Backward Compatibility for Aoe3DE Rec Game?

Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Backward Compatibility for Aoe3DE Rec Game?

Post by DayanG »

Hi, I wanted to know that there is an external program or a mod that allows you to have a backward compatibility of the rec games, I would like to relate to old games that I have played of different versions. I remembered that someone from the forum had created an external program to have backwards compatibility but I don't know if it still exists or I was wrong. If you have a program or mod can you share it?
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Re: Backward Compatibility for Aoe3DE Rec Game?

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

unfortunately there is no such feature in aoe3:DE. there was in the fan patch for the old version of the "EP - Esoc Patch". Unfortunately any game in prior patches might as well be deleted, i dont see the devs implementing backward compatibility now
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Hi, I did create an external tool when DE first came out, but it wasn't really feasible to maintain (viewtopic.php?f=985&t=22050&p=505332).

I was trying to create a minimal diff package so it didn't require downloading basically the whole game again, but I wasn't able to keep the download small and maintain compatibility, and I ended up a bit uncomfortable distributing the amount of the game files required for compatibility.

I think you could restore an older version of the game using a tool like this Steam Depot downloader: https://github.com/SteamRE/DepotDownloader. And then that would allow you to view older recorded games. It would require a pretty big download just to view a recorded game, though. This strategy would of course only work for Steam users. If there's interest, I could try putting a UI on top of that to at least identify, the correct game version for the rec, automate the process of switching versions, and maybe cache some of the version's files locally.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

musketeer925 wrote: ↑
16 Jan 2022, 17:50
Hi, I did create an external tool when DE first came out, but it wasn't really feasible to maintain (viewtopic.php?f=985&t=22050&p=505332).

I was trying to create a minimal diff package so it didn't require downloading basically the whole game again, but I wasn't able to keep the download small and maintain compatibility, and I ended up a bit uncomfortable distributing the amount of the game files required for compatibility.

I think you could restore an older version of the game using a tool like this Steam Depot downloader: https://github.com/SteamRE/DepotDownloader. And then that would allow you to view older recorded games. It would require a pretty big download just to view a recorded game, though. This strategy would of course only work for Steam users. If there's interest, I could try putting a UI on top of that to at least identify, the correct game version for the rec, automate the process of switching versions, and maybe cache some of the version's files locally.
I remembered something like that you did for Aoe3De but I didn't know it had this limit, so if I understand correctly the only way is to go back in the versions with steam depot? In case if you can do something to define the version of the rec game that would be great. Thanks for all ^_^
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

so if I understand correctly the only way is to go back in the versions with steam depot
That's correct. I went through and updated our database table that identifies rec versions, so if you look at the recorded game search page or an attachment, that should show the version of the recorded game:

To find the release date, you can then go cross-reference the news posts on the official site here: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/?page ... #newsPosts

Locate the latest game manifest ID that seems to correspond with that update, using the dates:
https://steamdb.info/depot/933111/manifests/

Then using DepotDownloader you can download the game files for that version like this:

Code: Select all

DepotDownloader.exe -app 933110 -depot 933111 -manifest 3502290014427690652 -username <steam username> -password <steam password>

Not sure if you'll have to drop those files in-place in the steam install directory, or if you can run the game executable from wherever you downloaded it, and then launch the game and try to watch you recorded game.

Note that I haven't actually tried doing this, but I think it should theoretically work as long as you get the right version, and if the older version launches correctly.

I'll see about at least trying to get a tool put together that can ID your rec version and give you the right manifest ID without having to upload a rec to ESOC.
Rainbow Land callentournies
Howdah
ESO: esuck

Post by callentournies »

I "like" your post
If I were a petal
And plucked, or moth, plucked
From flowers or pollen froth
To wither on a young child’s
Display. Fetch
Me a ribbon, they, all dead
Things scream.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Update: I tested this out, and it does seem to work.

I downloaded a recorded game for version 47581 and manifest ID 4771437915371768058. I did have to rename my existing game installation, and then copy the downloaded files in where steam expected them. For me, that's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE3DE. I launched directly through the executable (AoE3DE_s.exe), but I don't think launching through Steam would make any difference.

Don't forget to swap your files back when you're done.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

Thanks for everything you did and sorry if I answer a little late, I'll test everything as soon as I can.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

16 Jan 2022, 21:12
so if I understand correctly the only way is to go back in the versions with steam depot
That's correct. I went through and updated our database table that identifies rec versions, so if you look at the recorded game search page or an attachment, that should show the version of the recorded game:

To find the release date, you can then go cross-reference the news posts on the official site here: https://www.ageofempires.com/news/?page ... #newsPosts

Locate the latest game manifest ID that seems to correspond with that update, using the dates:
https://steamdb.info/depot/933111/manifests/

Then using DepotDownloader you can download the game files for that version like this:

Code: Select all

DepotDownloader.exe -app 933110 -depot 933111 -manifest 3502290014427690652 -username <steam username> -password <steam password>

Not sure if you'll have to drop those files in-place in the steam install directory, or if you can run the game executable from wherever you downloaded it, and then launch the game and try to watch you recorded game.

Note that I haven't actually tried doing this, but I think it should theoretically work as long as you get the right version, and if the older version launches correctly.

I'll see about at least trying to get a tool put together that can ID your rec version and give you the right manifest ID without having to upload a rec to ESOC.
I did not understand how to use depot downloader, I downloaded it and tried to start the application but in addition to exiting a black screen in a span of 0.5 seconds it does nothing else. Am I wrong something?
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

DayanG wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2022, 20:02
I did not understand how to use depot downloader, I downloaded it and tried to start the application but in addition to exiting a black screen in a span of 0.5 seconds it does nothing else. Am I wrong something?
Hi, yeah, you'll need to use a command prompt application.

Click your start menu, type Command Prompt, and you should get a black screen that sticks around. It should say something like "C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>" in the prompt.

If you have the folder open when DepotDownloader.exe is, you can copy the path to the directory from the top of windows explorer:

and then type cd into your command prompt, paste that in (put it in quotes if it has any spaces), to get something like:

then you can paste the "DepotDownloader.exe" command from my previous post and hit enter. This will start the download.
Earth DayanG
Musketeer

Post by DayanG »

21 Jan 2022, 01:13
DayanG wrote: ↑
20 Jan 2022, 20:02
Hi, yeah, you'll need to use a command prompt application.

Click your start menu, type Command Prompt, and you should get a black screen that sticks around. It should say something like "C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>" in the prompt.

If you have the folder open when DepotDownloader.exe is, you can copy the path to the directory from the top of windows explorer:

and then type cd into your command prompt, paste that in (put it in quotes if it has any spaces), to get something like:

then you can paste the "DepotDownloader.exe" command from my previous post and hit enter. This will start the download.
Ok understood, thanks very much for the answer ^_^