The trend of melee infantry units

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Chile RenektonSion
Crossbow
ESO: IIIIIIIIII
Clan: SpNz

The trend of melee infantry units

Post by RenektonSion »

Looking at the past of the game from the old gameplays I have noticed how the use of melee units has changed, it is that before the use of these units seemed to be more viable despite the fact that the dominance in the late game has always been light infantry with light cavalry and some artillery groups.

I think we all agree that part of the blame for the fact that melee units have lost their importance is due to the pathfiding that in this final version leaves much to be desired, but I don't know if the developers have found an alternative solution or they just did it accidentally but the melee units that have given him passive or interesting cards are used more, for example the Landsknecht and the hospitaller (maltese)

Landsknecht in the old game did not have the damage loaded with the first attack, since it was given it was seen much more

Halberdier was very situational, it was used very little, it only used to be used a little with Holland, now that the halberdier gets from 4 to 4.25 speed and the card that increases its speed has moved to age 1, It is usually used in certain strategies in team.

My thought is that making those tweaks to Skills, charge, passive, could help the melee units to generate premises in combat, I am not saying that they are dominant or better than the combo of light units at a distance but if they give them a more strategic use
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Re: The trend of melee infantry units

Post by jesus3 »

I don't completely understand the point you're trying to make here. The changes you've listed do make melee inf more viable, so they serve their purpose (and I don't think they are unintentional). If you observe any streams right now, you're going to notice that there are lots of games involving melee inf such as Pikemen, Rodeleros, Halbs or even Dopps (and of course whole civilisations such as China, Inca etc. which by design rely a lot on melee inf). This might have to do with the change in play-styles, a greedy meta with lots of buildings you'd want additional siege for, as well as some exceptionally good cav such as Delis or Hakkapelites you'd want a "meat shield" for. And all this despite the persisting path-finding troubles.
Chile RenektonSion
Crossbow
ESO: IIIIIIIIII
Clan: SpNz

Re: The trend of melee infantry units

Post by RenektonSion »

jesus3 wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 13:37
I don't completely understand the point you're trying to make here. The changes you've listed do make melee inf more viable, so they serve their purpose (and I don't think they are unintentional). If you observe any streams right now, you're going to notice that there are lots of games involving melee inf such as Pikemen, Rodeleros, Halbs or even Dopps (and of course whole civilisations such as China, Inca etc. which by design rely a lot on melee inf). This might have to do with the change in play-styles, a greedy meta with lots of buildings you'd want additional siege for, as well as some exceptionally good cav such as Delis or Hakkapelites you'd want a "meat shield" for. And all this despite the persisting path-finding troubles.
Actually when I translated the text the wording ruined me, but I meant that the devs found an alternative solution without knowing if it was voluntarily or involuntarily to add passive, bonus, charges to melee units that were previously unthinkable