Can we just have more casual match-up of the month threads?

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Can we just have more casual match-up of the month threads?

Post by Squamiger »

I miss this from legacy. I feel like it stopped because it's a lot of work to organize. But what if we just had a very low-stakes version of this thread, where we decide on a MU, discuss it in the thread, and then vote on the next month's? Better something than nothing at all
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Can we just have more casual match-up of the month threads?

Post by musketeer925 »

Thoughts on a bot that picks two random civs and posts a thread?

There's now 441 possible match-ups (unless I'm forgetting a civ), so repeats should be rare enough to not even make it worry about what was previously posted.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

if we started a MU of the month now lol
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

musketeer925 wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2022, 17:50

There's now 441 possible match-ups (unless I'm forgetting a civ), so repeats should be rare enough to not even make it worry about what was previously posted.
i like the idea of a bot picking a matchup, but not posting the thread. I wonder if people would just glaze over / ignore a bot posting something. it might have more engagement if there was some buy in from community members who make the post. i wouldnt mind helping with this. don't even really need a bot, you can just use a random number generator in excel to select two civs randomly every time. There's 20 civs, so we can have ten months of threads without repeating a civ once.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

United States mirror, go!
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

The immediate problems that I predict to occur are finding players, fixing a proper timeslot, and having someone available to stream/cast. These were the main concerns for ESOC streams in general
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

BrookG wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2022, 20:28
The immediate problems that I predict to occur are finding players, fixing a proper timeslot, and having someone available to stream/cast. These were the main concerns for ESOC streams in general
thats what I said initially, we dont necessarily need to have these things. i just liked having a thread where people could discuss the matchup, whether or not we find people to play the mu. to me that would be better than nothing at all.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Squamiger wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2022, 19:35

i like the idea of a bot picking a matchup, but not posting the thread. I wonder if people would just glaze over / ignore a bot posting something. it might have more engagement if there was some buy in from community members who make the post. i wouldnt mind helping with this. don't even really need a bot, you can just use a random number generator in excel to select two civs randomly every time. There's 20 civs, so we can have ten months of threads without repeating a civ once.
I mean, yeah, there's nothing stopping you from taking up the torch and posting a MU of the month thread with some random civs.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

The problem with a MU of the month is that with so many civs you will wait for ever to see a MU which interest you...

What if instead we did a "civ of the month" ? That way everyone will at least have a civ they like every other month.
We could do a thread were people can upload recs and discuss the BOs and MUs for the civ. At the end of the month we would have someone cast a selection of the best 4-6 games (with maybe a small cash prize for the games that make the cut to keep things interesting).

(I can help with the organisation a bit and may seed a cash prize for the first month if enough people show interest).
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Le Hussard sur le toit wrote: ↑
20 Apr 2022, 22:05
The problem with a MU of the month is that with so many civs you will wait for ever to see a MU which interest you...

What if instead we did a "civ of the month" ? That way everyone will at least have a civ they like every other month.
We could do a thread were people can upload recs and discuss the BOs and MUs for the civ. At the end of the month we would have someone cast a selection of the best 4-6 games (with maybe a small cash prize for the games that make the cut to keep things interesting).

(I can help with the organisation a bit and may seed a cash prize for the first month if enough people show interest).
I don't understand tho, with a civ of the month you would potentially have to wait for 20 months to see the civ you want; with a matchup of the month you would only have to potentially wait 10 months to see your favorite civ
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

I feel like most people here are generally interested in having some level of understanding of most civs? You don't have to play a civ for understanding that civ to be useful.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You mean 210? (which is too much already tbh)
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

I think he meant 231.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

20 Apr 2022, 21:08
thats what I said initially, we dont necessarily need to have these things. i just liked having a thread where people could discuss the matchup, whether or not we find people to play the mu. to me that would be better than nothing at all.
If that's the case, then it could even be weekly. Especially now the civs are much more.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Realife_Brahmin wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2022, 01:19
I think he meant 231.
That would be with 21 civs, not 20
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Kaiser has the right number.
Basically you get 20 Mus for your first civ, then 19 for the second civ (excluding the 1-2 MU we already have), then 18 for the third civ (excluding MUs with 1 and 2), and so on.

So the total is 20+19+18...+1 = (20*21)/2=210.
(General formula is n(n+1)/2 for the sum of the first n integers).

As a maths teacher I highly recommand checking your formula on low numbers - typically 3-4 - where you can manually list every single possibility.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher

21 Apr 2022, 09:58
As a maths teacher I highly recommend checking your formula on low numbers - typically 3-4 - where you can manually list every single possibility.
I fully agree with you.
I just used nC2 + n to get my result, the first term representing distinct civs and the second term accommodating the mirrors (where n is the number of civs in the civ pool)
I used n = 21 in order to arrive at 231 as that's what the total number of civs will be soon as per the teasers.
However, if we use n = 20 (which is just as sensible, since that's what we currently have), we'd certainly get 210.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher

Basically you get 20 Mus for your first civ, then 19 for the second civ (excluding the 1-2 MU we already have), then 18 for the third civ (excluding MUs with 1 and 2), and so on.
I think your answers (based on different assumptions) are coincident by chance. Kaiser seems to have calculated the number of matchups for 20 civs (including mirrors) whereas you seem to have calculated the number of non-mirror matchups for 21 civs.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that the number itself will surely change given the eagerness of devs to put out new unneeded stuff out there. What we as a community would ideally like is to make a start in making and engaging in such mu threads and not be discouraged by the sheer number of such possible threads. I would have started one right now if I was any better than the garbage player I am.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

21 Apr 2022, 11:50
I think your answers (based on different assumptions) are coincident by chance. Kaiser seems to have calculated the number of matchups for 20 civs (including mirrors) whereas you seem to have calculated the number of non-mirror matchups for 21 civs.
I actually used the 1 + 2 + ... + n = n(n + 1)/2 formula too, it's the fastest and easiest (especially because you'll always have either n or n+1 being an even number, so you can divide it by 2, and then it's just ez, 10 * 21 = 210). This is a classic problematic, just like how many handshakes you have between n people, or how many series will be played in a pool, etc.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

20 Apr 2022, 22:57
I feel like most people here are generally interested in having some level of understanding of most civs? You don't have to play a civ for understanding that civ to be useful.
i have no interest in ever playing mexico but i would love insight into how to play that matchup. stupid dumpster fire civ
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

21 Apr 2022, 06:18
20 Apr 2022, 21:08
If that's the case, then it could even be weekly. Especially now the civs are much more.
im gonna make a post and see how it goes
Howdah

21 Apr 2022, 11:50
There are no assumptions to make and any valid method need to yield the same result ! My computation is for 20 civs, mirrors included.
Howdah

20 Apr 2022, 22:39

I don't understand tho, with a civ of the month you would potentially have to wait for 20 months to see the civ you want; with a matchup of the month you would only have to potentially wait 10 months to see your favorite civ
1) most people are interested in more than one civ.
2) I think there are more chances to generate a significant volume of comments with a less restrictive subject.
3) Casting 6 times the same MU can be a bit tiresome.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

dansil92 wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2022, 13:34
20 Apr 2022, 22:57
i have no interest in ever playing mexico but i would love insight into how to play that matchup. stupid dumpster fire civ
same but also with African civs and USA. ngl I didn't even know off the top of my head how many total civs we have now
20 Apr 2022, 22:39

I imagine by looking at a civ of the month, you would look at all possible matchups for that civ, meaning you would see your favorite civ every month.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

rsy wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2022, 17:25

I imagine by looking at a civ of the month, you would look at all possible matchups for that civ, meaning you would see your favorite civ every month.
Oh I get it now. Yea, but see I feel like this is just too close to being a civ guide, which is fine but not what I am after, since lots of civ guides already exist. i want to restart the threads that look at specific matchups in depth.