Learning the French

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Learning the French

Post by Garja »

Seriously tho, vs a good Aztec player you're not going to do damage at all. In fact you just feed him units while also having a low eco build. That's not where Aztecs struggle.
Image Image Image
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

what about an age 2 timing w musk/xbow/huss though? I feel like that usually works vs this firepit laming. if i wait till age 3 i feel like the aztec base is too secure / the boom is too far along, hard to stop them from massing or going age 4
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Garja wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 13:26
I would not suggest to pressure Aztecs in age2 when they're WP booming. Just do greedy FF/semi FF.
There's no reason that Aztec can do a NAKED wp boom while you cannot raid him. You can't be as greedy as 10wp 5v semiFF, unless you are playing Brit/Dutch.

If Aztec send 2 warhut travois, age ii pressure is likely to fail. But most Aztec lamers just have nothing but a plaza in home, and hussar+xbow can drive his units into TC for a long time.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Wasn't it exactly vs you on RE qs on Sonora that I held your Russia rush with 10wp defense + counter push?
Aztec 10WP is one of the most turtly strats in the game and there is simply nothing in the game anymore that can do significant damage without getting punished by a counter push either in age2 or after Aztec age up.
The best thing to do is apply some sort of pressure with few units just to delay the build while booming yourself. Aztec WP strats are usually not eco heavy. They rely on shipments like FF/FI strats. Greedy play which keep up with Aztec tech level (e.g. sometimes you want to go industrial yourself to match the FI) is the correct way to go. Of course you can win in other ways if the Aztec player makes mistakes but that's not a sound theoretical strat.
Squamiger wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 21:09
what about an age 2 timing w musk/xbow/huss though? I feel like that usually works vs this firepit laming.
Aztec just plays age2 vs that and win. Aztec age2 play is already overall better than Fre. However if Fre has the defender advantage it is hard for Aztecs to win with aggro builds. Aztecs would have to do a boomy age2 build but in that case French just age up and win by tech advantage and, at worst, only marginally worse eco.
However if French try to rush Aztecs they get punished super hard by a countertiming + better colonial scaling (especially because of the 10wp).
if i wait till age 3 i feel like the aztec base is too secure / the boom is too far along, hard to stop them from massing or going age 4
Thing is French don't have to stop Aztec from going anywhere. In an hypotetic nr10 or nr20 game French still is at worst even with Aztecs. That is as long as there are no fuck ups in the build, like not going greedy enough, not aging to IV if needed, etc. And in a real game the first 5huss raid is going to do atleast some little damage in terms of idle time/ diverting Aztec player's focus from macro.
Image Image Image
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Garja wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 00:18
Wasn't it exactly vs you on RE qs on Sonora that I held your Russia rush with 10wp defense + counter push?
Both impressive and worrying that you remember something like this :hmm:
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

Here is one of my latest games against adventuremode. I won twice against him before that, but I just don't really know how to deal with his age 2 properly. I feel like there were many chances for me to take the game, but his age 4 really caught me off guard. Last fight was an absolute disaster as well.
Attachments
[SP] adventuremode[MX] vs M.F.D.[FR] - afNiger Delta.age3yrec
(8.35 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
afNiger Delta
afNiger Delta
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

One more thing to add, since I just restructured all my preexisting French Decks, I don't have an Anti-Water deck. I feel like that could have changed outcome drastically, to the point where two caravells might have won me the game.
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

In General, what do you guys consider to be important Macro-points in Age 2? I feel like you really have to be on point here to properly pull of your strat, because you are not that fast.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Basic stuff would be: sending 4 CBD immediately on age up; steel traps on time; resource distribution suited to what you are trying to build and for any eventual age up. Also herding well and avoiding long walk times in general.
Ask a pro for more detailed stuff.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

first off let me say, wow, thanks for asking for feedback. That's very brave of you, you're putting yourself out there and you feel vulnerable because of that.

Overall it was a good game. You did well and believe me when I say that, yes, I definitely watched it.

Because I watched it I can be very sure of what exactly you're doing wrong.

1) herd better
2) always make villagers and idle less
3) macro better. spend your resources and never take a fight while banking resources
4) dont delete your army by not paying attention to it. practice rock paper scissors.
5) send better cards at better times

Other than that you're well on your way to improving mate!
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

tabben wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 02:14
Garja wrote:
30 Apr 2022, 00:18
Both impressive and worrying that you remember something like this :hmm:
This is @Kawapasaka level game remembrance
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

callentournies wrote:
02 May 2022, 21:35
first off let me say, wow, thanks for asking for feedback. That's very brave of you, you're putting yourself out there and you feel vulnerable because of that.

Overall it was a good game. You did well and believe me when I say that, yes, I definitely watched it.

Because I watched it I can be very sure of what exactly you're doing wrong.

1) herd better
2) always make villagers and idle less
3) macro better. spend your resources and never take a fight while banking resources
4) dont delete your army by not paying attention to it. practice rock paper scissors.
5) send better cards at better times

Other than that you're well on your way to improving mate!
Phew, thanks for pointing that out man. It is indeed tough, asking question like this on the internet where you basically reveal yourself by doing so. Thanks for the appreciation.

I am glad you watched it, otherwise the hours that I tried to get a decent replay would have been wasted:) And thanks, I thought so too, really good game.

And this list is where I can see that you are a true pro player. With just this one replay, you found my most detailed mistakes. I didn't even know about half of them actually being mistakes. Really happy that you cleared that up! It takes a really professional player to get into that kind of deep gameplay knowledge that is needed to figure these issues out. honestly, that is just damn impressive.

With those details improvement guidelines of your, I am sure that I will able to accomplis my ELO goal of 0815. Cheers again man!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Callen is trolling you mate.
India Realife_Brahmin
Skirmisher
ESO: Realife_Brahmin

Post by Realife_Brahmin »

Perhaps refrain from trolling/writing-sarcastically with people who are apparently new to the forum and just answer seriously.
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

Damn, and here I thought I was being enough over the top that it was clear that I was being sarcastic. After his message about being circumcised and looking through his last 50 contributions, none of which were helpful or serious, I kind of got the idea, leading to the message above. But thanks guys for making sure I am aware of his trolling. Honestly appreciate it!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

you can always count on @chris1089
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

MMFD wrote:
03 May 2022, 11:09
Damn, and here I thought I was being enough over the top that it was clear that I was being sarcastic. After his message about being circumcised and looking through his last 50 contributions, none of which were helpful or serious, I kind of got the idea, leading to the message above. But thanks guys for making sure I am aware of his trolling. Honestly appreciate it!
I knew you were being sarcastic bud
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

@Guigs If you are still up for it, there is a longer rec up now:) Thanks in advance.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

MMFD wrote:
04 May 2022, 08:01
@Guigs If you are still up for it, there is a longer rec up now:) Thanks in advance.
I wish I could but i'm getting this error :
Attachments
Capture d’écran (195).png

Germany Joe
Dragoon

Re:

Post by Joe »

Lecastete wrote:
04 May 2022, 14:15
MMFD wrote:
you cant open a rec if there is a " . " in the name
France Guigs
Tournament Admin

Post by Guigs »

Kartoffel Joe wrote:
04 May 2022, 14:18
Lecastete wrote:
04 May 2022, 14:15
MMFD wrote:
you cant open a rec if there is a " . " in the name
xD makes sense. Now I can finally nerd GG.Revnak recs

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Good to see ITT that ESOC manages to parse recs with a dot in their name, but the official aoe3 tool can't open them. Why am I not surprised
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Guigs
Tournament Admin

Post by Guigs »

MMFD wrote:
Alright big guy.
Spoiler

Austria MMFD
Crossbow

Post by MMFD »

@Guigs Thank you so much for taking all that time for actually watching the whole thing and writing up that analysis. Really appreciate it!

Some of the stuff that you criticised was just my bad, meaning that I do know that you shouldn't do that, I just made that mistake anyways. But most of it was just my actual gameplay, so I learned a lot from that write-up.

About that Skirm shipment, when would you consider sending in that 15% ranged attack? At what mass do you find an upgrade better than more troops? I am always a bit hesitant with that card, as I never used it before recently seeing it in Kaisers deck.

Thats all so far. Thanks again to you, Lecastete, and to alle the other (helpful) answers before. All your input already helped me a lot!
France Guigs
Tournament Admin

Post by Guigs »

MMFD wrote:
04 May 2022, 15:38
@Guigs Thank you so much for taking all that time for actually watching the whole thing and writing up that analysis. Really appreciate it!
No worries :)
MMFD wrote:
04 May 2022, 15:38
About that Skirm shipment, when would you consider sending in that 15% ranged attack? At what mass do you find an upgrade better than more troops? I am always a bit hesitant with that card, as I never used it before recently seeing it in Kaisers deck.
When your composition is mostly vet musketeers and some skirms it's always worth it. It can give you the ranged infantry edge as well as making your anti cav better.
As for upgrades instead of unit shipment it's really situational. In general I'd say send units shipment when you feel behind to catch up in unit count and send units upgrades when you're ahead to outtech your opponent