Tier lists

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Tier lists

Post by Kawapasaka »

I've been inspired by lionshart's tackling of the tiers
https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134

French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Re: Tier lists

Post by kevinitalien »

Kawapasaka wrote: ↑
31 Oct 2022, 12:48
I've been inspired by lionshart's tackling of the tiers
https://tiermaker.com/create/age-of-emp ... lc-1132134

pretty much agree with everything there except usa id put them between hauds and russia
Image Image
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Seing Ports right alone at the top of the tier list makes me happy.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

ports is either s tier or d tier, seems like a poorly designed civ bc its so hard to make certain aspects of their gameplay not shit, without having the effect of completely overpowering other parts
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

French, Malta and China should be in A tier imo. USA probably still B tier atleast. Inca probably C or B tier atleast.
Also not sure Ports are in a tier of their own. They seem about as good as other top civs.
Russia seems overrated. Otto is possibly A tier.
Image Image Image
Great Britain LionHeart
Skirmisher
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by LionHeart »

Love me a good ol' tier list discussion!!
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

Russia in same Tier as Ottoman and Spain? I dont think so.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@The_Crabgot Come explain to these fools how port is really bottom tier
Germany steroitzz
Crossbow

Post by steroitzz »

I am Malta Main lvl 121, playing supremacy 1v1 only. I would put Malta in C Tier. 2 pop Musks, no 2 falc shipment, only 3 culvs now, only 9 brigadiers now, a lot bad MUs. And 90% you never get to Industrial Age. Elo 1100 is full with rushes only.
Bottos + Indians = noobs.
United States of America Rednote
Crossbow

Post by Rednote »

I feel like the civ power balance is actually not terrible right now.
Attachments
my-image (1).png
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

eggsplanations

Port - Everyone always agreed that Port with 3v would be too good and the trickle is basically better than 3v so go figure.
Brit - Maps are generally pretty great for them. Still hits age 2 fast despite crate nerf. Wouldn't call them OP because overall balance is close enough.
India - Perpetually solid. Decent options against all its classic counters except maybe Germany.
Germany - Very consistent, not much in the way of hard counters.
Italy - Still good I guess. Awkward if stuck in fortress but otherwise great.
Spain - Might have had this lower but it looks like Spanish Gold is back on the table. So assuming it's good.
China - Underwhelming compared to the forward blockhouse steppe spam patch. A bit slow but overall good. A little vulnerable to the classic disrupt + boom.
Otto - Buffs look amazing on paper but taking away the tower age is kind of a big deal. Although some might argue it was always a bad way to play the civ. Still has good options on a majority of maps.
Iro - Nice versatile civ but often out-massed hard in the mid-game.
Russia - Fine I guess. Boyars nerf is sad. Maybe underrated with stage, water and spice trade builds.
France - Solid baseline. Buffs were nice but not hugely relevant.
Malta - Unit scaling kicks in surprisingly early. Otherwise meh. Doesn't hit scary timings, just sort of grinds games out.
Sweden - Fast, good tempo, hard to punish the torping. Slides into age 3 quite easily. But very awkward mid-game; needs to send a lot of cards at the same time to keep units and eco competitive.
Aztec - Nobody remembers how to play normal Aztec but it was okay. No 5v hurts though.
Mexico - Not really sure but haven't seen anything remarkable from them in a while.
Dutch - Virtually every civ has some build that *should* beat them, but still not necessarily easily.
Japan - Units have been powercreeped hard. Slow and counterable if done precisely.
Hausa - Similar feelings to Mexico. Bit better than Ethiopia since they aren't so timing-reliant and use map nats better.
USA - I actually forgot about the highlander rush which I probably overreacted to anyway. Might be underrating it here but it really feels like the entire civ is the 3 Gattling shipment and nothing else. Boring civ that I hate playing.
Lakota - Nuked hard in the last few patches but I think semi'ing with crates, stagecoach etc is still enough to keep them out of the very bottom.
Inca - Non-existent boom, can't punish an age-up but very little incentive to go age 3 now either. Units are too expensive for what they do. Can nat rush sometimes I guess. Not good.
Ethiopia - Timings got nerfed hard, unit scaling sucks, can barely produce from 2 buildings before 15 minutes. Can't do anything against mid-game artillery massses. Livestock mechanic is decoration for most of the game. Struggles for food income with all vills on food and can't even ship 4v anymore. Pigeonholed into going full inf and can't catch raids. Pretty bad.

btw even though I don't have usa or azzy very high I still really really wish they'd make all minutemen give kill xp
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

my favourite part about tier lists is knowing that everyone could make one, go to sleep, wake up the next day, play a handful of 1v1s, and do the tier list over again without looking at your previous one and it would look significantly different.
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

01 Nov 2022, 01:04
Russia - Fine I guess. Boyars nerf is sad. Maybe underrated with stage, water and spice trade builds.
How can water or spice trade be viable now when it was not viable before and now boyars got nerfed?
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

01 Nov 2022, 01:04

Ethiopia - Timings got nerfed hard, unit scaling sucks, can barely produce from 2 buildings before 15 minutes. Can't do anything against mid-game artillery massses. Livestock mechanic is decoration for most of the game. Struggles for food income with all vills on food and can't even ship 4v anymore. Pigeonholed into going full inf and can't catch raids. Pretty bad.
I'm not convinced you're playing them optimally. I can produce from two buildings immediately in age 2. Oromos buffed in this last patch and jav cav shred artillery and catch raids quite well. They are probably like a low B / high C tier at the lowest, bc they are complicated.
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Ethiopia has been nerfed so hard...
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

The biggest nerfs have been to dervishes and gascenya, to bring them down to normal unit stats. They were just completely busted when they were first released, so people made low eco all-in age 2 rush strats to capitalize on how strong these units were. Now that they are properly tuned down, you have to play the civ a little more carefully, which means getting macro right for training abuns, getting cows, getting influence to age fast, etc. I feel like most people don't do this efficiently when I see the civ played.
United States of America alistairpeter
Dragoon
ESO: alistairpeter

Post by alistairpeter »

Mexico is hands down my least favorite civ to play against, not sure how to scout or counter what they do, if I win I don't know why. they seem to be able to do just about whatever they feel like, but not the way France can, just their own weird thing.
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

my opinion changed a bit after playing some games
Image Image
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

i don't play a lot anymore but seing inca nerfed that much is great, even japan bottom tier is great, hope to see lakota D tier in futur
Germany richard
Dragoon

Post by richard »

Russia is in an awkward spot atm, imo.

Cant FF, cant play age II vs age III, cant Rush, cant boom. What is viable?
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

love you krich, keep doing what you're doing
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Can’t win even with two tbs
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Spain Synchro
Musketeer
Clan: TCP

Post by Synchro »

Japan and the Dutch so low, once the strongest civilizations in the game that everyone used are now reduced like this? lol
Starsky: Think, always think what you can improve... There is sooo much room for improvement, which most guys simply dont see, because they just use very strong bos and units combos (wws only --> easy and toooo strong). (2006)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Did Inca get further nerfs recently? Because if not, the civ can still do its standard play and should be quite good.
What's so good about Spain that it's one of the top civs? Feels like it's still in the same place it has ever been.
Also I think Swedes now has a more solid combo to go for with Hakkas+leather cannons. I'm probably going to write down a strat for that, as well as for old Inca standard play which seems nobody does.
Image Image Image
Lancer

Post by kevinitalien »

Garja wrote: ↑
03 Nov 2022, 19:48
Did Inca get further nerfs recently? Because if not, the civ can still do its standard play and should be quite good.
What's so good about Spain that it's one of the top civs? Feels like it's still in the same place it has ever been.
Also I think Swedes now has a more solid combo to go for with Hakkas+leather cannons. I'm probably going to write down a strat for that, as well as for old Inca standard play which seems nobody does.
idk i played inca a bit and its bad lol, age 2 is slow as fuck, tp booming can work but for some reason i lost every fight against classic musk huss, ff into huaraca bolas is fine but most of the time i get destroyed by full skirm and the transi chimu can work but well a few goons and my opponent is fine, maybe its me after all its based on my experience and my inca is not great either though

concerning swe ye hakka is really good, i saw plenty of people just ffing and full hakka turn around ( pretty boring to play against due to the fact goons don't especially counter them ), in fact i just find that civ pretty much one dimensionnal and easy to predict

concerning spain i always find this civ good, spanish gold is back for a +5f for dogs and the xp curve is a bit slower but i don't even feel the difference in games tbh, spain is just really good i think
Image Image