Spain: Age 3 Cards questions

India _DB_
Howdah

Spain: Age 3 Cards questions

Post by _DB_ »

1. Is it worth it to have the 10 Pikemen card in Age 3?

I have always had it for the aggressive FF back on RE. But I was wondering if it is any good on DE considering we are having Spanish Gold in deck.

2. Which is a more useful mercenary card?
12 Swiss Pikemen or 9 Highlanders

Back on RE, after losing the 2 falconets, the 9 Highlanders card have often saved me the game especially against Japan.
But I really find the 12 Swiss Pikemen card very good too but I'm confused when are they better than 9 Highlanders.
Should we even have mercs cards at all

3. The 4 Hussar card. Does it deserve space in the deck for any Spain FF?

4. This one is stupid. 1000 coin vs 1000 wood. Which is a better card to have? (This question maybe relevant to many civs)
Edit: Spain doesn't have 1000 coin as ovi pointed out. So the coin ques would rather be relevant to other civs only.
For Spain, 1000 food vs 1000 wood.

Although I believe 1000c is great when having merc card or for making cannons
But I'm always in dilemma to use 1000w for TC/TPs or 1000c for cannons/mercs.

5. Fort card vs Refrigeration/Royal Mint.

It's a bad comparison but I wish to hear your thoughts on which card deserves space.
I've seen many players use Fort card on sea maps or for doing industrial builds.
But I've also seen people calling it a bad shipment. What's your opinion?
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: Spain: Age 3 Cards questions

Post by Jaeger »

Spain doesnt have 1000c so that ones easy
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

4. You always need to send 1000w simply because you don't have a good way of getting wood unless you've already stagecoached. And even if you want to make cannons (not advised), you are going to need that wood for a foundary, houses, and wood for artillery.

3. You want lancer cards and probably 5 hus. 4 hus would be a bit all in, rather have some longer term cards in your deck.

1. You probably want to transition to rods instead of sticking with pikes. Having 8 pike as a backup should suffice.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

I say just put whatever you want and play the game. Then you will see if you wish you had 10 pike, or if you wish you had 4 huss, etc
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

ovi12 wrote:Spain doesnt have 1000c so that ones easy
Shit I just noticed.
Thanks for pointing out. I'll edit the question to make it 1000 food instead.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

5. Refrigeration + Royal Mint >>>> Fort
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

yea the answer is to play the game and find out. but my spain ff deck is usually 12 pikes, 2 falcs, 8, 9 rods, 5 lancers, 4 lancers, cav combat, spanish gold, 1k wood, rod combat. i think that's the max limit? id have to double check. i guess you can replace 12 pikes with refrigeration or caballeros if you want; i find that i really like 12 pikes for the early push even tho apparently its not optimal, since i usually try to train only skirms as long as i can get away with it
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I usually feel cards like refrigeration are overrated in 1v1, at least for most players.

How often do you reach a point where you want to and can send it? And even in those cases, how often have you already lost the game anyway (if you're eg mid-early lategame vs Brit and he has 20 more vills, sending refrig won't change the outcome).

Maybe this is different for more boomy top level games, but aside from that I feel you want to end the game earlier.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Astaroth wrote:I usually feel cards like refrigeration are overrated in 1v1, at least for most players.

How often do you reach a point where you want to and can send it? And even in those cases, how often have you already lost the game anyway (if you're eg mid-early lategame vs Brit and he has 20 more vills, sending refrig won't change the outcome).

Maybe this is different for more boomy top level games, but aside from that I feel you want to end the game earlier.
I feel the same.

Refrigeration is nearly equivalent to 7 villagers card only when you have 30 villagers on food.
I guess it's worth sending when you have like more than 60-70 villagers total.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Yea I wouldn't recommend you to hav any eco card in age 3, if you want to send one you have eco theory, which should be about as good as refrigeration or royal mint in most cases. As for other cards, I suppose if you like the all in builds with 2 early falcs, then the pike shipments are useful, otherwise I wouldn't include them. I like to always have my 9 & 8 rods as well as 5 & 4 Lancers, rod combat 2 Falcs and 1k wood. The cav upgrades are only worth it, if you're playing vs a civ that likes to mass musk or smth similar. I personally don't like lancers vs skirm goon civs, but more a skirm rod art combo. Skirm rod lancer works fine vs skirm goon in lower numbers perhaps, at that point you don't want to be sending upgrades anyways tho. Span gold is also a good card to have, but I also like to have deck variations without (sometimes you know you'll be playing aggro, and won't get to send it). As for mercs, they're all kind of fine I suppose.
Image Image
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

My standar age 3 deck :
9/8 rod, 5 lancer 5 hussard, cc, caba, inf c, 2 falc, 1kw, spanish gold

To me it's the best. I don't like 12 pik because when you send it, most of the time my rod are in the same grp and i don't want 12 pik which slow them (so i prefer 8 vet rodo). 5 hussard is just superior to 4 lancer.

I have one deck with 1 falc because in aggro play 3 falc can be insane (spain mirror for exemple, maybe againt dutch because you don't want 5 lancer/cav vs full ruyter).

I have a deck for each merc, but i have never found a situation where it's worth to play with them.
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

chronique wrote:My standar age 3 deck :
9/8 rod, 5 lancer 5 hussard, cc, caba, inf c, 2 falc, 1kw, spanish gold

To me it's the best. I don't like 12 pik because when you send it, most of the time my rod are in the same grp and i don't want 12 pik which slow them (so i prefer 8 vet rodo). 5 hussard is just superior to 4 lancer.

I have one deck with 1 falc because in aggro play 3 falc can be insane (spain mirror for exemple, maybe againt dutch because you don't want 5 lancer/cav vs full ruyter).

I have a deck for each merc, but i have never found a situation where it's worth to play with them.
1k food was a card that i wanted in my deck on a map where u have 1 herdable hunt.
Spain pain train is real
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

I don't like 1k f, it's an age 2 shipement, 600w have the same value age 3. I had 1k f in my anti sioux deck, but not anymore, i think it's just a bad shipement you never want send.
No Flag draztik
Skirmisher
ESO: DrAzTiK

Post by draztik »

As for me, I also never put economic cards in my spanish decks.

I rarely use cards witch improves HP and attack of military units because spain units are not "multipurpose" even if you use these cards. With spain, a better strategy is maybe to use differents mix of units along the game in order to "surprise" your opponent. Caba looks quite decent thought, I may add it to my decks.

CM can be usefull, always in my deck.

Advanced tp : interesting card of course.

The fort is not mandatory but I like it, always in my deck but I think I should not.

I like the 1falc card, this card is quite underestimated I think because falc is your main age III power against many civs who play age II or try to rush you ( spain, jap, britt, russians etc..)

Spain rarely go age 4 (it depends your playstyle maybe). I am still not sure about what kind of age 4 cards can be usefull. ( depend if you want to revo or not surely). If you don't play age 4, you can even don't have age 4 cards in your deck.

As for me, I like the 1k food...You can loose map control and 1k food can allow you to make units and experience by making units etc...

Many water cards are interesting with spain but shooner is curiously not interesting. I think there is no eco or semi-FF build order viable with shooner. ( in another hand, you can boom tp quite correctly with spain)
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Doesn't Advanced TP suck in DE? With the changes it seems kind of bad.
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

aaryngend wrote:Doesn't Advanced TP suck in DE? With the changes it seems kind of bad.
I think if you tp first with spain you can send atp after 3 vili
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

chronique wrote:
aaryngend wrote:Doesn't Advanced TP suck in DE? With the changes it seems kind of bad.
Then use the 400 age up wood and a 700w shipment to get TPs #2-4?
France chronique
Advanced Player

Post by chronique »

aaryngend wrote:
chronique wrote:
400w age up :P

Na you can take 2 more tp then ff then SC with 700w after 700g
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

chronique wrote:
aaryngend wrote:
Show hidden quotes
400w age up :P

Na you can take 2 more tp then ff then SC with 700w after 700g
Oh right they don't have a 400w age up :blush:
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher
ESO: Efraín

Post by Efraín »

Is there a really competitive strategy with Spain that is not always ff?
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

Efraín wrote:Is there a really competitive strategy with Spain that is not always ff?
There is revolt!
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher

Post by Efraín »

Black_Duck wrote:
Efraín wrote:Is there a really competitive strategy with Spain that is not always ff?
There is revolt!
With the nonexistent 1000 coin card?

If you hope Spanish Gold card to FI, you'll have problems.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

You can totally FI with Spanish Gold :nwc: :cry:

Some people like to semi ff or rush like poissondu but it's not really good.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Black_Duck wrote:
There is revolt!
Is it still as stronk?
Spain Efraín
Skirmisher

Post by Efraín »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:You can totally FI with Spanish Gold :nwc: :cry:

Some people like to semi ff or rush like poissondu but it's not really good.
But you have to spend 2 cards i suppose (600c + spanish gold), i dont usually see it in competitive.