How to exploit civ weaknesses vs new civs?

United States of America alistairpeter
Dragoon
ESO: alistairpeter

How to exploit civ weaknesses vs new civs?

Post by alistairpeter »

what are some weaknesses to keep in mind vs Mexico, Hausa, USA, Inca, and Ethiopia? At my level most games Mexico makes cannon, but recently faced a strong colonial rush that I couldn't scout. Inca seems to be a strange bag of tricks, I feel like I want to push early to siege houses, but they have strong age 2; if they go fortress I see fort in base that can hide units. Feels hard to figure out where to push while auto gathering from houses. Sometimes they do the rush I can hold depending on my civ. Ethiopia just gets that canon or rushes me, they haven't felt too bad lately, but that's probably because their elo is inflated. USA doesn't feel too bad to face, unless they do something weird it reminds me of playing vs Spain, I just want a clear understanding of potential weaknesses in the civ. I have no idea what Hausa does other than build some kind of eco building in base, and protect with forts. Feels hard to push into base, I have to try to win in a good location to fight and have good control of units, but they have a weird composition. Is there a way to see the unit stats without owning these civs? I still find myself hovering over african units to see what they even do, by the time I get them down new civ will be out 21.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Re: How to exploit civ weaknesses vs new civs?

Post by Squamiger »

well there's this: viewtopic.php?t=23963

it's a little outdated though now, since these civs get lots of changes and adjustments.

I've played a bit of Ethiopia. The civ has a really strong age 2 timing around 7 to 7:30. I have felt like I lose when people rush to interrupt my ability to mass, and I mean really RUSH, not just age 2 timing themselves. The age 2 ethiopia timing with dervishes beats almost every other age 2 timing in the game. But if you can pressure between 5-6 minutes, you can disrupt that timing, and kill the units as they pop out from the war camp / native embassy.

the other alternative that works against this is to just turtle with full light infantry and maybe some hand cav. light infantry like longbows or skirms mostly negates the main strength of the ethiopia composition, which is dervishes, which are basically ranged urumi. It's pretty much impossible to push with gascenya + dervish into a full mass of longbows or skirms. Then ethiopia has to switch to shotels, which just kind of suck, or age for the mortar, which is really not that good.

speaking of which, if ethiopia ages, try to lure them into a fight. the mortar is so slow that its really much better defensively, where you can wedge it in your base and have abuns healing it. if ethiopia is sitting in base with their mortar waiting for you to come to them, dont do them a favor-- just contain them and starve them of res, dont commit to a fight. make them take the mortar out onto the map. offensively, its so slow that you can almost just kite it, and its pretty easy to catch it out of position. or otherwise, if the ethio player is doing a good job at protecting it, that means that their whole army is traveling at a snail's pace, which you can exploit by raiding and cutting off reinforcements with faster units.

so yea i'd say the ultimate anti-ethiopia strat would be to raid / rush between 5-6 minutes, then defend the age 2 timing with light infantry, then age and mass and contain, and try to draw the ethio mortar out on the map.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

i dunno
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Great Britain LionHeart
Skirmisher
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by LionHeart »

PLay each of the civs in 1v1 and team games, enough so you fully understand what they are capable of, what all the cards do, their ecos/military etc. SO when you play against those civs, you know how to counter play them, predict their tactics by looking at decks etc
Italy MaxMagous
Skirmisher
ESO: MaxMagous

Post by MaxMagous »

Mexico, USA : watch LionHeart_uk
Swedes, Mexico: watch risotto_aoe
Hausa, Inca, Ethiopia: idk say a prayer
look wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 08:55
Kaiserklein wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 07:42
Well nvm, none of these dates work for me
who care? unfortunately, one must decide to be an aoe3 pro or not
United States of America alistairpeter
Dragoon
ESO: alistairpeter

Post by alistairpeter »

I didn't buy the new civs and I don't plan on buying them, they don't feel like aoe3 civs. When I say weakness, I mean like how china and russia aren't the greatest anti cav civs, how otto has no eco and doesn't appreciate getting raided, rushing japan or greedy play etc. what are some smart moves or counter plays to use against these civs? every civ has some kind of weakness
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

alistairpeter wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 06:02
I didn't buy the new civs and I don't plan on buying them, they don't feel like aoe3 civs. When I say weakness, I mean like how china and russia aren't the greatest anti cav civs, how otto has no eco and doesn't appreciate getting raided, rushing japan or greedy play etc. what are some smart moves or counter plays to use against these civs? every civ has some kind of weakness
The future is now, old man.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag rukisrecord
Crossbow

Post by rukisrecord »

if you make 4 TCs, everyciv without japan can't do anything tbh
this game is so simply and easy
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

MaxMagous wrote:
27 Apr 2022, 10:17
Mexico, USA : watch LionHeart_uk
Swedes, Mexico: watch risotto_aoe
Hausa, Inca, Ethiopia: idk say a prayer
Reminder: Only prayers to Garja actually work, don't waste your energy on other whacky imaginary gods. You're welcome.