Let the rarely uses cards cost less XP?

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Let the rarely uses cards cost less XP?

Post by dutchdude117 »

From this post:
https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/let-t ... -xp/221409
I want to offer a direction of changing the mechanism of the game, after I read this:
https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Experience 3

According the article, currently all the cards cost 100% XP. This means the later a card is used, the more xp it will cost. So how about if we let the rarely used cards cost fixed amount of XP?

For example, change the frame color of the icons of the the rarely used cards to grey. Let the “grey frame cards” in age 1 always cost no more than 400 XP (They still can be used when a shipment is avalable at any time no matter how many EX points the player currently has, so if they are used as the first shipment, they still cost 300XP.), let the grey ones in age2 cost no more than 800 XP, and in age 3 cost no more 1600 XP. (The number is just for example.)

By let rarely used card not always cost 100% XP for the more late shipments, maybe some rarely used cards could become very powerful, encouraging people put them in their decks.

Just a sudden idea. :thinking:
There were some interesting responses:
Agreement:
That actually is a good idea. Some cards will always lose in the hierarchy. The alternatives are simply too hard to pass up. They are somewhere between the full value of that level of card.
Dissenters:
Might be interesting but dont know how that will work within the game since shipment techs are listed as having “Ships” as cost - ie each card cost 1 shipment to send, not XP. so you cant really implement a different cost for them easily
will
 maybe it is better to strengthen them
Shipments are discrete. Not sure how to really implement them. I’d prefer “bundling” some of them.

There were some ideas about implementation:
Otherwise an alternative to your concept could be to just make lesser shipments return a certain amount of XP upon being sent, so you could take a card that’s generally considered ‘bad’ like Ranching, and have it also immediately return like 100xp in addition.
United States of America dutchdude117
ESOC Community Team
ESO: Dutchdude117

Re: Let the rarely uses cards cost less XP?

Post by dutchdude117 »

In the end I thought this was the best idea:
Wow this is a interesting idea, and I actually agree with it. There are some cards that by nature will never be worth the full shipment value of their cost. (looking at you envoy cards)

Some people have suggested having cards give a flat XP amount as a way to get you to your next card, or increase the XP of the things that the cards generate.
This solution has a couple problems. Firstly, not all cards have things to generate ways of boosting XP. Secondly if XP is given only in flat amounts, it does not account for the fact that shipment cost scales after each shipment.

However I think the best way to implement this idea is to make it so a card deemed a lower tiered card, should recieve these two qualities:
-(1) the card does not increase the XP scaling of future cards
-(2) the card returns a certain percent of the XP cost of itself (for example 30%)
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

The idea is actually kind of neat, I don't mind it.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

We don't need this.
Not all cards have to be relevant/used. Some are bad in sup and good in treaty, some are bad in 1v1 and might work in team. Some are just bad and only there to do something different/trolling. And it's fine this way.
In fact, "less viability" has progressively become a value to protect in DE, imo.
Image Image Image
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

Garja wrote: ↑
26 Dec 2022, 17:31
We don't need this.
Not all cards have to be relevant/used. Some are bad in sup and good in treaty, some are bad in 1v1 and might work in team. Some are just bad and only there to do something different/trolling. And it's fine this way.
In fact, "less viability" has progressively become a value to protect in DE, imo.
you don't want to see 7 skirm shipment 3 uhlan for 30% cheaper in term of xp ? xD
Image Image
Germany KaanHoca
Crossbow
ESO: KaanHoca
GameRanger ID: 9460097

Post by KaanHoca »

Why not look first why the rarely used cards are used rarely and change them the way they are not used so rarely anymore (i.e making them better..), stockyards could also give 3sheeps or master surgeons actually giving like 1 surgeon already with it.
One reason for them being is unpopular is they aren't included in the beginner decks and the other one they are too bad as tempo shipments and other investments are probably better.
the XP system is fine as it is, having the exponential growth balances some civs which have shitton of XP income like aztecs warchief aura for example and also gives reasons to go for an ff instead of an semi ff.

Maybe could make an 5 meme cards section and call it "enabler cards" so u have 30 cards and then they maybe get used at some point lol.
imgur.com/a/7KPXbBR