A Noob's journey to improvement part 2: Weed Trees

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
France Starlactites
Crossbow

A Noob's journey to improvement part 2: Weed Trees

Post by Starlactites »

Good evening my good friends.

As promised, a follow-up on my journey!

Where to start. I had written this post a few days ago but esoc deleted and it wasn't saved when i wanted to looked at my attached document :cry:

Compared to last time I have had the opportunity to improve so many things!!!!

Firstly, I have my build order nailed down. When I arrive age 2 i can have my 4 banks up pretty easily and start outbooming.
Sicne last time, I have also gotten much more at ease with hotkeys for the tc and buildings. However I have to switch my keyboard to qwerty at the start of every mach lmao. I do still have some difficulties with idle wills and I need to start using control groups more. Those are essential.

Where do the weed trees come into play? I have spent much time learning more about my civ and doing numerous tests, all that on the Ireland map.

HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE TREES ON THAT MAP? Have they been smoking weed? I thought it was a bug at first, but no, they are weed trees swaying around all weird. Some might say fitting considering i play dutch.

So, during my playtesting on Ireland, I calculated the optimal amount of vills to build banks with. The more vills you build it with the better. However, considering that there might be lots of bumping it looks like around 4 is good.

As they say, The Nile is a river in Egpyt, you cannot got full skirm and expect to win!

Despite that I still did my due diligence and went to see how many skirms i'd need to beat different units.

Musk 5
Sepoy and ashi 6
Jan7
Xbow 9
Pavisier 10
Hussar 36

Me massing 25 skirms and getting rekt by 2 and a half ponies: Insert Surprised Pikachu face.

Any case I wanted to give a special thanks to Guigs. He played some games with me and we went over some of the replays. He said that I wasn't as bad at the game as I thought. He ripped me apart piece by piece in our few games and pointed out all the mistakes. It was very informative! I never knew how I could self sabotage myself so easily! Guigs was so helpful and he is a KING.

To finish, here is a fun moment I had. Dutch South Africa is easily the best revolution out there and I make use of it when I can because I doubt that I'll be able to go SA later on down the line.

The huntables were running out on the map and I sent my wagons to my vills who herded the hunts the the wrong direction lmao. My vills ended up gathering hunts in the enemy base. I think the image should be included in this post!

However funny it may be, it still shows that I need to improve because I am still floating too many ressources.

Anyhow, Someday I am going REK Guigs and write my own dutch guide.

For those who know the Janine Shapiro meme, it'll go something like this:

My resolution?

Coin Trickle

Build Banks

Keep Building Banks

BUILD BANKS AGAIN AND AGAIN

I don't care how long it takes

I need these 9 banks age 2

Me: 9 Bank speedrun any%
Enemy: 25 jans in my base by 4m30 (dunno if the timing is accurate)
Me with no army: Surprised Pikachu face

I know I need to be less greedy but eh.

Lastly, I've breached the 1,1k elo barrier.

What I need to improve on for next week:

Control groups and Idle vill Hotkeys. If anyone has any tips feel free to share.

If anyone wants to play with me and point out all my mistakes feel free to do so! I'd thoroughly enjoy it!

Thanks for listening to my weekly rant.
Attachments
image.png
Dutch is banks.

Banks is life.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Re: A Noob's journey to improvement part 2: Weed Trees

Post by callentournies »

I want to delve more into thish today, but you have tremendous promise, because banks are best built with 4 or 3 vills, depending on available walking time. This will carry you very far in life.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
No Flag uberjz
Dragoon
ESO: WoodPusher

Post by uberjz »

some day Starlactites will beat guigs
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

instead of speedrunning 9 banks any% (closed course, professionals only type build) speedrun any% 5 banks and ship CM and church card. Age and get stradiotsh. Batch train 5 envoys with greatcoats from the market (improves envoy hp) and time with big MM pop. Snare with full hp hero to get the most value out of mm when being pressured.
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

If you choose to do the closed course professionals only 9 banks in age 2 build you kind of need to age with logistician to have a beefier anti cav unit (vet halbs). vet halbs are also a great defensive resource when your opponent pushes under your tc with age 2 units, where vet halbs will poop out onto them and start swinging. and you need a tb or two for xp, to get those banksh, and 4v to get wood for those banksh. It's a really tough build, ive spent a week trying to do it before.
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
France Starlactites
Crossbow

Post by Starlactites »

callentournies wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2023, 20:00
instead of speedrunning 9 banks any% (closed course, professionals only type build) speedrun any% 5 banks and ship CM and church card. Age and get stradiotsh. Batch train 5 envoys with greatcoats from the market (improves envoy hp) and time with big MM pop. Snare with full hp hero to get the most value out of mm when being pressured.
Lmao never thought about that. Gnehehe. I should try and create a new category on speedrun.com
Dutch is banks.

Banks is life.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

Starlactites wrote: ↑
11 Mar 2023, 20:06
11 Mar 2023, 20:00
Lmao never thought about that. Gnehehe. I should try and create a new category on speedrun.com
Last time I checked the naked 5 bank timing from one of my games, 5th bank was complete at 5:55. Depends on map and treasures, but that gives you an idea (3v, 700w, bank wagon, 600w). In that game I built 2 banks from the 700w and the bank wagon was the 5th, so 600w could be CM if direly needed, but may have pop space and market upgrade shortages.
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
France Starlactites
Crossbow

Post by Starlactites »

11 Mar 2023, 19:51
I want to delve more into thish today, but you have tremendous promise, because banks are best built with 4 or 3 vills, depending on available walking time. This will carry you very far in life.
Also regarding this, how I did it.

Firstly, I went to check the Bank Build time for all villagers from 1 to 10.

Alone, one bank takes 30 seconds to build, so that was my baseline for comparison.

Then i looked at opportunity cost.

Here is my work:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Dutch is banks.

Banks is life.
Howdah

Post by callentournies »

11 Mar 2023, 20:15

Alone, one bank takes 30 seconds to build, so that was my baseline for comparison.

Here is my work:
Here's some other info on that topic:

viewtopic.php?t=16732
viewtopic.php?f=983&t=22180&p=509503&hi ... nk#p509503
If I were a petal
Display. Fetch
Things scream.
France Starlactites
Crossbow

Post by Starlactites »

11 Mar 2023, 20:26
11 Mar 2023, 20:15

Here is my work:
Here's some other info on that topic:

viewtopic.php?t=16732
viewtopic.php?f=983&t=22180&p=509503&hi ... nk#p509503
Yay ty a very nice read!
Dutch is banks.

Banks is life.