Bye

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Bye

Post by Kaiserklein »

So the biggest tournament in about 15 years is hosted. You get 4 qualifiers at fixed dates, during summer holidays weekends, instead of having good old scheduling threads. Some people will be able to get 4 chances to qualify, while I was only able to get 1 (almost got 0, but some stuff I had planned on this weekend got cancelled).

So I'm forced into playing in the first qualifiers, which gives me a couple weeks at best to learn 2 new civs and a set of non competitive maps. There are maps I had never even played before in this pool, units I had never seen before, and so on. I didn't even know there was a map with trains on it and +200f in the pool, or that Malta could build those explosive buildings... It's just pretty much impossible to play, plus it's frustrating.

I know that MS sponsoring this event means we have to adapt to their requests, so I'm really not blaming the tourney admins, they did their best. I'm glad they were able to get in touch with MS and get this massive prizepool. I hope people still enjoy the content despite all the issues this game has (mill bugs, x0.5 speed recs, stupid maps, etc).

It's just that I've been thinking for a while that I should stop playing this game altogether. There's virtually no one good left playing the game, the maps are getting worse and worse, there are still bugs, a ton of gimmicks and imbalances... I don't have any fun playing the game anymore. I was playing it less and less, but even so it felt like a massive waste of time and energy basically everytime.

Losing 0-3 just because I don't know the civs and maps sounds like a good opportunity to finally quit the game altogether. I think I had a good run and don't feel the need to win more events. Winning doesn't even feel rewarding anyway, since the skill level has drastically decreased so there's no glory really. Also the people I enjoyed the most playing with are not playing this game anymore.

I know these "goodbye threads" are usually mocked. I just felt like I kinda had to make one because of how involved I've been in this game and community for 5+ years. I couldn't really just go and say nothing about it. And who knows, maybe this game becomes competitive some day and I feel like coming back, but I doubt it. I'll probably still lurk in streams though.

Bye
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Turkey Revnak
Crossbow

Re: Bye

Post by Revnak »

Bye
United States of America The_Crabgot
Crossbow
ESO: Crabgot

Post by The_Crabgot »

@Kaiserklein Hey , I cant say im totally thrilled by the spoil and comments in the game but shit happens. I cant say that im happy to see you make these posts saying goodbye it would be sad to lose someone who dominated tournament scene for many years and is arguably the best to do it. I'm not here to brown nose but just to say thank you for everything you have done for the community and the content you have provided you will be missed by some that truly appreciated the real RTS skill aspect of the game. Obviously the game has taken a change i think most of us hoped for you to take the time to learn and adapt to them because we didnt wanna see the frustration its caused you. You have shown and given us many signs for the last year in AOE that your enjoyment for the game was slowly going away and the spark that had you loving and playing was dwindling...So i cant pretend im surprised by your decision but this is my goodbye post too you and thanks for all you have done. Hope to see you lurking and potentially coming back with the spark you once had that drove you to play and learn this game and compete at its highest level.
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I'll never forget all the hours we spent 1v1ing each other and strategizing for opponents in those early ESOC tournaments where neither of us were good enough to win anything yet. Granted, half of it was us complaining about how bad we were xD

Glad we got to meet at NWC a few years ago :)

Keep in touch, and let me know if you ever want to play other RTS games like AoE4 or Stormgate together in the future.
Germany animusvox
Crossbow
ESO: SirThore

Post by animusvox »

It's a tragedy that we lose another skilled player who loves this game and wants the best for the community due to the changes enforced by the developing team. I can fully understand the decision to quit. Being around for so long and seeing the game you are so passionate about going into a direction that is not fun to play in the ways it used to be is frustrating. If at any point you find enjoyment with game again the community will welcome you, Kaiser! For the rest of us, lets hope we can find peace with how things change.
Chile RenektonSion
Crossbow
ESO: IIIIIIIIII
Clan: SpNz

Post by RenektonSion »

It makes me sad to see your departure, but I feel that it is necessary for a game like the great age3 that can be exploited a lot to obtain news, new functions and mechanics, I totally agree that the game seems to be less and less competitive, it seems that the devs have had a hard time thinking about that, this game stopped being competitive when the african civs came out, but well, we as a community and especially you have reported and commented on these inconveniences in the relevant forums, so I imagine that much more in the legal field can not do more
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I like reading Ted Kooser, poet laureate and etc. Ted is from a very small town in Iowa, attended my alma mater, taught at my alma mater, and lives 30 minutes from my house on a small plot of land in the country a few miles from a very small town. I grew up on a small farm in the country a few miles from a very small town.

He writes about what I know, some of it. Ted still writes with a pen on paper while the sun comes up and when garages were called car sheds. He reads calm and slow and deliberate and disciplined. There's a lot of old characters from another time, before my time. Ted bridges the border from before then, to now, until he will eventually become what he studies. Then someone'll bridge from him to them. What I mean is -- Ted writes about what I know, some of it. I write most what Ted doesn't. We come from the same place in a different time; that's different worlds.

I like reading Ted Kooser but he isn't my favorite author; he's more my dad's. Everything he writes he knows. And that's how it is. I wish he was my favorite author but he isn't, and that's OK.

After wishing I was Ted, coming to terms I'm not, I feel like Ted now -- you're an old liver spotted sun sore wrinkled dusty face who still speaks German in Nebraska, hunkered on the land you settled you refuse to ever leave. And that's a proud thing to be. Ted is honored in life, humbled.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Finland somp
Dragoon

Post by somp »

You cant always rely on the old and standard anymore if you wanna be the very top, considering how much new stuff is being added. It is not impossible to play but you have the learn the new civs and maps (and use money which sux).

What was really bad in this tourney was that every qualifier is 2-days... I dont really wanna spend whole weekend on that, only Sundays would have been viable and better.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

somp wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 18:36
You cant always rely on the old and standard anymore if you wanna be the very top, considering how much new stuff is being added. It is not impossible to play but you have the learn the new civs and maps (and use money which sux).

What was really bad in this tourney was that every qualifier is 2-days... I dont really wanna spend whole weekend on that, only Sundays would have been viable and better.
it will be likely that the last qualifier will be sunday only. team is discussing.
mad cuz bad
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

You can win new civs and maps
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag oldskool_bro
Musketeer

Post by oldskool_bro »

Dear kaiserklein, I would like to thank you for the best music of all age of empires streams. you and optimus have always been my favorite streamers. if u want i can change ur liquipedia profile into retired
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

As you reach the age where you will never again have the time to be good at an RTS I can recommend moving on to turn-based thinking games like Go, which you will also never be good at but at least it's lasting and you won't have to learn new games at age 50 when once again faced with the fact that video games expire.

I believe we relatively young people underestimate how valuable it is for a game to be lasting.
China ziper
Musketeer
ESO: 井井井井井井井井井井

Post by ziper »

Kaiserklein wrote:
10 Jul 2022, 16:39
There's virtually no one good left playing the game
Dark age
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

I think if you stopped crying and started learning the new game you would have fun. you wouldn't lose to anyone, sometimes you forget who you are, even losing to me.
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

There are two reasons this game is barely competitive right now.

1. The online experience got destroyed. Since we're still not able to see who's online and have a decent friends list, a lot of matches don't occur. Players don't meet each other online and at the high level segment it leads to a lonely feeling. Not seeing your fellow high skilled friends results in feeling lonely and a lot of missed games. Think about how it went on ESO (legacy online). The friends list was always on top and you could easily invite your fellow high skilled friends. The fact that the group of high level skilled players is small and there is no way to interact with each other in game, leads to these players leaving.

2. So much new content. And this is great actually, but for the existing pro's, this is hard. Hard to catch up, hard to get good again. With so many new civs, maps, units, cards... I think we have to accept that we have lost our legacy skilled players, but that new ones are coming up in the definitive edition. They don't know any better than that the game is what it is. No "good old days" memories. "Just me and the game. 22 civs, my job to learn them all and get good. No reason to complain, because I have not experienced the past." People are getting better and that will continue. But these players are relatively new names and started recently.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

@MCJim 3rd reason (and related to your 2nd point) is that some old players, real life has caught up to them.

Some older players don't have the time to catchup on new metas and have a hard time losing certain games because for this reason.

Hopefully there are new players will be emerging that will take the mantle
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

But to Kaiser's point, about scheduling and fairness. Some players are getting robbed of 2nd chances which is very unfortunate because of tourney format.
No Flag rukisrecord
Crossbow

Post by rukisrecord »

To be honest, I laughed at the fact that I was accumulating a map with a TP line as competitive after repeating similar tactics.
DE and ESO C patch were overwhelmingly more balanced than TAD, but they were overwhelmingly less creative than TAD.
It's nothing more than shit to compete for accuracy by using several similar tactics with all players using a fixed deck like the top 100 micro-manipulation nerds.
No Flag Kanoo
Skirmisher

Post by Kanoo »

You are the GOAT, right up there with @lordraphael and @H2O_ . Probably the most feared opponent to face before the start of any new tourney, considering how you're always usually ranked first among your peers. You really will be missed around here champ, and I hope to see you back competitively again soon, and thank you for all that you've done for the community!
thebritish wrote:
19 Jan 2016, 09:58
So, you are saying that if i watch H20's rec, i can beat anyone below H20's level because i know his BO?
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

See you in a few weeks then.
China absolute_zero_nb
Crossbow
ESO: Absolute_eutopia

Post by absolute_zero_nb »

All these changes are too fast. many things are hard for us to master. as zipper says:new content comes out every week. these can even overturn previous understanding.
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Good luck with whatever you're picking up next. If you come back in the future, hopefully you'll be able to do it with a clear, refreshed state of mind ready to embrace the changes that have happened in DE.
I don't know you personally but some of the things you say do sound like you're dealing with burnout, just not for your job but for the game.
Netherlands don_artie
Dragoon
ESO: don artie

Post by don_artie »

having caused one of these retirement post iterations in the past as former worst cunt of the game was an amazing feeling. So congrats to kynesie for doing the work this time
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

don_artie wrote:
11 Jul 2022, 06:56
having caused one of these retirement post iterations in the past as former worst cunt of the game was an amazing feeling. So congrats to kynesie for doing the work this time
Was the Godly Aykin this time!

Also Can someone add this to the official list of retirement posts? as far as im aware this is kaisers 2nd retirement post, possibly 3rd?