Can someone help me with Ethiopia? A general help

Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Can someone help me with Ethiopia? A general help

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Ok. Can someone help me? I have no idea what's the standard build order because I rarely see people playing.Furthermore I still feel that Africans are not as popular as Legacy and D.E ( up to USA).

So this is what I do:
I keep training bills and sell a cow to build a house and use the hunting upgrade
I make the transition with 15-16 vills;
shift 10 of them to wood in order to build a house;
Age up with Sudan;
I ship Jesuit influence and then 700w;
I may have redirected vills to coin and/or food, it really depends on the flow;
I gather the influence from the age up to use Sudanese red sea wagon at my Mountain Monastery (gives me 2 wagons which I use for a TP and a Barracks);
I either start training Gascenya and/or Javelin Rider with Sudanese Dervish with the rest of the influence;
The next cards depends on the flow of the match. It's generally 4 vills;

I like this civ but I'm kind of lost. I'm always late and I rarely can keep up the pace.
Also my Mountain Monastery are drained rather fast with 75/25% in long Commerce Age games, I feel that the card the make them last longer doesn't make much of a difference.
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Re: Can someone help me with Ethiopia? A general help

Post by Thrar »

Around 1400 I used to do this:
  • Sell cow for 150w to get house and hunting
  • Send 2 vils plus abun, sell another cow to have the abun build monastery immediately, set to 100% coin
  • Age up with 300c and war camp
  • In transition, chop for second monastery (build with abun) and a house, with good treasures also second hunt upgrade
In age 2 you then have a few options:
  • Greedy: Send 700w and spend the 300c plus what your abun gathered on more abuns, make gascenya to defend, add in second war camp and mix gascenya/shotel once coin builds up.
  • FF: Send 700c and age up.
  • Timing: Send gascenya and shotel, spend the coin on shotel, vils on food/wood for gascenya.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Age up with Sudan, big benny, 700 influence, Gascenya+dervish+shotel, attack-move, win.
If he doesn't quit, send 2nd big benny, age up, cannon, attack-move, win.
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

fei123456 wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 11:32
Age up with Sudan, big benny, 700 influence, Gascenya+dervish+shotel, attack-move, win.
Big Benny is worth 1100 res lol
Rainbow Land Afroholic
Crossbow
ESO: Afroholic

Post by Afroholic »

If you choose 200 influence card as your first pick (starting with 1 tp + 1 rax) does it bad effect of your tempo ?
fei123456 wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 11:32
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

DNLgibraltar wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 10:08
Ok. Can someone help me? I have no idea what's the standard build order because I rarely see people playing.
viewtopic.php?t=24107
Image Image Image
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

thank you all

I'll try out this build. I feel they are rich in possibilities but I can't quite figure it out which ones are the best ones.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Garja wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 14:22
DNLgibraltar wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 10:08
Ok. Can someone help me? I have no idea what's the standard build order because I rarely see people playing.
viewtopic.php?t=24107
can confirm, this is the build that gives you the most tempo early, since you can train units out of two buildings at once pretty consistently for a few batches + shipping dervishes. The only problem with this build is that it feels pretty vulnerable to mass light infantry in age 2, or cannons in age 3, when you only really have shotels to counter those things. The other thing I am currently working on is trying to figure out how to adapt this build to aging to 3/4 faster, or just playing more greedy/eco oriented in general, since the civ feels like a 1-trick pony at the moment, where this is the only viable build, albeit one that works pretty well. My first thought is to replace the 600 influence crate (sent 2nd in age 2) with big benny to age faster, or jesuit influence to play greedier.

some other things I've been learning as I've experimented with Ethiopia:

1. you pretty much can ignore all the influence improvements in the mountain monastery until late game, except for Kebra Nagast, your fast age. If you want to age to 3 its nice to make sure you have 450 influence stacked up to age fast; you get this by putting your TP on influence or shifting some vills to the mountain monastery.
2. if you want to age to 3, go for Jesuits every time; the 600 xp crates when you hit up are so nice, and let you keep your tempo / defend by sending the big boy mortar, gascenya, or 1k influence + sennars.
3. when you have your mortar, pull your abuns to heal it in combat. people will try to focus it down with ranged units and just delete their army
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 19:32

can confirm, this is the build that gives you the most tempo early, since you can train units out of two buildings at once pretty consistently for a few batches + shipping dervishes. The only problem with this build is that it feels pretty vulnerable to mass light infantry in age 2, or cannons in age 3, when you only really have shotels to counter those things. The other thing I am currently working on is trying to figure out how to adapt this build to aging to 3/4 faster, or just playing more greedy/eco oriented in general, since the civ feels like a 1-trick pony at the moment, where this is the only viable build, albeit one that works pretty well. My first thought is to replace the 600 influence crate (sent 2nd in age 2) with big benny to age faster, or jesuit influence to play greedier.
FF and semi FF shouldn't be a problem. With such mass of high dps units you should be able to crush both. And if you're unsure you're able to crush you can go back and play the midgame with nice mass and a good follow up.
Also can abort the timing push and use the big benny to age up (700influence 600f big benny).
Image Image Image
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

14 Apr 2022, 21:20
14 Apr 2022, 19:32

FF and semi FF shouldn't be a problem. With such mass of high dps units you should be able to crush both. And if you're unsure you're able to crush you can go back and play the midgame with nice mass and a good follow up.
Also can abort the timing push and use the big benny to age up (700influence 600f big benny).
i dont mean countering semiff and ff, I mean turning your build into those builds for myself, unless maybe I misunderstood you
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Hmm actually I assumed that vulnerable vs cannons meant facing an FF or semi FF. I guess you just meant vs cannons and mass RI in general.
Cannons could potentially be a problem but most of times you can play around that without a direct counter. In age3 you have strong cav (with ranged attack) and javs and all units have more hp so it's rare to find yourself in a situation where cannons puts you in check. Also you have a piece of artillery yourself so you can get free shots vs infantry and then sac some of your army in return to kill the opponent falcs, trading basically even. Not to mention eventually you can just get culvs from palace.
Vs RI in age2 you just bully it with your mass (quite annoying to kite gascenya and dervish) and in age3 vs skirms you have skirms yourself as well as a good cav unit (apparently Oromo don't get extra damage from skirms).
Image Image Image
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Cannons don't really hold Ethiopia mass infantry. Their damage are too scary in melee fights, and your units to protect cannons can't stand for seconds.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cannons are good vs Ethiopia lol
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

15 Apr 2022, 00:02
Hmm actually I assumed that vulnerable vs cannons meant facing an FF or semi FF. I guess you just meant vs cannons and mass RI in general.
Cannons could potentially be a problem but most of times you can play around that without a direct counter. In age3 you have strong cav (with ranged attack) and javs and all units have more hp so it's rare to find yourself in a situation where cannons puts you in check. Also you have a piece of artillery yourself so you can get free shots vs infantry and then sac some of your army in return to kill the opponent falcs, trading basically even. Not to mention eventually you can just get culvs from palace.
Vs RI in age2 you just bully it with your mass (quite annoying to kite gascenya and dervish) and in age3 vs skirms you have skirms yourself as well as a good cav unit (apparently Oromo don't get extra damage from skirms).
yea i really haven't experimented with the cav side of ethiopia at all. right now I'm just enjoying that you can research 1 upgrade to get vet shotels, gascenya and skirm. but i should try oromo and jav cav I guess.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

gibson wrote: ↑
15 Apr 2022, 01:34
can confirm, just lost two games to mass cannons in age 3. sure you can steamroll a 2 falc shipment, but 4-5 cannons behind infantry is quite difficult for ethiopia. \your own artillery shipment is dogshit vs. artillery, so you basically have to surround / sacrifice your melee cav / shotels and that just doestn work vs. 4-5falcs. also I tried somali daroods, and they just dont have enough damage. i had like 8-10 of them and they dont even 1 shot a falc i dont think.

thats why i'm thikning ethiopia play should involve the palace + 300 export shipment 100% of the time if you are going to age 3. then 1k influence + euro cannons.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Thrar wrote: ↑
14 Apr 2022, 10:29
Around 1400 I used to do this:
  • Sell cow for 150w to get house and hunting
  • Send 2 vils plus abun, sell another cow to have the abun build monastery immediately, set to 100% coin
  • Age up with 300c and war camp
  • In transition, chop for second monastery (build with abun) and a house, with good treasures also second hunt upgrade
In age 2 you then have a few options:
  • Greedy: Send 700w and spend the 300c plus what your abun gathered on more abuns, make gascenya to defend, add in second war camp and mix gascenya/shotel once coin builds up.
  • FF: Send 700c and age up.
  • Timing: Send gascenya and shotel, spend the coin on shotel, vils on food/wood for gascenya.
so you're telling me you end up with 3 monasteries in age 2? (1 from age up, 2 built?) what's the point of that? they don't do anything on their own, right, you need abuns/vills to gather from them, so why make more than 1?
No Flag DragonFruit
Crossbow

Post by DragonFruit »

15 Apr 2022, 05:00
so you're telling me you end up with 3 monasteries in age 2? (1 from age up, 2 built?) what's the point of that? they don't do anything on their own, right, you need abuns/vills to gather from them, so why make more than 1?
Monasteries gather on their own with a base rate of 0.72 resources a second and I think they scale with market techs. Though they are only 30w cheaper then a tp which can provide more influence so I personally think tps in transition may be better than monasteries.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

i did not know that
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

I like the 3 monasteries to go for an abun boom and get 9 or so extra villagers equivalent for 600c 340w right at the start of age 2. I usually keep them on mostly coin except when getting ready to fast age. The abuns and monasteries alone finance the coin portion of constant shotel production.

I'm sure two monasteries and a TP works too. When going for influence it might be the better choice, although since I tend to age up with 300c I don't have the dervish option and don't see much use for large amounts of influence.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

15 Apr 2022, 04:22
gibson wrote: ↑
15 Apr 2022, 01:34
can confirm, just lost two games to mass cannons in age 3. sure you can steamroll a 2 falc shipment, but 4-5 cannons behind infantry is quite difficult for ethiopia. \your own artillery shipment is dogshit vs. artillery, so you basically have to surround / sacrifice your melee cav / shotels and that just doestn work vs. 4-5falcs. also I tried somali daroods, and they just dont have enough damage. i had like 8-10 of them and they dont even 1 shot a falc i dont think.

thats why i'm thikning ethiopia play should involve the palace + 300 export shipment 100% of the time if you are going to age 3. then 1k influence + euro cannons.
I think it depends a lot on how the game plays out. By that reasoning Iro should also be weak vs artillery but they can play around it. And ethiopia has many more ways to deal with artillery.
Image Image Image