Hausa - does it even exist anymore?

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Hausa - does it even exist anymore?

Post by dansil92 »

It seems Hausa has dropped off the radar for essentially every player now. Does a modern guide & build order exist for them? Do any high level players use them consistently? I'm coming back to the game after a long break and I've always favoured cavalry civs so I thought hausa looked worth learning
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Re: Hausa - does it even exist anymore?

Post by look »

african civs have a very bad design
they should delet it
but I see some players playing hausa and ethi

I believe it is not fun to use these two civs
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Nothing really exists, including fun

think about it
French Southern Territories kevinitalien
Lancer
ESO: KEVINITALIEN
Clan: PLOP

Post by kevinitalien »

look wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 14:00
they should delet it

civ are fun and require skill to play, not like otto
Image Image
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

kevinitalien wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 14:31
look wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 14:00
they should delet it

civ are fun and require skill to play, not like otto
it's just your point of view, but ok!
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

thank you all for your contributions
India iron_turtle
Skirmisher
ESO: iron_turtle

Post by iron_turtle »

dansil92 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 13:49
It seems Hausa has dropped off the radar for essentially every player now. Does a modern guide & build order exist for them? Do any high level players use them consistently? I'm coming back to the game after a long break and I've always favoured cavalry civs so I thought hausa looked worth learning
I am not a high level player, but I think the problem (feature) with Hausa is there is no set standard card order or age up order yet. A case can be made for all ageups. I have seen high level players go with all of them. Before this patch, I was seeing players making 1-2 palaces and turtling up a bit. And pushing out with fulani - javelins. No batch goes unfinished as you can get instant res from selling cows. Fulani - javelins spam beat all I think.

At lower level like me, you can get away with akan musk spam.
>3 vills
>get hausa kingdom when the age up progress bar reaches 'O' of exploration, so it actually ships in age2
>ship palace card
>ship gaananci, make akans
>some age2 pressure/defense, but not all in
>700influence
>sell cow for coin and ageup, keep massing akans
>send sennar horsemen for 1k influence
>right click with auto upgraded aoe damage musks and mamelukes
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

Hausa seem very weak currently. A major issue is the lack of an age 3 artillery shipment for tempo. Other civs hit age 3 and send 2 falcs or fixed gun or big mortar even inca can send big fort but what do hausa have? All of the good age 3 shipments also cost an additional 1000 influence. Artillery is also still harder for them to acquire despite recent buffs.

Their eco is fine in general and there are some decent strats like the akan but overall still slow and weak. 1.08% shipment penalty also feels like way too much for getting a unfattened cow.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

I gotta be honest and say so many of these ageup techs feels impossibly useless, overpriced, or both. The ageup bonuses also aren't fantastic. I enjoy working out new build orders but this civ has me lost. so many genuinely terrible shipments

also, fulani feel trash to me, is that a me problem or a stats problem
Korea South Miyawaki Sakura
Dragoon
ESO: April

Post by Miyawaki Sakura »

dansil92 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 21:11
I gotta be honest and say so many of these ageup techs feels impossibly useless, overpriced, or both. The ageup bonuses also aren't fantastic. I enjoy working out new build orders but this civ has me lost. so many genuinely terrible shipments

They're a weak version of the lb
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Eh..fulani is one of the best archers in the game, and hausa age ups are all great. Age2 age ups are worth 500 res, age3 age ups are mostly useful (xp or wood/gold crates, even 7 ankobia is fine for some strats).
Hausa are not bad, they even have decent FI to cope with DE meta. I'll probably post some basic builds at some point.
Image Image Image
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

they had 1 good unit last patch and now have 0 good units
don't think even a G build can save them
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

dansil92 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 21:11

Most of the techs are a complete waste of time yeah.

Berber age up might be ok now they lowered the price of berber villagers if you want an eco start. Hausa is also quite good to go age 3 as you get kingdom builders for 400 influence so you can make a couple of cheap tc wagons.

Fulani are ok I think if you get the range card.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Seems Ethiopia is quite popular this patch, but Hausa is not. They have no musk and no skirm, and this cannot be covered by shipment (Ethiopia doesn't have skirm in age 2 but they have sudan and cannoner). They have a hard time dealing with strong musketeer type units.

Fulani can kite musket if you have enough micro, but sometimes you need them to stand there and kill muskets fast (e.g against carolean cannon combo), while fulani cannot do this instead of skirmisher. If you do a semiFF you have to upgrade fulani and you don't have extra shipment to get 20 range fulani; if you play colonial you have to use trash raiders instead of tanky fortress cav.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Garja wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 21:56
Eh..fulani is one of the best archers in the game, and hausa age ups are all great. Age2 age ups are worth 500 res, age3 age ups are mostly useful (xp or wood/gold crates, even 7 ankobia is fine for some strats).
Hausa are not bad, they even have decent FI to cope with DE meta. I'll probably post some basic builds at some point.
I'm interested to know why you think fulani are so good? stats wise they seem slightly above average in hp, average in ranged hp, and barely above macehualtin in dps but with a worse multi. I can see why they will trade ok with things like crossbows and similar units, but i dont see them performing well against strong muskets in normal circumstances. Insights would be really helpful.

Raiders look very good for cost except the 180 hp breakpoint is a bit rough, much like ep8 uhlans.

Lifdi have probably the saddest trail of nerfs I've seen for any unit, they look quite poor now.

Some of the musket-esque units look really strong. Magadi, the splashy musket nats, desert warrior dudes even. There's just a catch for all of them that makes them feel impractical in an already slow civ.
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

fei123456 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 23:51
Seems Ethiopia is quite popular this patch, but Hausa is not. They have no musk and no skirm, and this cannot be covered by shipment (Ethiopia doesn't have skirm in age 2 but they have sudan and cannoner). They have a hard time dealing with strong musketeer type units.
They do have akan which are really strong and relatively cheap for how good they are. Lack of skirm sucks though, before you could go corsair marksmen but they got made 2 pop now and nerfed too much.
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

Hausa do have a skirm. If you age up with Morocco you can pay 300 influence on the University to unlock Corsair Markmans on the towers. The tech also give you a tower wagon.

I used to age with Morocco, unlock Markman, send the 5 Lifidis card that unlocked Lifidis on age2 and play Markman/Javelins/Lifidi on age2. Used to be pretty good, skirm/goon/huss composition very early in the game. Don't know how it is the current stae with those Lifidis nerfs thought.
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

Hum. The build seems to still work.

Hausa have 3 vills back again. So I guess you can ship 3 vills, build a TP in transition, ship Hausa Kingdoms to have a extra TP and a University wagon on age 2 and the exp crates from Morrocans the age up still gives you a shipment on age 2 + mosque for more xp trickle. The build is even more smooth then before.
5 Lifidi is 4 now and they seem to be nerfed, thought.

I need to test further, but I guess this build still seem to work well. It solves the problem of Fulani being underwhelming that you guys are complaining about it by using Markman's instead.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

a forum ghost wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 02:56

Hausa have 3 vills back again. So I guess you can ship 3 vills, build a TP in transition, ship Hausa Kingdoms to have a extra TP and a University wagon on age 2 and the exp crates from Morrocans the age up still gives you a shipment on age 2 + mosque for more xp trickle. The build is even more smooth then before.

I need to test further, but I guess this build still seem to work well. It solves the problem of Fulani being underwhelming that you guys are complaining about it by using Markman's instead.
this looks really good on paper. lifidi are pretty nerfed but still tankier than essentially any other age 2 cav, double cardable too. I'll have to give this one a shot, I like marksmen

Edit: was thinking, with lifidi nerfed and card nerfed, what about shipping the card that ships and unlocks Akan muskets, the splash dmg ones. That would be a very strong composition with some raiders (desert raiders at the tower or regular ones at the war camp depending on how macro plays out i guess). I'll check how that goes too.
Brazil look
Howdah

Post by look »

Scylla-x wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 19:57
Hausa seem very weak currently. A major issue is the lack of an age 3 artillery shipment for tempo. Other civs hit age 3 and send 2 falcs or fixed gun or big mortar even inca can send big fort but what do hausa have? All of the good age 3 shipments also cost an additional 1000 influence. Artillery is also still harder for them to acquire despite recent buffs.

Their eco is fine in general and there are some decent strats like the akan but overall still slow and weak. 1.08% shipment penalty also feels like way too much for getting a unfattened cow.
you just can't forget that hausa age 3 units look like age IV units
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

dansil92 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 00:18
Garja wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 21:56
I'm interested to know why you think fulani are so good? stats wise they seem slightly above average in hp, average in ranged hp, and barely above macehualtin in dps but with a worse multi. I can see why they will trade ok with things like crossbows and similar units, but i dont see them performing well against strong muskets in normal circumstances. Insights would be really helpful.

Raiders look very good for cost except the 180 hp breakpoint is a bit rough, much like ep8 uhlans.

Lifdi have probably the saddest trail of nerfs I've seen for any unit, they look quite poor now.

Some of the musket-esque units look really strong. Magadi, the splashy musket nats, desert warrior dudes even. There's just a catch for all of them that makes them feel impractical in an already slow civ.
Well think about it, you can have 120hp 20range 18 attack unit in age2, with insta shooting and 4.5 speed. It's basically a wakina skirmisher wiht 20 range one age earlier. Then they also get a combat card in age3. On top of that they're relatively cheap. It's basically a yumi alike unit and when you get an absurd amount of them they start beating their counters (with minimal support from anticav or similar). The only drawback is the 20% rr and somewhat not great multiplier vs heavy infantry (altho standard for archer units). This means that you have to kite to avoid taking unecessary damage (but it's not hard when you have 20 range, 4.5 speed and literally instant shooting).
fei123456 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 23:51
Fulani can kite musket if you have enough micro, but sometimes you need them to stand there and kill muskets fast (e.g against carolean cannon combo), while fulani cannot do this instead of skirmisher. If you do a semiFF you have to upgrade fulani and you don't have extra shipment to get 20 range fulani; if you play colonial you have to use trash raiders instead of tanky fortress cav.
To be fair skirmishers also have to kite against musks or they don't counter them that well. Fulani dps against heavy infantry is still high because the base damage is way better than a skirmisher.
As for the range card, sometimes you don't need it immediately because you craft your semi to be a 3 unit combo build (so cav will snare and everything will fight at same time without skirmishers poking at each other). Other times you can send it in transition if you make a TP in age1 using all 3 cows (which btw you should if the plan is a simple semi FF).
Image Image Image
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

dansil92 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 04:16
a forum ghost wrote:

this looks really good on paper. lifidi are pretty nerfed but still tankier than essentially any other age 2 cav, double cardable too. I'll have to give this one a shot, I like marksmen

Edit: was thinking, with lifidi nerfed and card nerfed, what about shipping the card that ships and unlocks Akan muskets, the splash dmg ones. That would be a very strong composition with some raiders (desert raiders at the tower or regular ones at the war camp depending on how macro plays out i guess). I'll check how that goes too.
Yeah, I playtested a little bit with akans, and I feel that this build can work. The macro is a little weird because akan and raiders are food heavy and marksmans are coin heavy, but I guess I can adjust the macro with some further practice.

My build is essentially: Eat first cattle and build market -> queue first vill then use a single vill to herd and build granary while the others finish eating the first cattle -> everyone on food -> when a cattle can be sold for 150w-175w, sell it and build a house and get first food upgrade -> ships 3 vills -> go up with 15 vills with Morocco (Can be 14 if you find a good food treasure) -> get the wood upgrade -> everyone on wood apart from 2-3 vills on food and herding -> chop a TP and 300 wood for a war camp and second food upgrade when you get to age2, then 4 vills on gold, everyone else on food -> send Hausa Kingdoms during transition -> when hitting age 2 build a war camp and sell a cattle for coin to get second food upgrade + get coin for first raiders -> collect xp crates and send palace wagon + 300 influence -> finish first batch of raiders and collect the influence to unlock the markmans + towers and start a second batch of raiders -> if you putted university and palace near the TC you gonna have enough influence and xp for akans to be the 4th card, finish second batch of raiders.

And here I will have to figure how is the best macro to produce akan and markman. I fell like the 5th card can be 5 raiders with a batch of akans from war hut and one of corsair markmans from the tower is a good early mass that can do some damage.

I think this build is promising. I will see if I can refine it.
Great Britain Scylla-x
Crossbow

Post by Scylla-x »

a forum ghost wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 22:06
dansil92 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 04:16
a forum ghost wrote:

Yeah, I playtested a little bit with akans, and I feel that this build can work. The macro is a little weird because akan and raiders are food heavy and marksmans are coin heavy, but I guess I can adjust the macro with some further practice.

My build is essentially: Eat first cattle and build market -> queue first vill then use a single vill to herd and build granary while the others finish eating the first cattle -> everyone on food -> when a cattle can be sold for 150w-175w, sell it and build a house and get first food upgrade -> ships 3 vills -> go up with 15 vills with Morocco (Can be 14 if you find a good food treasure) -> get the wood upgrade -> everyone on wood apart from 2-3 vills on food and herding -> chop a TP and 300 wood for a war camp and second food upgrade when you get to age2, then 4 vills on gold, everyone else on food -> send Hausa Kingdoms during transition -> when hitting age 2 build a war camp and sell a cattle for coin to get second food upgrade + get coin for first raiders -> collect xp crates and send palace wagon + 300 influence -> finish first batch of raiders and collect the influence to unlock the markmans + towers and start a second batch of raiders -> if you putted university and palace near the TC you gonna have enough influence and xp for akans to be the 4th card, finish second batch of raiders.

And here I will have to figure how is the best macro to produce akan and markman. I fell like the 5th card can be 5 raiders with a batch of akans from war hut and one of corsair markmans from the tower is a good early mass that can do some damage.

I think this build is promising. I will see if I can refine it.
Are corsair marksman even worth using now? They've been nerfed in consecutive patches and now they're a 2 pop unit.
No Flag a forum ghost
Musketeer

Post by a forum ghost »

I think they are ok, at least on early game. Might not be late game when pop space starts mattering.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

since raiders and the akan are 1 pop its probably ok?