Has anyone tried the new Sweden?

India Veer_84
Musketeer

Has anyone tried the new Sweden?

Post by Veer_84 »

Has anyone tried the new Sweden? What has been your experience? Still Overpowered or under-powered. Since the Torp hp is nerfed, I'm thinking of including Improved Buildings in my deck. Which build order do you follow?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Re: Has anyone tried the new Sweden?

Post by aaryngend »

I refuse to play a civ that does not have access to infinite mamelukes anymore.
Improved buildings why? Just use Dominions! Much more userful and your Torps get +30 10% HP, it's also available in age 2 again.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

+10%
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

callentournies wrote:+10%
Oh right, forgot that that got nerfed too. They aren't even back to their pre-patch HP with the card.
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

aaryngend wrote: Improved buildings why? Just use Dominions! Much more userful and your Torps get +30 10% HP, it's also available in age 2 again.
I do send Dominions first in Age 2. But the problem is that Torp Hp has been reduced by 200 points. Earlier, they were 1500 Hp, now they are 1300 HP. Even with Dominions, their HP increases to 1430. Still lower than 1500 HP. I don't know how fast they'll go down now. Two seconds, three seconds or ...

So I'm experimenting with sending Improved Buildings right after Dominions. That takes the Torp Hp to 1900 Hp making them significantly harder to destroy and giving you enough time to either send your troops to defend your torps or rebuild on some other mine.

Not only that, Improved Buildings affect all your buildings protecting you from hard rushes or timing pushes in mid-game when you're aging to Age 4.

So I'm experimenting with a new build order where I send the cards in the following order in Age 2:

Dominions + Improved Buildings + Engelsberg Ironworks + Blueberries

Why Improved Buildings after Dominions? Because I'm expecting my opponents to start burning down my Torps as early as possible so better to send Improved Buildings earlier than later.

If you have any thoughts, let me know. :smile:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Don't do that. You can't really afford to send Dominions+Improved buildings. You need resource crates and Torp ugprades (gathering etc.), maybe even military shipments.
Best way to defend torps is by massing an army. Because of the changes you can't just max torps from the start anymore and you need to actually balance between booming and surviving early pressure.

Sending all those cards will only make your torps last a little longer at best.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

Shitter build
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Improved buildings is an utter waste of a card solely for torps. Instead you could send a unit shipment to prevent your opponent from taking down torps or simply 700/600 wood to build new torps. With improved buildings you just wait 3-6 seconds more before the building goes down.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

aaryngend wrote:Don't do that. You can't really afford to send Dominions+Improved buildings. You need resource crates and Torp ugprades (gathering etc.), maybe even military shipments.
Best way to defend torps is by massing an army. Because of the changes you can't just max torps from the start anymore and you need to actually balance between booming and surviving early pressure.

Okay, makes sense. So I'll be sending Dominions + Ironworks + Blueberries while training Caroleans/Hussars. That's the build I was follwing pre-patch (700 wood + Ironworks + Blueberries).
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

Is TP or a church a must now instead of going full torp boom from start?
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

I can't imagine how Sweden can hold the Hausa rush.
No Flag Narida
Musketeer
ESO: Narida

Post by Narida »

Bro I wouldnt be too worried about civ balance of thats your build
Canada klonko
Skirmisher
ESO: klonko

Post by klonko »

Veer_84 wrote:
aaryngend wrote:Don't do that. You can't really afford to send Dominions+Improved buildings. You need resource crates and Torp ugprades (gathering etc.), maybe even military shipments.

Okay, makes sense. So I'll be sending Dominions + Ironworks + Blueberries while training Caroleans/Hussars. That's the build I was follwing pre-patch (700 wood + Ironworks + Blueberries).
Pretty sure 700w + iron works+ blueberries with no vills on wood is the optimal build. You have good eco (not a full torp boom) but you have so much military that it allow to pressure opponent and just boom behind. You can 2 rax earlier too.
Great Britain LionHeart
Skirmisher
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by LionHeart »

They seem significantly slower, I still think they will do well but due to having a couple of now unwinnable MU's they aren't a great quick search 1v1 civ.

Best build order in my opinion currently:
3 vil > Dominions > 700w (gathered by torps) > blueberries > 700g/ironworks/leather cannons depending on the situation.
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

LionHeart wrote:They seem significantly slower, I still think they will do well but due to having a couple of now unwinnable MU's they aren't a great quick search 1v1 civ.
Which matchups do you think are unwinnable now? Probably Hausa and Ethiopia? Anything else?
Great Britain LionHeart
Skirmisher
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by LionHeart »

Veer_84 wrote:
LionHeart wrote:They seem significantly slower, I still think they will do well but due to having a couple of now unwinnable MU's they aren't a great quick search 1v1 civ.
Which matchups do you think are unwinnable now? Probably Hausa and Ethiopia? Anything else?
India, China, both new african civs, and brits. Maybe Japan as well.

This is just my opinion and may change if better build orders come out.
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

Okay, just tested a few games against the Extreme AI. You can no longer go to Age 4. That's now a pipe dream. Your economy isn't large enough for any Age 4 game play.

A few weeks ago, I was having a blast crushing the Extreme AI with Age 4 Guard Caroleans + Svea Lifeguard + Mamelukes. But now the AI simply crushes me if I try to do that. Earlier, I could have 30 Veteran Caroleans + 2 Falconets (sometimes even two more Leather Cannons) and still be reaching Age 4 by 14:30 minutes. Now, I can barely reach Age 4 by 24:30 minutes.

And my 20 Guard Caroleans with Svea Lifeguard died to 50 Guard Cassadors, 4 Organ Guns and 2 Culverins and I didn't have the economy to either send 6 Mamelukes or have a shipment ready to do so.

The developers have ensured that Sweden has a hard time reaching Age 4 and the rewards aren't great anymore.

Looks like Sweden is back to playing Age 2 and Age 3. I'm watching Aussie Drongo's earlier videos where he played Age 2 Sweden. Probably that becomes relevant again. We'll need to test this out.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Veer_84 wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was having a blast crushing the Extreme AI with Age 4 Guard Caroleans + Svea Lifeguard + Mamelukes. But now the AI simply crushes me if I try to do that.
good
India Veer_84
Musketeer

Post by Veer_84 »

Squamiger wrote:
Veer_84 wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was having a blast crushing the Extreme AI with Age 4 Guard Caroleans + Svea Lifeguard + Mamelukes. But now the AI simply crushes me if I try to do that.
good
Ha, ha, ha! :uglylol:
No Flag hidden_blaze
Musketeer

Post by hidden_blaze »

Veer_84 wrote:
And my 20 Guard Caroleans with Svea Lifeguard died to 50 Guard Cassadors, 4 Organ Guns and 2 Culverins and I didn't have the economy to either send 6 Mamelukes or have a shipment ready to do so.
This should be patched probably. 20 Guard caroleans should obviously crush that. Also the 50 cassador 4 organ gun BO of ports is becoming unbearable, nerf pls.

In all honesty, for me the Swedes seem a lot better now, with a weaker boom that lasts longer, which is a really good adjustment imo It nerfs them in the first like 15 minutes, but also provides them with resources for their torps for a prolonged time so they don't have that problem when all their mines start running out around that time.

I think svea Lifeguard may still be problematic since I don't think musks should have range resist at all (desert warriors again show us why), and I'm still no friend of Sweden using caroleans as a unit for everything and don't go for an actual composition.

Overall I think the patch was decent though, maybe a bit more fine tuning in the coming patches and they might end up fine.