A reflection on the state of the competitive scene.

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Re: A reflection on the state of the competitive scene.

Post by BrookG »

The only restrictive rule was with regards Italy and Malta. They had to play one of those at least once. In the BO7 and BO9 twice.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Are you sure? In the rules I just read it says players can only play each civ (except Italy and Malta I guess) once per series. That's a restrictive rule and it's a huge difference compared to free pick
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Yea the consistent restrictive rule in EP style tourneys is not being able to either play or win with the same civ twice. This is mainly driven by viewers who complain about seeing mirrors over and over. Make a free pick, blind pick tourney and you will see players play the same 1-2 civs over and over, but this might change if you can guess what civs your opponent favors. This will make mechanics supreme again but still give the freedom for upsets and sneaky strats, at least until the meta settles
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
31 Aug 2022, 17:49
Yea the consistent restrictive rule in EP style tourneys is not being able to either play or win with the same civ twice. This is mainly driven by viewers who complain about seeing mirrors over and over. Make a free pick, blind pick tourney and you will see players play the same 1-2 civs over and over, but this might change if you can guess what civs your opponent favors. This will make mechanics supreme again but still give the freedom for upsets and sneaky strats, at least until the meta settles
Yeah I was a big proponent of civ restrictions at the time, but imho the current state of balance calls for a different rule set for reasons mentioned. It's important to combine it with banning the OP stuff though
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Goodspeed wrote: ↑
31 Aug 2022, 18:20
Squamiger wrote: ↑
31 Aug 2022, 17:49
Yeah I was a big proponent of civ restrictions at the time, but imho the current state of balance calls for a different rule set for reasons mentioned. It's important to combine it with banning the OP stuff though
i think that you need to have a totally free-pick, all-civs allowed, high stakes tourney first, to actually established what is truly OP and what is just new stuff that people lame on the ladder because no one is prepared for it. After that you can think about bans. A real tourney would solidify the true meta, as opposed to the meta of people being kinda turned off by the thought of having to learn new civs and builds
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'd ban all of the new civs, then whatever is known to be OP out of the old civs
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

I am also thinking, with the way the modding system works now, I am seeing people starting to create mods to edit specific units and cards.

An option would be just to have a tourney balance mod if ever reach that point right? at least it wont require a separate game patch

Also I think devs really need to release win rate info on ladder, the fact that lakota is still considered to have an extremely high win rate at all levels even before the rework was surprising to me
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

helln00 wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2022, 02:26
I am also thinking, with the way the modding system works now, I am seeing people starting to create mods to edit specific units and cards.

An option would be just to have a tourney balance mod if ever reach that point right? at least it wont require a separate game patch

Also I think devs really need to release win rate info on ladder, the fact that lakota is still considered to have an extremely high win rate at all levels even before the rework was surprising to me
EP2 is really what the competitive scene needs.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

DEEP when?