Where is the long ago ESOC? (Not Graphically)

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Where is the long ago ESOC? (Not Graphically)

Post by Don Nameless »

This forum has changed a lot since the beginning of DE (I exclude previously and I don't know its history before 2019), not only graphically but also the community, the aoe3DE community has changed its meta has changed and the threads on the forum have changed, not I see more discussions, dead off topic, I don't see players looking for advice or players posting recs, the rec game category is empty compared to the past and if there are no tournaments there are no rec games to download and watch, the tournaments which were hosted via the esoc forum where it was easy to join and view brackets (some nice brackets included) and see previous tournament history as an archive as well as the esoc calendar where it showcased tournament or showmatch matches being played, ego and flame post. Where did all this go? :cry:
I still remember when I was looking at the 2019 Lan Tournament and it was all very nice and the forum very active.
I have to say that many players have also left for various reasons, lack of time, frustration with the game or because of the developers, the release of Aoe4 and many more. Also the management of the forum seems to me decreased or slowed down (maybe not anymore with a new staff and esoc group).
Thoughts about it?
France Starlactites
Crossbow

Re: Where is the long ago ESOC? (Not Graphically)

Post by Starlactites »

Boop. I'm somehwat of a noob that has started playing again recently (although i hail from the 2016-17 era). Im' starting to post updates on my journey recently.

I' ve also got some replays but i'd doubt they'd be interesting. Unless you want to see a 30 mins long game where I gather hunts in the emeny's base due to ressource crunch (long live SA horse carts).

Alternatively hop in and play a game with me. I love getting rekt and having a top level player go over the rec with me and demolish my gameplay bit by bit.
Dutch is banks.

Banks is life.
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Post by Don Nameless »

Starlactites wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 15:54
Boop. I'm somehwat of a noob that has started playing again recently (although i hail from the 2016-17 era). Im' starting to post updates on my journey recently.

I' ve also got some replays but i'd doubt they'd be interesting. Unless you want to see a 30 mins long game where I gather hunts in the emeny's base due to ressource crunch (long live SA horse carts).

Alternatively hop in and play a game with me. I love getting rekt and having a top level player go over the rec with me and demolish my gameplay bit by bit.
In the small of a player you will always find something useful, I'm glad you are following this feat, a tough feat on Aoe3DE more than the Legacy version. Unfortunately I stopped playing, I lost interest in this game even if I continue to follow discussions mainly on the Esoc forum.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Discord happened + prolific posters post less
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Post by Don Nameless »

callentournies wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 18:13
Discord is too dispersive and has poorly organized chats compared to a forum and in a general chat, for example, several discussions can arise simultaneously without understanding anything. It was nicer to discuss in the forums :sad:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Discord for big communities it's literally the shittiest thing on the internet.
Image Image Image
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

The fact that much of the AoE3 community sticks to their 1-2 discord servers (of like 15-20) has definitely made it harder to get involved in the community.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mitoe wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 21:30
The fact that much of the AoE3 community sticks to their 1-2 discord servers (of like 15-20) has definitely made it harder to get involved in the community.
I'm still banned from ESOC discord ngl
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Don Nameless wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 19:05
callentournies wrote:
Discord is too dispersive and has poorly organized chats compared to a forum and in a general chat, for example, several discussions can arise simultaneously without understanding anything. It was nicer to discuss in the forums :sad:
It isn’t about structure, it’s about getting your online social fix in
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Off topic is dead because esoc refuses to implement state flags
Italy Don Nameless
Skirmisher

Post by Don Nameless »

callentournies wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 02:21
Don Nameless wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 19:05
callentournies wrote:
It isn’t about structure, it’s about getting your online social fix in
For me it's a matter of comfort and mental clarity, I can argue about both but I feel better here
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 01:13
Mitoe wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 21:30
I'm still banned from ESOC discord ngl
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I do think that discord and reddit killed forums, I miss that for aoe4. Aom and aoe3 felt drastically more community centered for me because forums like agesanctuary/rts-sanc and esoc.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm curious as to how prevalent discord really was to ESOC's downturn of activity. I similarly don't think that AoE4 had any influence at all on AoE3, interestingly enough. Probably because the lack of polish and slightly anemic game design. I mean, I like it and I think AOE4's design is awesome. But I can see how it's hard to find as much depth as AoE2 or AoE3 since those games have been fleshed out for years and they have better quality maps.

However, this is about AOE3/ESOC.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that resident shitposters/flamers/spammers are no longer interested in flame wars in off topic (think of me, Jerome, gs, ear, basement crew, etc.). There is also reduced activity on the forums since ESOC is no longer in charge of maintaining the ESOC Patch. There is also reduced activity on the forums since there aren't a ton of big events anymore or big names to really participate in them. 3v3 random was killed off by DE and a ton of high level players enjoyed that format.

Basically all the glue that used to keep the community together isn't really there anymore. There's still a small nexus of what used to be and I think that's wonderful.

I also believe that (if I'm not mistaken), the AoE3 community is now mostly made up of newer players who started AoE3 with DE. I believe that the player-base is actually bigger now than before. For all my gripes with the design direction of DE, I have to admit that, after having taken a step back, it was the right call to make. I will definitely own up and admit that my position and thoughts on the matter weren't on the money. It's true and it's sad that legacy AoE3 is now gone for good. However the new AoE3DE is one that should continue to actually grow. Definitely something that is better than not.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

reddit is utter garbage btw. I deleted my reddit account because I've decided I fucking hate the format where arbitrary numbers decide whether or not you have merit. If you're sending echoes into the chamber, you'll do great. If you are trying to bring forward a differing position (which is, you know, what a real discussion is), then you get downvoted or flamed. Fuck reddit. it's literally a website that serves either shock value or echo chambers in order to get traffic. It's a toxic format.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iNcog wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 18:02
I think some of it has to do with the fact that resident shitposters/flamers/spammers are no longer interested in flame wars in off topic (think of me, Jerome, gs, ear, basement crew, etc.).
Let's bring em back
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

My theory is that everyone who's not posting on the forum has died in the meantime
We're really the last
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Aren't there more good places to discuss things nowadays? I think many AoE3 players are posting on the official Age of Empires forums or the Steam Forums. Also, Discord became a place where you can express your thoughts and opinions. That would say there's less need for a forum to exist.

Like iNcog said, a large part of the player base of AoE3:DE is very new to the game. Maybe to the genre in general. I think they find the official forums and Steam forums faster than the ESOC forums.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming