion, I would argue an extremely common one
That is indeed an opinion and is indeed albeit sadly a very common one. What I find unconceivable is the idea that what had become a totally dead, stagnant, unsupported, uneventful game in the pre-DE era was better (?) and would have outlasted (???) the game that we have now. Hopefully this clarifies.
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

MaxMagous wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 19:42
fightinfrenchman wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 18:20
MaxMagous wrote:
That is indeed an opinion and is indeed albeit sadly a very common one. What I find unconceivable is the idea that what had become a totally dead, stagnant, unsupported, uneventful game in the pre-DE era was better (?) and would have outlasted (???) the game that we have now. Hopefully this clarifies.
It was better imo
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

If the game was totally dead before DE it sure as shit is now.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Hazza54321 wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 18:46
And the fact that this “new game” has the lowest skill ceiling of all time where it doesnt reward the better player. The sheer amount of nonsense and bullshit added is unarguable. Exactly the reason why shitters like this new aoe is its so much easier beating much better players whilst doing fuck all
Thats just patently untrue. The only reason theres perceived lower skill ceiling is due to the old "top" players refusing to even learn how the new game works, so "worse" players who actually learn how the new game works perform better. But believe it or not learning how the game works is actually part of being good at it, so the "better" players arent actually better, although if they also put the time into learning the game they probably would be.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:
gibson wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 16:00
It didn't kill the game, I don't even think it killed the game competitively. What it killed was the love people had for the old game, cause this is a completely new game entirely. Many people who loved the old game don't like this new game cause its just so completely different. I realized long ago I didn't have what it takes to be a rly good player, so I like playing a bit doing some of the random bs from the old game mixing in with the new bs. It killed most of the upper level players wanting to try cause they just didn't have the same love for the new game as the old game.
It did because the new different game isn't really competitive. The skill gap in this game was mostly in the first 10-15 minutes of the game and was about the details in the build and in macro/micro. Now it's more similar to a nr10 or, if you want, more similar to the other RTS games where yes, you have some harassment early on that can lead to a little edge for a player, but the game is inevitably going to last longer and result in boring macro games with not much resource shortage (games that don't reach the infinite resource part are mostly over because one player misteps at the wrong time and lose the main battle).
This is regardless of personal likings. It's just how the meta naturally evolves with DE changes. And AOE3 just doesn't work well this way because there isn't much room for skill gap after your reach the infinite resource point. Any other RTS game is about resource denial at any point of the game and occasionally about tech difference. AOE3 quickly becomes "castle siege style" (treaty) with cheap walls and economies being infinite and protected.
Also the changes are chaotic and they leave a trail of inevitable game imbalances on top of the questionable meta.
I don’t think this is true, I don’t think a higher percentage of games on de exhaust natural res when compared to the old game, and a player on natural res is still going to beat a player not on natural res in almost every situation.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Just learn the new shit you lazy fuks
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

I keep coming back every like 2-3months to just play some games.
I even bought all The new civs in that discount package. I gotta say im very dissapointed.
Whats The status of the old game. Does anyone still play?
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

If the game has changed so much, then why are the top players in legacy are still the top players in DE when they are still actively playing?

It's not like Kaiser lost to some new noob
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

Hazza54321 wrote:
How is this even remotely true? Every single tournament in DE in 2021 was either won by you Kaiser or Knusch. You dominated every single one in 2021 including "Shitters" and pretty EASY at that. Then became demotivated and stopped.

You easily showed the way how "old school" player can DOMINATE easy when learning to play some new strats, so just because Kaiser loses to Don Artie and now Aykin does not mean ANYTHING AT ALL. Kaiser simply refused to analyse anything in any matchup he played, he did not even study 1 minute the maps he played.. that is on him, if he does that he wins easy regardless of what his opponent does and we all know it.

Also these "shitters" you so call have achieved nothing at all in any major DE tournament not even Medal positions.
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

LazarosVas wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 21:25
Hazza54321 wrote:
How is this even remotely true? Every single tournament in DE in 2021 was either won by you Kaiser or Knusch. You dominated every single one in 2021 including "Shitters" and pretty EASY at that. Then became demotivated and stopped.

You easily showed the way how "old school" player can DOMINATE easy when learning to play some new strats, so just because Kaiser loses to Don Artie and now Aykin does not mean ANYTHING AT ALL. Kaiser simply refused to analyse anything in any matchup he played, he did not even study 1 minute the maps he played.. that is on him, if he does that he wins easy regardless of what his opponent does and we all know it.

Also these "shitters" you so call have achieved nothing at all in any major DE tournament not even Medal positions.
I really feel some of these are "Old Man yelling at the ⛅ " stuff.

To give some credits to the complaints tho, there has been some broken stuff that were introduced (and fixed up).

But this is nothing new. Happened a lot in legacy also...especially when the expansions happened. It's a non avoidable by product of new content being made
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

MaxMagous wrote:
You guys are literally 10 people as compared to the thousands who enjoy the overhauled and refreshed new game that we were gifted out of nowhere.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 20:33
Garja wrote:
gibson wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 16:00
It didn't kill the game, I don't even think it killed the game competitively. What it killed was the love people had for the old game, cause this is a completely new game entirely. Many people who loved the old game don't like this new game cause its just so completely different. I realized long ago I didn't have what it takes to be a rly good player, so I like playing a bit doing some of the random bs from the old game mixing in with the new bs. It killed most of the upper level players wanting to try cause they just didn't have the same love for the new game as the old game.
It did because the new different game isn't really competitive. The skill gap in this game was mostly in the first 10-15 minutes of the game and was about the details in the build and in macro/micro. Now it's more similar to a nr10 or, if you want, more similar to the other RTS games where yes, you have some harassment early on that can lead to a little edge for a player, but the game is inevitably going to last longer and result in boring macro games with not much resource shortage (games that don't reach the infinite resource part are mostly over because one player misteps at the wrong time and lose the main battle).
This is regardless of personal likings. It's just how the meta naturally evolves with DE changes. And AOE3 just doesn't work well this way because there isn't much room for skill gap after your reach the infinite resource point. Any other RTS game is about resource denial at any point of the game and occasionally about tech difference. AOE3 quickly becomes "castle siege style" (treaty) with cheap walls and economies being infinite and protected.
Also the changes are chaotic and they leave a trail of inevitable game imbalances on top of the questionable meta.
I don’t think this is true, I don’t think a higher percentage of games on de exhaust natural res when compared to the old game, and a player on natural res is still going to beat a player not on natural res in almost every situation.
Actually what I meant is that resources don't need to be depleated because there are infinite res mechanics that bypass the problem. In fact on DE res get depleated less (and it was already somewhat of an issue on EP).
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

blackout wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 22:55
MaxMagous wrote:
You guys are literally 10 people as compared to the thousands who enjoy the overhauled and refreshed new game that we were gifted out of nowhere.
Image Image Image
Pakistan comradecommissar
Dragoon
ESO: ComradeCommissar

Post by comradecommissar »

I'm very conflicted about the new game, and Im sure there are others like me out there. On the one hand, I miss ESO and the social features it had and how it felt like you were part of an ecosystem and community rather than just another Steam username. We used to whine a lot about how the game was dead but there was something nice about seeing the same people and playing them regularly. On the new game, I don't think I've really enjoyed any of the new civs either and it feels like too much of an investment of my time to learn and relearn new metas every couple of months because they released new civs. The fact that most civs either release in an overpowered or underpowered state doesn't help matters either.

But on the flip side, it was nice to get the new graphics and the quality of life improvements that the new game brought, along with regular balance updates and bug fixes. Perhaps most importantly, it gave AOE3 a lease on life, even in a state we don't all feel too happy about. At some point, ESO on the old game will shut down and it will stop being compatible with newer software and hardware. I've been playing this game off and on since 2005, and its the one game I've ever really been invested in. Its nice to know that even if I don't feel like playing/don't have the time nowadays, I can always come back to this game 2 years from now and not have to worry about whether ESO is still around or whether the game isn't a horrible mess overwhelmed by hackers at the medium/non ESOC patch level of play.

So yeah, the new game has definitely changed things around and most people who have been around a while don't particularly like it. I don't even tune into streams anymore because it isn't what it used to be in the ESOC patch days. But at least the game, in its overly commercialized and weirdly redeveloped state continues to live on. AOE3 shouldn't have lived on in the way that it did. It was never too popular. The community was always small. But we got a remaster and new servers and new civs etc and I have to feel grateful for that.
United States of America leg[]
Crossbow

Post by leg[] »

Maybe he didn't have real skill if blaming loss to an explosive building 0-3 lol.
AoE3 pros are notorious for following build order but then getting thrashed by high APM pros from like starcraft, aom ,etc., not having that adaptability that does something amazing to win the game, just sayin.
But understood anyway it's such a flawed game anyway at this point.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 23:21
gibson wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 20:33
Show hidden quotes
Actually what I meant is that resources don't need to be depleated because there are infinite res mechanics that bypass the problem. In fact on DE res get depleated less (and it was already somewhat of an issue on EP).
How has de made civs less dependent on natural res with infinite res mechanics? None of the de civs are worse in that regard than Dutch or Japan. African civs can survive for a bit off livestock, inca can get like a 10f trickle, and swe ofc but all these civs still need as much map is Dutch does and none need less than Japan. You can make the natural res in your base last a bit longer, but outside of Lakota it’s not standard to send those cards.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

when illusion is disowned, it fails to dissuade
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

gibson wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 00:41
Garja wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 23:21
Show hidden quotes
How has de made civs less dependent on natural res with infinite res mechanics? None of the de civs are worse in that regard than Dutch or Japan. African civs can survive for a bit off livestock, inca can get like a 10f trickle, and swe ofc but all these civs still need as much map is Dutch does and none need less than Japan. You can make the natural res in your base last a bit longer, but outside of Lakota it’s not standard to send those cards.
Inca has houses that generate food, in base.
Swedes have torps which generate both food and coin. And they can replace them atleast twice each.
Usa has a factory in age3 and a bank or coin trickle.
Mexico has haciendas that make mill/plant transition easier and also can generate vills or units under some circumstances. Also double deck.
Also rushes have been nerfed even more so the meta is more lax.
Image Image Image
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

DE slowly killed this game. To this day I don't understand why not just abandon this and go back to EP, it was so good