unplayable lag

General forum about Age of Empires 3 DE. Please post strategy threads, recorded games, user-created content and tech support threads in their respective forum.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

unplayable lag

Post by giveuanxiety »

I have been wanting to play and enjoy aoe3, but every game and stream is extremely frustrating due to unplayable lag. I tried to uninstall the game multiple times without improvement, turning all graphics to lowest. Still get this snail symbol. The game will be fine 90% of the time then there are 5 seconds I have like no signal and cant do anything and the game teleports me 5 seconds forward.
Dunno if any way to fix, I'm pretty feed up and ready to quit.
Attachments
aoe3 lag.PNG
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Re: unplayable lag

Post by Rohbrot »

giveuanxiety wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 17:22
I have been wanting to play and enjoy aoe3, but every game and stream is extremely frustrating due to unplayable lag. I tried to uninstall the game multiple times without improvement, turning all graphics to lowest. Still get this snail symbol. The game will be fine 90% of the time then there are 5 seconds I have like no signal and cant do anything and the game teleports me 5 seconds forward.
Never seen the snail, but rather the tortoise for 1-2 secs every game which is not causing any lag at all.
Idk if its cuz you have to play on east india Servers which would maybe be over 200ms for you. You could Look at the ms when creating a lobby game to see if uts cause of that.
Spain pain train is real
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

check your hotkey conflicts. try to keep attack move as its own key, idk
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Germany moonshine
Skirmisher

Post by moonshine »

idk i watched your streams a lot and i saw some things which i wanna share with you and might be located on your side. If you press attack move you click sometimes on buildings or on a single Unit but then your attack move isnt working. Also if you are close to buildings or walls you just shouldnt use attack move since your units might randomly starting to attack buildings.
Especially if you switch formations and stances you have to make sure that you get a proper move with clicking on the ground/bottom. When i switch stances especially going in melee i just dont click close to my units i just click behind my line to make really sure that they just start attack from melee.
Also in general maybe copy the current hotkeys and play around with them and bind the attack move to something which is more clear.

About the lag spikes - Well it is what it is, if you play something from South East Asia, China or something similar your game lags sometimes. Its just like that but usually it does not happen that much and if you get the snail symbol it means actually that you have a really bad connection just simple as it is. I live in a small village where we still dont have fiber glas or something like that i basically never have lag spikes which are coming from the game besides playing someone really far away which is the reason or my bad connection... Idk how to fix that but also for Soldier at least from what i have seen it did work in the last streams... I just think you need to play a bit more and get some good games and getting back to a decent elo where you can enjoy a bit more.

Also as a last one maybe try the default settings and then try out when you did play some games to play a bit with the settings, your stream for example is also inconsistent when you move the camera which is not because of AOE3 seems more like a set up issue...

i hope you keep going and play from time to time
Israel Struggling Hedonist
Crossbow
ESO: LoveIsreal

Post by Struggling Hedonist »

giveuanxiety wrote:
Seems like a me-problem.
Australia LopsidedFluff
Crossbow

Post by LopsidedFluff »

I don't think it's a game issue but probably more an internet issue. I live in aus and never have any lag. Only issue I do have is when i play with people in euro the ping is horrible but thats given since they are on the other side of the world
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Post by LazarosVas »

giveuanxiety wrote:
First of all its really nice to see you back playing aoe 3.

Secondly why dont you maybe ask your brother about this? He doesnt seem to have the same issues as you have currently.

As others stated I think its a internet issue but no idea how I can help.

Anyway glad to have you back dont give up on the game! Hopefully u can find a fix soone enough.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

yeah there were bugs previously where some keys could freeze your game, i guess this is not new
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

thats a problem in your internet
try fix it and enjoy the game again
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

It could be pc related for some configs (hazza sometimes) but seeing yours, it's most likely a net issue
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

the snail icon will immediately show up when someone resigns. It happened 3/3 games for me on stream, but I had no lag in-game and 0.0% frames dropped in obs.
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

The snail just means you have high latency to the server you're playing on. That can be caused by your net/pc not connecting fine or simply by the distance from the server.
When facing someone from a distant country you often end up playing on "his" server, hence the lag. I think the closer server is attributed to whoever Qed first but I'm not sure. It might be a compromise between two locations but even then there isn't usually a mid point between continents so one player will always have the closer server.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Tough to play a competitive RTS competitively with unplayable lag